Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Beach House Storm Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services Home Theater Setup Plumbing Services Assembly Services Shop all tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage The Walking Dead\ Big Savings in the Amazon Fall Sportsman Event Deal of the Day

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, but please see update, November 16, 2005
This review is from: Polder Original Cooking All-In-One Timer/Thermometer (Kitchen)
I've had the Polder 362-90 for about 5 years. I purchased it after seeing Alton Brown using one on the Food Channel show "Good Eats". Now, I'd be lost without it. It takes all the guesswork out of roasting chicken or turkey or a roast beef or whatever else you care to cook in your oven.

You insert the metal probe into whatever you're cooking, set the target temperature and start roasting. When your roast reaches the desired temperature, the Polder will beep to let you know. Perfectly cooked. No wiggling Mrs. Chicken's legs, no pressing on the roast, no "Gee, is it done? I'm not sure." It couldn't be easier.

It has a countdown timer (but not a clock) as well. The back of the main unit has 2 strong magnets which allow it to be attached to any metallic surface, vertical or horizontal. The LCD pivots, so no matter where you put the unit, you can tilt the LCD to make it easy to read. A slide switch on the back allows you to change between Farenheit and Centigrade.

When you wash the probe, you *must* be careful. The probe is a metal tube that contains a temperature sensor. At the point where the cable from the main unit enters this tube, it is sealed merely by crimping the tube. It isn't waterproof. So during washing, if you allow water around this area, it will find its way into the tube and kill the sensor. This is the basis, I believe, for many of the complaints regarding the probe's fragility.

I wrap my hand tightly around the top of the probe when I wash it to prevent this from happening, and I'm still using the original. I use it at least twice a month, so that means it has been used at least 100 times and washed 100 times and it works fine. As far as complaints that the sensor is inaccurate, I've got 100+ perfectly cooked chickens, turkeys and roast beefs that contradict that assertion.

If I have a complaint its that the thing has no on/off switch! Its always running and, therefore, draining the AAA battery. This is not a big deal. The first battery lasted about 3 years and the one in it now has about 2 years of use and is still going strong. When the temperature reads "LO", that is the indicator that the battery needs replacement.

The Polder 362-90 allows you to know when your roast is done instead of guessing at it. I find it essential and I recommend it. Just be careful when you wash it.

***UPDATE 6/2010: After 10+ years of faithful service, my Polder finally quit working. I immediately ordered another. The new one worked accurately twice and then began to underreport temperature by about 30 to 40 degrees F. I tried a backup probe and a new battery with the same result so it would appear to be a problem with the main unit and not the probe. I see that many of the most recent reviews for this product complain of a similar issue. I think Polder may have a manufacturing problem. I would defer purchasing this product until the reviews turn positive again.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 15, 2006 7:17:44 AM PST
microwiz says:
"When the temperature reads "LO", that is the indicator that the battery needs replacement."

That one line saved me buying a whole new thermometer! Great review!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2006 4:51:37 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2006 4:53:48 PM PST
philo_vance says:
HaHa. Glad it helped microwiz. Actually, when it happened to me, I assumed that the probe had died and bought a replacement! When the new probe did the same thing, the light bulb turned on over my head and I realized it was the battery. That was about 3 years ago. The original probe is *still* in use as is the 2nd battery. Glad you liked the review.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 9, 2007 12:41:10 PM PDT
Kyle says:
Great review.

Helped me decide on this one!

Posted on Aug 19, 2007 9:43:40 PM PDT
TF says:
Very good review. You covered all of the bases that needed to be, and I hope everyone reads, and trusts, this review. I've owned the product for four years and could not agree with the review more.

This is a great product, and from another long timer user of said product, this person speaks the truth.

Posted on Nov 30, 2007 9:44:08 AM PST
Russ Palmeri says:
Wow, what a great review! This should be used as a model by Amazon.

Posted on Jan 24, 2010 6:25:40 AM PST
John 3:16 says:
I couldn't be without this thing now. In fact, I have two because I sometimes need to measure the temperature on more than one food at one time. Once the probe goes into meat, taking it out prematurely means loss of juices so I keep it in for at least 5 minutes after it comes out of the oven.
Fabulous review!

Posted on Sep 9, 2010 5:12:11 PM PDT
Does the electronics go in the oven or outside the oven?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2010 12:01:59 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 26, 2010 12:07:16 PM PDT
G. Harrell says:
Outside! Otherwise you will have a glob of melted plastic. Just insert the probe into the meat, place the unit outside the oven and close the door on the cable. It will give you real time temperature of the meat and also serve as a timer if you desire.

Posted on Nov 25, 2010 7:45:49 AM PST
H. Best says:
My Polder is still going strong now after 10 years as well! The LCD read out is starting to get a little wonky, but its still very usable. I'm gonna order another as a backup, but I plan on keeping the "old" boy going.

Posted on Dec 21, 2010 4:26:16 PM PST
J. Kaplan says:
Great review, and thanks SO much for the update.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›