5.0 out of 5 stars Decent upgrade to the older "Dropcam HD", October 10, 2013
This review is from: Dropcam Pro Wi-Fi Wireless Video Monitoring Security Camera (Camera)
This is my fifth DropCam, so obviously I love them. SUPER easy to setup (less than a minute) and you have a live webcam.

This new one ("DropCam Pro") seems to have slightly better video quality than the previous ones. When compared side by side green looks a little "greener" and the picture is a bit sharper.

It also increased the field of view, which can be good or bad depending on your particular use.

WARNING: they are *ONLY* for "indoor use", but I make my own enclosures for outside in an ocean environment (looking at surfers and waves) and it holds up pretty well. I plan to seal up this with Silicone Sealant ($5 at any hardware store, Amazon sells it also) and try it outside. I'll update this review as I get some experience (like if it dies quickly).

If you Google search for "Weatherproof Dropcam" and look for a link on "ski-epic" that shows the DIY (Do it Yourself) totally for free way to waterproof your Dropcam. NOTE: I'm not selling anything!! I'm just documenting how I did this.

EDIT (two days later): I setup the new "Pro" side by side with an old "HD" and here are my observations. The two URLs to view the side by side are:

New Dropcam "Pro" -> https: -SLASH- -SLASH- www -DOT- dropcam -DOT- com -SLASH- demo -SLASH- 703f9eb6507048d9966f460c6153b697

Old Dropcam "HD" -> https: -SLASH- -SLASH- www -DOT- dropcam -DOT- com -SLASH- demo -SLASH- 58024311db644950842dc85f337aa8de

1) The colors are much more saturated (vibrant) on the new one, so different color correction? It's an improvement.

2) They choose to display the new "Pro" in a larger size, maybe just a visual trick?
New -> 951 wide, 537 tall
Old -> 769 wide, 435 tall

3) The new one is DEFINITELY wider angle (as advertised)

4) In "low light" (at night looking at the ocean) the new one is 50 times better, the old one you couldn't see anything, the new one can watch the waves in the moonlight, it's a wonderful improvement.

EDIT 12/1/2013 - The Dropcam Pro mentioned above died! More accurately I killed it. :-) It is always outside (this is against the dropcam company's recommendation), and in a big rainstorm a few days ago it got soaked and stopped working. No light, doesn't power up, doesn't appear as a disk when you attach it via USB to a laptop. The older one survived (side by side, same rainstorm). I'm FedEx'ing a new one from Amazon to replace the older one, should be up and running in a couple days.

EDIT 12/5/2013 - Ok, new Dropcam Pro is up, I updated this review to point at the new one's serial number which is 703f9eb6507048d9966f460c6153b697

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 12 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 39 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 10, 2013 3:22:40 PM PDT
Superman says:
Hi, I have the old DropCam And was thinking of getting the PRO, Does the PRO use the same exact software as the regular DropCam or is there features that only the PRO has? Also do you know of a ANY way to record the video it sees onto a local Hard Drive or maybe a Network Hard drive so that I can record everything it sees on like a terabyte Hard Drive. that would be awesome. Is it worth switching over to the PRO - I still have time to return my old one under the Amazon Return Policy.
Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2013 3:39:52 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 10, 2013 3:40:31 PM PDT
Mr. Luigi says:
Superman,

This review may help you.

Mr.Luigi

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2013 3:47:38 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 13, 2013 11:22:43 AM PDT
Brian Wilson says:
The "Pro" just appears in your exact same online (web) account side by side with all the "HD" ones you owned before. I just looked at the settings side by side, and the new "Pro" is identical in every way on every screen.

Just like the ones before, you plug the USB power cable into your laptop, then run the installer that is ON the DropCam (plugging it into your laptop mounts the DropCam as a drive temporarily just for this purpose). No local software ends up on your laptop when it's all done, it's just a way for it to "bind" that particular camera into your web account.

So the software appears identical. They CLAIM there is a new "zoom" feature, but for the life of me I cannot find it. :-) They also the new camera has claim "Bluetooth" but again, for the life of me I can't find it and I don't know what it could possibly use Bluetooth for?? It's a webcam, the whole point is to view it remotely using a web browser?

EDIT (same day): I found the zoom control!! It's only if you are logged in looking at your own videos. The zoom has appeared for all older DropCam HD also!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2013 6:47:04 PM PDT
Mr. Luigi says:
Hi Brian,

I got the idea that using the new bluetooth functionality you could avoid having to connect via USB. True?

Mr. Luigi

Posted on Oct 10, 2013 8:34:32 PM PDT
Great review. Thanks! Ordered our new/first DropCam just now.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2013 10:47:00 AM PDT
THIS IS FROM DROPCAM " As soon as we plugged the Pro into a power outlet, its LED started flashing, indicating that it was in pairing mode. We paired it with our iPad, launched the Dropcam app and was able to set up the camera with the proper WiFi credentials then and there. As a result, the Dropcam Pro was up and running literally within minutes of plugging it in." For now it is another way to set it up for the network. They also stated that they have future plans to have the bluetooth interact with other devices like a door opening or a dog collar

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2013 11:50:08 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 11, 2013 11:50:21 AM PDT
Brian Wilson says:
See Terry R. Williams reply above. I guess if you don't own a laptop the bluetooth would be helpful for setup. But if you have a laptop, it's probably easier to just plug the Dropcam into the laptop USB for 20 seconds during setup. Bluetooth can be finicky.

It's a bit strange to use an iPad or iPhone to setup Dropcam because Dropcam insists on using Flash for their "embed this video on a separate webpage". Flash doesn't run on iPads and iPhones. So you can setup the Dropcam, but you couldn't view the video that is embedded on another webpage. :-)

Posted on Oct 14, 2013 5:54:55 AM PDT
Thanks for the review, and most importantly thanks for the side-by-side. I have two Dropcam HDs and recommend them unendingly, to the annoyance of all I know. The difference between the HD and the Pro seems really substantial, not only is the nighttime much better, but the day time is much cleaner as well. Really tempted to sell one of my HDs and buy a Pro now.

Posted on Oct 14, 2013 3:56:52 PM PDT
Xu Ruian says:
Hi,

I noticed the Pro one video is running later in time compared with the old one.
Are they connected to the same wifi access point?

Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2013 6:41:12 PM PDT
Yes, same WiFi.

How much are they apart? I usually only see about a 5 - 10 second "delay" from real-time. I position the camera by having a laptop open right beside it viewing the Dropcam website. When I rotate the camera to a better angle, I calmly walk over to the laptop and 5 - 10 seconds later I watch the view update to the new angle. Then I go back and adjust it again (if it wasn't perfect the first time).
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.0 out of 5 stars (1,826 customer reviews)
 (1,025)