5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely love my Trekdesk!, October 8, 2009
This review is from: TrekDesk Treadmill Desk (Sports)
I have been waiting for months for the Trekdesk to be released. I ordered mine minutes after receiving the email that it was available to order (I was on the waitlist). I had lofty expectations for this product. Now that I have been using it for a few days I can safely report that Trekdesk has met all my expecations. I am thrilled with my new office routine!

Let me start with the bad to get it out of the way. I am nit-picking here. These are fairly minor complaints.
THE BAD:

- Assembly instructions could be more helpful. It took me 45 minutes to assemble the desk, although I admitedly am not much of a handyman. Others could probably assemble it in half that time. The instructions were detailed, but do not have drawings/pictures which would have been very helful to me. The video helped some, but I wish it also was more detailed in showing assembly steps. I was surprised at the number of parts to assemble...and the number of screws. It would be helpful to have the different size screws in separate bags instead of all in one bag.

- Difficulty accessing the treadmill control panel under the Trekdesk. I believe Trekdesk recommends a treadmill with a side panel instead of the panel in front. However, my treadmill has the front panel, which sits under the Trekdesk. I can't see the treadmill display without performing gymnastic contortions. Also, must reach under the Trekdesk to press the start/stop buttons on the treadmill. However, after a few hours I was used to the routine. I haven't changed the speed or incline on the treadmill since the first day anyway, so no need to have easy access to the control panel.

- cord control. They should add features for tying down cords somewhere. Between the computer, monitor, phone, printer, etc....lots of cords running from the desk.

- Not a full-time desk. I found that I like to alternate between a chair and the treadmill during the day. I work/walk for a couple hours and then spend a half hour sitting at the desk. However, I have only been using the treadmill for 2 days and noticed that today I spent a lot more time on the treadmill than I did the first day. Ok, you have probably guessed I am not the picture of fitness (yet).

Now for all the good stuff...
THE GOOD:
- solid construction. When I ordered I was a little worried this would be a cheap product because the price was a fraction of other treadmill workstations. However, I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the desk when unpacking the box.

- packaging. Speaking of unpacking..no way this desk will be damaged during shipping. All parts are fit into layers of custom-molded styrofoam.

- video tutorial for assembling.

- adjustable height. I am 6' 3, and the Trekdesk fits me perfectly when I am on the treadmill. I could still raise it a couple more inches if I wanted to.

- customer service. I emailed customer service with a question and received a response and helpful instructions within an hour.

- large desk. Plenty or room for a work area, even with a laptop docked and a monitor/keyboard/mouse.

- the best news of all is that it works! I feel great during and after work. I have been working from home for quite some time now, and have been feeling more and more lethargic sitting in my chair all day long. What a difference the Trekdesk makes! I had more energy today at work than I have had in a long time. It only took minutes to get used to walking while typing away at the keyboard or using the mouse. The setup feels quite natural now. I use all the accessories that came with the desk, especially the cup holders. Those are a nice touch. Overall, I have no reservations about recommending the Trekdesk. It has been well worth the purchase price to me.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 9 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 30, 2009 5:05:50 PM PST
C. Fallon says:
Very interesting review...I just don't see it as being practical...typing while walking...hmmm....Please let us know in a few months if you still use this, as I would find it a bit too difficult to get work done while walking that requires a lot of deep thought....

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2009 12:35:42 PM PST
bookaddict says:
"I would find it a bit too difficult to get work done while walking that requires a lot of deep thought"... whereas when needing to think deeply, many people go for a long walk... The idea of walking IN MY OFFICE and thinking, instead of sitting here thinking about how my hip joints ache from sitting too long, sounds very alluring. And productive.

Posted on Jan 30, 2011 5:43:22 AM PST
So, J. Rogers, I would like to know if you still like your desk. Are you healthier for it? Is it still holding up? Good review, now give us the followup. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2011 7:54:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Dec 30, 2012 1:42:27 PM PST
Typing while walking is no problem (at least for me) due to natural ability to keep part of your body stable while the rest moves, especially when you touch a fixed point like hands on keyboard or finger on desk. I've gone over 1200 miles in a couple years and am able to do all types of work at 2.5-3.5 mph on even 6% incline if talking is not continuous. I do 100 minutes per session usually, occasionally twice that. Sometimes I like to sit down (breaks are fine) as a stretch and to really focus on something deep and different, but not usually an issue to think and walk. I can also run at 5mph and read even fine print. I use a ground strap when the air is dry to avoid static sparking btw. Try it - easy, low-discipline way to keep fit! (ps I use my own homemade desk, a bunch of old wooden shelf boards resting on the solid arms of a NordicTrack, but I like the Trek Desk concept).

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 11:22:17 AM PST
citygal says:
I made my own tread-desk and have been using it for two years. I have always been a super fast walker anyway, so I do all my typing while walking 3.0 with a 4.0 elevation (I started out at 2.5 mph and after a year increased it). Once I get into the groove of my work (which is almost immediate at this point), I don't even notice I'm walking. I'm logging in 3-6 miles a day on this thing. My tread-desk has made the single biggest difference in my fitness level. I am a multi-tasker and have always hated "wasting" time exercising at the gym when I knew I had more important things to do. Now, I can get lots of work done & still get some exercise. I LOVE IT!

Posted on Jan 6, 2012 6:53:36 AM PST
Carol says:
Perfect! I am a 6 foot 2 inches female who writes 5-10 hours a day on my computer and wondered if it would go high enough for me. Any suggestions for a good treadmill to go with it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2012 7:34:44 AM PST
J. Rogers says:
Since you likely won't be going over 3 MPH on the treadmill, any entry level treadmill will do. For me the 2 main considerations before purchasing were the noise level and the height of the main console. Since you are tall, like me, the TrekDesk will be ratcheted up high and will likely sit OVER the console for most treadmills. You may want to buy and assemble the TrekDesk first, and then find a treadmill once you are comfortable with teh measurements.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2012 7:34:16 AM PST
Betty Brown says:
Are you still loving the TrekDesk?

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 4:08:47 PM PST
Robert says:
Please give us an update. How are you liking the TrekDesk and how much have you been using it? Secondly, your thoughts on the stability as reported by the video "Why I returned my TrekDesk. Thank you for your additional feedback in advance.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2012 5:07:16 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 30, 2012 5:10:01 AM PST]
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (261 customer reviews)

$589.00 $499.00