1.0 out of 5 stars Not compatible with Windows XP - Amazon fixing website, November 20, 2012
This review is from: Assassins Creed III: Deluxe Edition [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
Intended to install this game on WinXP computer that runs Skyrim and other games fine. Amazon site for AC3 says there is an XP version available for download. AC3 download is delivered via Steam client. My steam account running on my XP computer let me download and install the game just fine and said it was ready to play. However, every time I tried to run, an install screen would appear briefly saying "installing ACredist package 1 of 1" and then nothing else would happen. Tried manually installing ACredist and DirectX and some of the other supporting elements in the install package as per some online troubleshooting information, but of course this didn't work. Amazon should require you to specify the OS version for download to prevent incompatible purchases. Steam should prevent incompatible games from being downloaded as well, which apparently it does not. Hope this review saves others with XP the 34GB and 5 hours of download (2 attempts x 17BG@) and two wasted days of troubleshooting. VALVe never replied to my support request within Steam. Steam never hinted that the game was incompatible, so these folks at VALVe are obviously in over their heads and raking in the money without writing decent code up to their role as game cloud and DRM manager for millions. If the install process is fatally flawed, one can only wonder about security holes as well. Am thankful to Amazon reviewer C. Pipkins for helping me figure out the problem. Have no comment on the game itself since I was never able to play it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 21, 2012 12:47:45 AM PST
I suggest you look for some further trouble shooting steps because I downloaded this today as well and it worked like a charm. Only issue I've had is that using the highest setting of anti AA caused it to have weird artifacts in the engine fixed by going from ultra to high. I'm sure a patch will resolve that. First off open steam and do a verify files. This is under the options tab if I'm not mistaken. If that doesn't work then of course make sure you have the latest drivers (Video, sound, motherboard bios etc.). Plus if your playing on a laptop UBI soft has stated that Mobile gpus are not fully supported. I think if you dig a little deeper you can resolve this.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 1:10:16 AM PST
FlyTigr says:
My version of steam does not have an "options" tab nor can I find a "verify files" menu item anywhere. I appreciate your attempt to help and will try any steps you suggest that are reasonable.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 8:10:11 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 21, 2012 8:12:35 AM PST
I apologize FlyTIgr. I made a generalization and doing that when giving advice is stupid. The actual step to verify file cache is under the properties of the game. Right click on AC3 in your library and choose properties.Then choose the local files tab. THe bottom option should be verify game cache. This will search through your files to make sure everyone is up to date and current for the game. If it's a driver issue then I need to know what type of computer you are attempting to run this on. Is it a desktop or laptop? Depending on that give me some info on your video card, cpu, memory count and motherboard type. Feel free to add me on steam for a chat session maybe we can resolve it easier over there? My tag is Mr402.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 3:50:12 PM PST
FlyTigr says:
I did find the menus this time and did the verify cache. It found and error and said it would correct it. I looked to see if AC3 had every made an install directory with the user name, but it had never gotten that far so there were no old game files to purge. Reattempted to run and still getting the same sequence of trying to install ACredir and then disappears. Opened up steam on a completely different computer and spent another 2.5 hours downloading. Went through same install sequence with same failure. First computer is high-end laptop with windows XP and runs Skyrim fine. Second computer is higher-performance desktop windows XP. I am at a loss.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2012 12:09:38 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 22, 2012 12:17:58 AM PST
I'm sorry to tell you friend but Assassins Creed 3 will not run on Windows XP. You will need to run it on Windows Vista, 7 or higher. That is more then likely the issue. Googled xp compatibility and numerous articles about Ubi soft dropping Windows XP support. This is just another way Microsoft is forcing people to upgrade to Windows 7 or 8. Even though AC3 uses DX9c more then likely microsoft paid Ubisoft to write something in the code which won't allow it to install when it detects a XP OS. Sorry to say it but XP was made in 2001 and you might as well bite the bullet and upgrade one of those units to Windows 7 for 99 bucks to avoid this in the future.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2012 5:05:32 AM PST
FlyTigr says:
Thanks, C. Pipkin. You have the answer. If you look at the download options section of the Amazon.com website for AC3, you will see it shows XP. However, further down in the table below it does not. I have contacted Amazon and they quickly refunded my money and are looking to correct the website. I appreciate your help. BTW, I keep XP for compatibility with some older programs, including games. I have W7 on some non-gaming computers. See no need for W8 for non-touchscreen computers. Have found that buying an SSD improves my user experience far more than an OS upgrade. Thanks again for taking the time to help. Happy Thanksgiving.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2012 3:21:40 PM PST
To you as well. Windows 7 has a pretty nice feature called XP compatibility mode. You should see if that will work for you for some of your legacy games and program.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›