Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera but not for everyone., May 16, 2011
This review is from: Fujifilm X100 12.3 MP APS-C CMOS EXR Digital Camera with 23mm Fujinon Lens and 2.8-Inch LCD (Camera)
My name is Alan, I orderes this camera under my wife's account.

Before this camera was announced I had looked at the Sigma DP2 camera. The Sigma took great pictures but was slow and could not handle candids. I was tempted but not enough. When the X100 was announced it looked like it solved the problems that the Sigma has. I wanted this camera.

This camera is not for everyone. Fuji says this camera is for pros and serious amatures. This is true. In designing the camera to appear like an old rangefinder they incorporated program mode, aperature priority, shutter priority and manual mode exactly as they worked in the old cameras. This left out the "safe mode" that existes in other cameras that limits what you can do in the menus to things that will really screw up your shooting. In safe mode typically you can't enter a white balance any you can't set the ISO to 12,800. If you don;t know what you are doing with the camera you can mess up all your shots. The manual leaves out some details. The camera has seperate ISOs for program, apertature priority, shutter priority, manual and panorama. Until you realize that changing mode also changes ISO you can loose some pictures. You have to put some effort into learning this camera.

The handling is certainly adaquate, but it takes some getting used to. When using the optical viewfinder at close range the focus box in the viewfinder will not correspond to what you are aiming. at. Don't use the optical viewfinder at close range. Problem solved. When you press the shutter button half way down the electric viewfinder freezes until focus is attained. Not a real problem but for a $1200 camera they should have done better. When changing to and from macro the display does not update fast enought. Another thing to get used to.

So why did I rate this camera at 5 stars?

Low light pictures are fantistic. The combination of a state of the art APS-C sensor and a f2 lens lets me take great picures under very low light. Any camera can take good pictures in bright light.

I like the manual focusing. I know some people think it is useless. Not true. This is not a rangefinder with a quick turn of the focus ring going from minimum focus to infinity. It takes a lot of turns to do that. I like that. I use manual focus when auto focus will not work. I went out seveal nights ago and shot a few test shots at ISO 12,800. The camera wouyld not auto focus in that light but using the distance scale in the viewfinder I was able to take acceptable shots. This manual focus is great for macro shots where you are not sure where the auto focuse is focusing.

I like haveing a viewfinder. When using cameras having only screens on the back of the camera I can not see what I am shootine if there is sunlight on the screen. I think I will eventually fully appreciate the hybrid viewfinder, but for now I am glad to have either.

I shoot in RAW. THe large sensor gives me more to play with.

I like the lack of shutter noise.

Having a fixed focal length does not bother me. I think it is actually helping my photograph by making me get closer to my subjects. The pictures are more personnel. (I tried shooting several sessions with my Lumix G1 using only the 29mm lens so I knew this was true before ordering the camers.

I like this camera a lot. I was aware that there would be some shortcoming like a lack of zoom but they were acceptable. They will not be acceptable to everyone. If they are acceptable to you this may be the camera for you.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]