1.0 out of 5 stars Used to be fantastic; now...not so much, May 18, 2012
This review is from: Moleskine Art Plus Sketchbook, Large, Plain, Black, Hard Cover (5 x 8.25) (Classic Notebooks) (Hardcover)
This item used to be the ONLY sketchbook that I worked in from 2005-2012. I saved up, once again to replace my moleskine that I've been using since early 2010. I received my item and realized, without even taking off the wrapping, that something was different. The book is a few millimeters shorter than it was before, so I compared it to my old book. The pages are so lightweight now that it's silly to pay the premium for these sketchbooks. They also took the yellow tinge off the pages that I loved in my work.

So I researched: apparently they outsourced to China, from Italy, and the quality has obviously dropped without a drop in price.

I'm returning this new moleskine to either try to find an older book that isn't like this new junk, or try to find a new sketchbook to work with. I REFUSE to work with pages this flimsy, especially when I'm carrying around this sketchbook for 2-3 years, just to potentially have it deteriorate in a lesser amount of time as compared to before and still pay the high price.

If you used this in the past and are expecting it to be the same, don't buy it. If you're wanting to try this book out for the first time, go find something else. There are better and cheaper sketchbooks out there than this...thing...

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 26, 2012 1:37:56 PM PDT
also it now has the warning prop 65 may cause cancer?

Posted on Mar 16, 2013 10:47:31 AM PDT
I use Moleskin...thank you for sharing this valuable information with us at this time. I do like the yellow tinge as it in-hences the art to a higher level. If its not made in Italy anymore, I don't want it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2013 10:56:07 AM PDT
What!!

Posted on Apr 5, 2013 5:09:21 PM PDT
I was going to purchase this item for my niece. Thank you for your review! Did you find something you can recommend?

Posted on May 25, 2013 12:36:03 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 25, 2013 12:38:57 AM PDT
MN Sunny C. says:
Thank you kindly for exposing this issue. These used to be the unchallenged best art journals, hands down, imho. Now I don't even know what kind I am going to be buying in the future. What a dilemma this horrible decision Molskine has caused the masses of art journal enthusiasts. I for one will be writing an email of disappointment to the company, thanking them for the years that I've enjoyed their books and sadly, saying goodbye. I doubt they would change their decision even if everyone reading this emailed them, greed has a terrible way of not letting go, unfortunately.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2013 3:17:19 AM PDT
Alex says:
Patricia, try Stillman and Birn. They have a variety of journals with top quality paper.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2013 7:17:39 PM PDT
Erica says:
apparently the warning applies to californians? Cali is strict on that as that warning is found EVERYWHERE!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2013 2:25:40 PM PDT
Nykki says:
I know that this doesn't apply to the review at all, but I think that the prop 65 IS on everything. Everything causes cancer nowadays I guess. The first time I saw that prop 65 warning I was walking into a doctor's office (born and raised in NY until 2 years ago). It scared the crap out of me, and now I just ignore it.

Posted on Aug 31, 2013 5:04:15 PM PDT
Book Maven says:
I was about to order this Moleskin sketch book because I remembered how good they were, but I saw your review and am glad to know that information! I will not be buying their products unless I can view them in person. How sad that a good product has been ruined, along eventually with the name of Moleskin. Thanks for your review.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2013 12:04:38 AM PDT
Book Maven says:
I know the Prop 65 is on a lot of art supplies but not sure what is the particular chemical or substance that is at fault. It's very alarming but so ubiquitous that it won't be taken very seriously after a while, in my personal opinion.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›