Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

3.0 out of 5 stars Additional Info would be Helpful, March 17, 2012
This review is from: Choose to Lose: The 7-Day Carb Cycle Solution (Hardcover)
I purchased this book last weekend and started the diet on 3/12/12. Today is 3/17/12 and I lost 5 lbs. this week. My husband lost 8.5 lbs. I weigh 160 lbs. and he weighs 219 lbs. today. This is the only diet I have ever stuck to for more than three days and the only one I have been successful on EVER! I'm thrilled so far, and I'm not hungry at all. My husband has been hungry, so I a bumping up his portions a bit. There are a few reasons that I didn't rate this book with 5 stars. First, it was a little difficult to follow at first and it jumped aroung a lot. I agree with the other reviews regarding the lack of chapter numbers and an index. Second, I wish Mr. Powell would tell us how many carbs we can have on low carb days and how many carbs on high carb days. I've reviewed other carb cycling diets and they give you specific info for carbs, fats, and protein. That would help so much! Third, the recipes that Mr. Powell offers are bland, and don't offer a nutritional breakdown. I also think his list of approved foods is a bit lacking. For example,why isn't Kale on it, or Coconut Oil? Lastly, I was hoping the website would provide this missing information as well as a forum for us dieters to support one another, ask questions, and offer ideas that have worked. Ultimately, I would recommend the book, but supplement the information with further research for best results.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 22, 2012 8:00:56 AM PDT
Megan, thank you for your review! Do you still continue the diet?

Posted on Jul 30, 2012 9:06:52 AM PDT
christy says:
I recall that the interview w/Chris Powell on the Dr. Oz show had mentioned LOW carb days were approx. 50-60 carbs...if this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2012 10:43:26 AM PDT
Megan says:
Thank you Christy, I saw that show as well after my post. I also researched other low carb/high carb diets to figure out a balance. I have fallen off the diet this summer, but I intend to start up again when the kids go back to school. I liked eating small meals every few hours, I was never hungry on the diet. Best of luck to you!

Posted on Oct 12, 2012 11:27:00 AM PDT
C Smitty says:
Thanks for your comment. I have so many health & fitness books, so this review was helpful. I would have a problem with a book not giving the readers at least a RANGE of high carbs, low carbs. I recently decided to google carb cycling. Although many of the sites were general, there are a couple of good ones that are specific (and I didn't have to pay one cents). I also did a search on youtube and bookmarked a couple of good videos where ppl took the time to explain it.

Also since you said the recipes are bland, that would be a problem for me as there are so many delicous, healthy recipes out there--even with carb cycling.

Lastly (and this is a question/comment) since I haven't read the book, hopefully Chris P informs his readers that carb cycling IS NOT to be done for long periods of time. Does he mention this anywhere in the book?

The purpose of this process is to trick the body so that the metabolism can change quickly to promote fat loss. Carb cycling has been around for several decades and many pro athletes use the system.

BTW: Mentioning the carb breakdown on "Dr. Oz" is unacceptable for the hundreds possibly thousands of people that purchased this book AND may be still on the job when Dr Oz comes on (and you can't get him "On Demand")

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 11:00:17 AM PST
You can get the Dr. OZ segment on Chris Powell on his website - you don't need to view it on TV.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 7:45:32 AM PST
sunzzfan says:
I think the reason for not giving specifics is because he is trying to train you to eat healthy without always "counting". Also,there is a blog on Dr. Oz's website that all the people on this plan are talking about. Any question you have can be answered there.

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 9:45:04 AM PST
jodeha says:
I believe on high carb days you have a portion of protein and a portion of carbs-which he gives you a guide to what a serving size is in his book...plus you can eat the veggies at every meal as well. The veggies must be low glycemic though...i.e. no potatoes on low carb days only veggies like kale, (as you mentioned) cabbage etc. on high carbs days you can eat a serving size of potatoes if you so choose. BEST OF LUCK!!!! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2014 5:55:37 PM PDT
Fabio Okubo says:
Hi Megan, I saw your comment which is about a little more than 1 year old. Did you meet your goals with the Chris Powell diet?

Posted on Dec 11, 2015 8:52:16 AM PST
Can you recommend a book to 'supplement' this with..? Thanks!!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›