5.0 out of 5 stars Not much to complain about, November 18, 2011
This review is from: Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 7" Zip Sleeve, Graphite (fits the Kindle Fire HD and HDX 7") (Accessory)
I got mine 2 days after my Kindle, and it's made a nice resting place for my Kindle when not in use.

Quality:
I certainly don't see any creases or obvious defects in workmanship like some other reviewers have claimed. The leathery handle material tends to pick up some finger grease occasionally, but that comes off easily with a cloth. While I can't say it's made of the most amazing material or quality, it's certainly comparable to many other sleeves. It beats the $5 - 10 eBay sleeves I've gotten for other devices, by far. I can't understand why people are leaving such negative reviews, that $30 is too much for something like this, especially when they clearly could see what it looked like in the product images (did you forget to zoom?) before purchasing. What I got was exactly as pictured and described, and I have very little room for complaints about the quality.

Smell:
I don't know what everyone else is smelling, but we're either all old here, have stuffy noses from seasonal allergies, or I just got a different batch than everyone else. I can smell the new plastic scent when I hold the sleeve directly in my face, but it's not overpowering at all. It's certainly magnitudes less of a scent than a new car, a new printer, etc. I didn't even notice it until I read the reviews. Your mileage may vary, depending on just how sensitive your nose is. Just know that if you get one from the same batch as mine, it's on par (or less) as most other electronics out there.

Product:
I'm a bit concerned about the relatively small margin between the device and the zipper. I'm afraid I'm going to not put the Kindle in far enough, and have the zipper scratching up the sides. Smaller margin means less wiggle-room for the Kindle while in transit, as well as smaller size for easier handling and fit, so I suppose it's a fair trade-off -- as long as I can remember to consistently push it in all the way before zipping. Inconvenient? Sure enough. But since a 7" tablet is all about size, I can certainly deal with it.

Other reviewers have complained about lack of protection. Exactly what are you expecting? If you're wanting ruggedization, you should consider getting a full case or bag instead. This is a lightweight *sleeve*, meant for portability -- to protect the Kindle from light shocks and other objects while in an outer bag or pocket. That said, this sleeve has quite a bit of protection compared to most other sleeves I've had. I feel absolutely confident it provides enough protection for what I'll be carrying the sleeve in (my MacBook Air bag, or my coat's inner pocket).

As long as you are confident that a compact sleeve is all you're looking for, I believe this will do the job just fine for you too.

Update (May 4, 2012):
Roughly half a year since I started using the case, and it's doing great. It goes with me whenever I go out, in my car door's pocket. Restaurants, beaches, doctor offices, and stores -- it's seen them all, and no wear or stains to speak of yet. It's protected my Kindle well, and its portability is indeed excellent.

Despite my initial concern for the zipper scratching my Kindle because of its tight fit, I'm happy to report that such an incident has yet to occur, and my Kindle still looks brand new thanks to it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 29, 2011 3:12:54 PM PST
this person sounds like they know what they are talking about which is helpful. Since I carry the charger with me I am waiting for something to come out that holds the kindle and/or the charger/s. I looked at a bag in Staples but even though they said it was for Fire it looked like an iPad bag so I did not buy it. Right now I am keeping it in a bubble mailer envelope which fits it perfectly until some new sleeves or carriers come out.

Posted on Jul 18, 2014 1:16:57 PM PDT
Thanks so much for your review of this item. It helped me tremendously in my decision whether or not to purchase it. You have lived with it for a good while and I believe I can trust your opinion. Thanks again!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›