1,635 of 1,721 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but ..., March 25, 2012
This review is from: Apple iPad MD328LL/A (16GB, Wi-Fi, White) 3rd Generation (Personal Computers)
I've been a big iPad fan and was waiting anxiously for the third generation to come out. I bought the original iPad, and when the 2 came out, I happily sold the 1 and upgraded. I was thrilled with the thinner, lighter and improved iPad 2. So naturally, when word came out that the third one was about to be released in March 2012, I was right on board to buy one. Sold my 2 and preordered the 3 from Apple the day it was released.

I was hoping the third gen wouldn't be noticibly thicker and heavier than the 2, but unfortunately it was. I could definitely tell the difference when reading ebooks, which I do a lot. I couldn't really tell any difference between the speed and clarity of the 3, but to be fair, I didn't compare the two models side by side. I've no doubt the 3 is superior in this regard. I don't use the cameras, so don't care about this since I have a very nice digital camera for that.

The one thing about the third generation iPad that concerned me was the heat issue. Shortly after receiving it, I was reading an ebook and noticed the left side was warm. Not hot, but definitely warm enough for me to notice it. This reminded me of laptops I've had that have overheated and shut down, and here I was only reading a book. My iPad 2 never had this problem and I used it a lot. I also had some difficulty backing up the 3 to the cloud, again, something that wasn't ever a problem with the 2.

After reading some reviews of others experiencing the heating problem with the latest iPad, and really missing the thinner and lighter iPad 2 , I decided to return the iPad 3 to my local Apple store and buy a new iPad 2. They had no problem taking it back and I was glad to see the 2 had come down in price. When the sales associate asked me why I was returning the 3, I told him about the heat problem. He didn't seem surprised and said it was because the 3 has a larger battery.

The third gen has a faster CPU and retina dsplay, but I never thought the 2 had any problems with speed, and the clarity of the display has always seemed fine to me. But I'm certainly no expert. I'm very happy I made the exchange and enjoying using my iPad 2 again. For my uses--books, internet, email and games, the cooler, thinner and lighter iPad 2 is a better choice for me.

By the way, I just want to add that I think it's unfair to compare the Kindle Fire and Nook to the iPad. These devices are just ebook readers and they're fine for that--I've tried them both. Rather like saying, okay, you can buy this Mercedes or you can get the Volkswagen. Once you've used an iPad, you're totally spoiled and trying to browse the Internet with a Kindle or Nook is an exercise in frustration after using an iPad.

Update January 7, 2014 - since writing this review for the iPad 3, which I ended up returning, I've moved on to the iPad Air, which is noticeably lighter and faster than the iPad 2.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 15 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 75 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 10, 2012 10:50:29 PM PDT
STEVELLEN says:
Great, honest testimony.

Posted on Apr 11, 2012 4:49:24 AM PDT
Thanks for sharing your experience with the new iPad. I'll stick to my iPad2 and skip the new one.

Posted on Apr 11, 2012 10:03:34 AM PDT
dlb says:
The new iPad is onlyDepth: 0.37 inch (9.4 mm)
Weight: 1.44 pounds (652 g)
The iPad2 is

Depth: 0.34 inch (8.8 mm)
Weight: 1.33 pounds (601 g) .11 of an ounce and .03 of an inch made you that uncomfortable? Mine does not get hot, did you take it back to switch it out?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2012 1:39:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 12, 2012 1:43:04 PM PDT
Bookenz says:
If you read my review, you saw that yes, I did return my iPad 3 to Apple and bought an iPad 2. The sales clerk admitted the 3s get hotter on one side because of the larger battery--also mentioned in the review, so this was not because of a defective unit. The 2 is noticeable thinner and lighter when you are holding it -- some may not care about this. I did.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2012 11:20:55 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 17, 2012 11:21:54 PM PDT
Blair says:
Very helpful review!

All of your issues with the iPad 3 are concerns of mine as well. Weight, width and heat. Given my intended use of the iPad, mostly reading and 'net browsing at home or in a coffee shop, I think the iPad 2 will be more than ample, and I'll save some dough.

Question: any reason why I would need more than the minimum memory model?

Posted on Apr 19, 2012 4:36:13 PM PDT
Narada says:
The new iPad is 0.03 inches thicker and 1.5 ounces heavier. You are sensitive indeed, especially given that you did notice any difference in the screen (which is infinitely better, imho).

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2012 10:01:17 PM PDT
C. Nguyen says:
The only advantage I see is the much better camera. Disadvantages are: hot, heavy (hold it for more than 30minutes and tell me how you feel), much longer time to charge, speed is not faster.

Not worth it to do the upgrade at all. Apple can do better than this.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 5:11:47 AM PDT
Narada says:
Well, I don't disagree that apple can do better, but it did quite well (though if you don't need it, you don't need it). It is not hot (slightly warm sometimes, yes, but why is that a drawback?). Heavy: see my comment: it is 1.5 ounces (= 40 grams) heavier. Not a huge difference. I have held it for hours at a time, and was not exhausted thereby.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2012 12:39:24 PM PDT
casper says:
you are biased in your review and noticing very trivial things such as a micro millimeter thicker and about 1/10 of a pound difference BUT you cant see the difference between 1024-by-768 and 2048-by-1536-pixel resolution? lol you are a funny and extremely sensitive dude to complain on that extremely slight difference in depth and weight hahaha

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2012 10:04:11 PM PDT
Casper's comment wasn't the most polite but I agree with the substance of it. I have an iPad 2 and a new iPad, the new iPad is only an ounce or so heavier and you can notice it but it feels like a small difference. The new iPad is a couple millimeters thicker and this is pretty hard to notice. But it seems pretty easy for me to tell the difference in screen quality. CNET and Consumer Reports did systematic testing of the heat issue and find that the new iPad is a little warmer than iPad 2 but not so much to make any significant difference.

Every professional review I've seen on the new ipad hypes the improved display. I'm more inclined to trust the consensus of professional reviewers than this one person.

That said, it is important for people with minority views on a product to feel that their comments are welcome and valued here, as every review and comment gives more information to prospective buyers to help them make better purchase decisions. So I appreciate the time this reviewer took to share his/her views even though I disagree with them.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (1,384 customer reviews)

$499.00 $463.90