5.0 out of 5 stars Our Little Corner of the World, July 25, 2007
This review is from: Gilmore Girls: The Complete Series Collection (DVD)
I want to preface this review by saying this: I envy each and every person that will forever be able to pick up this set and experience the magic, whimsy, and zanyness of the Gilmore Girls fresh and anew for the first time.

`Gilmore Girls' which ran from 2001-2007 on the WB and CW networks is a show that is simply about a mother and daughter. But it goes so much further than that. This particular mother/daughter combo are best friends and separated in age by a mere 16 years. Yet, more than the interactions between Lorelai and her daughter Rory, typically the zany towns-people are the characters that steal the show. Their incredibly charm, matched with `the Gilmore Girls' wit, all set within the picture-perfect New England town of Stars Hollow, makes "Gilmore Girls" seem almost like a story book fantasy.

The series begins with Lorelai reluctantly starting to rebuild her relationship with her waspy high-society parents, after they agree to fund Rory's private school education. Throughout the seven seasons the audience watches as Lorelai relationship with her parents start to blossom, as well as the bond that forever strengthens between her and her own daughter, Rory. Lorelai was raised as a princess, but always hated her parents for the rules that society put upon her - hence why she ran away from home when she was 16 and pregnant. Throughout the years as well, the audience watches as Rory grows from an innocent and naïve 15-year-old girl, into a mature and seasoned 22-year-old college graduate.

It's impossible to put into words just how magical this show really is. And it is not the perpetual `chick-flick' that many write-it off as. It is infact probably one of the smartest and best written television shows to grace the small-screen in recent years. One would need several PH D.s in Popular Culture to get even 80% of the refrences that these girls throw around. And beyond that the performances of the actors makes this show something special. And, although the show started as a drama, the humor was always present and by the middle of season one the glimpses of the great comedy to come started to make themselves known.

My review my sound like a very proud grand-parent raving about their grandchild, but that shows the love I have for this magical series. I watched from the very first episode at 14 years-old with my best friend until the series finale in my apartment during my sophomore year of college (with the same friend by my side, traveling 700 miles so we could watch it together). I have loved every moment, and will buy this set in a heartbeat.

This DVD set includes all 153 episodes on 42 DVDs in their original full-frame broadcast video with Dolby Surround Sound. Special Features include a "Welcome to the Gilmore Girls" documentary, deleted scenes from select episodes, pop-culture montages, a `gilmoreism' book, commentary on "I Jump, you Jump Jack" by series creators Amy Sherman-Palladino and Daniel Palladino, as well as several `behind-the-scenes' featurettes.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 25, 2007 5:52:09 PM PDT
MollyRK says:
Wow, you wrote a really nice review. Beautifully written and pretty much the exact same thing I would have said, if only I could put the words together as well as you. :) This is, indeed, a magical show and should not be missed.

Posted on Aug 13, 2007 1:56:09 PM PDT
Molly Mayhem says:
I couldn't have said it better myself- this show is magical, and has deeply touched my heart. I can't wait until my daughter is old enough to appreciate it and love it as I (and many, many others) have.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2007 6:24:19 PM PDT
I know! My niece is 9 years old and she is constantly asking me about my DVDs, because she knows how much I and her 'aunt' (my best friend) love the show. We keep telling her she has to wait till she is 12 or 13 to watch the show. Mostly because we want her to understand the popular culture refrences and not get bored by the romantic storylines.

Posted on Nov 13, 2007 10:25:59 AM PST
J. Turner says:
Wouldn't the last couple of seasons be in 16:9 High Definition?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2007 5:24:48 PM PST
The final two seasons did air in 16:9, but they were matted letterbox (ie the top and bottom was cut-off to give the illusion of widescreen for the HD feeds) - so in fact the HD feeds were missing stuff, not the 1.33:1.

Warner Brothers has done this several times including the first 9 season of "ER" - all of which were filmed in full-frame, but matted for DVDs and high-def syndication.

Posted on Nov 14, 2007 10:04:15 PM PST
I.G. says:
Great review and great show! Does anyone know what exactly the extras are? Are they the same ones as on the individual ones or new ones? Thanks in advance :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2007 10:40:37 PM PST
Yes... the DVDs are exactly the same as the ones from the previous season releases, only with different art on the label.

But with the box set comes a "complete gilmorism" booklet, and a very nice booklet on the episodes in the show and some information about the series as a whole.

Posted on Nov 15, 2007 1:47:12 PM PST
L. Naharro says:
NICE POINT OF VIEW, Just a question. I have the first season but in argentina the rest of the seasons were not released and apparently they won't, but does this one have Subtitles in Spanish?

Posted on Nov 25, 2007 10:10:42 AM PST
J. Hewitt says:
As with all of you, I love to show and have been following religiously for years, and I have all the seasons (except 7th) on DVD; and now that they have come out with the complete series collection I wanted to know does the complete series boxed set have special features that the individual seasons don't? I would hate to think that being such a big fan penalized me in excluding extra bonus features I can only get with the complete series purchase. Please let me know if you know the answer, I would hate to do it but if i have to buy the complete to get special features I would have to consider it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2007 6:12:55 PM PST
Their are no extra DVDs as well as their are no additional special features. The ONLY thing this set includes that the original sets do not is that the Gilmorism booklet is for ALL 7 seasons (whereas seasons 1, 5 & 6 on the individual releases do not include such a booklet).
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (436 customer reviews)

$258.82 $116.09