1.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous Nonsense, October 31, 2010
This review is from: EMOTIONS: Freedom from Anger, Jealousy & Fear (Kindle Edition)
I downloaded this book with only a passing knowledge of Osho: some revere him as a great guru, others revile him as a dangerous cult leader. Knowing full well that great thinkers often get bad press, I approached this book with an open mind. It is now closed.

I found this book offensive, hollow New Age drivel riddled with subtle brainwashing. I strongly discourage reading it, especially if you are emotionally unstable... which, let's be frank, is not an unreasonable assumption if you are attracted to a book promising "freedom from anger, jealousy, and fear".

Much of the book looks innocent enough, from vain platitudes on love to profound(?) insights like "live each emotion that you feel". Knowing the type of book I was reading, I found it easy to look past the pseudoscience ("the unconscious is nine times bigger than the conscious") and to make apologies for its sexism ("a woman knows that if she cries, she is the winner"). After defending the guru from the ignorant critic - myself - for page after page, it was then that I had my moment of enlightenment: this is dangerous nonsense!

Imagine if you will a young woman in distress looking for answers, looking for meaning. How will she respond when reading "if your husband never becomes angry, report him to the police... a husband who never becomes angry will one day suddenly jump and suffocate you"? Is it unrealistic to think she might believe this? Do you think that following this advice will improve her life?

I could go on for paragraphs about how seemingly benign injunctions against jealousy could be twisted into justifications for free love and communal marriage by a manipulative cult leader but I think I've already made my point. To the blind zealots sure to vote me down, may I offer these words of Osho as a parting message: "there is nothing spiritual in it. But people go on mistaking things".

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 23, 2010 8:13:10 AM PST
J.L. Dragoo says:
To embrace life fully - one should always be open to other perspectives. You can not expect to achieve growth of the mind or spirit with an attitude such as yours. Stable minded individuals will chose what is useful to them and for them and leave the rest. Quite frankly it is YOUR review that frightens me - it is close minded and shallow but mostly it is disturbingly paranoid.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2010 9:11:01 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 23, 2010 9:11:28 AM PST
Stable minded individuals most certainly will... my review is not for them. Just as I would not remove a blade from the hands of a master crafstman, so do I not consider it "disturbingly paranoid" to keep toddlers away from the cutlery drawer. Let us punch our pillows.

Posted on Dec 11, 2010 10:02:45 AM PST
Thank you for your review. I would describe myself as an unstable woman and based on your review, I'm running for my life! I'm offended and I didn't even read the book. Thank you for adding direct quotes.

Posted on Jan 8, 2011 10:41:49 AM PST
Dave says:
In your review you quote:

> "if your husband never becomes angry, report him to the police... a husband who never becomes angry will one day suddenly jump and suffocate you"?"

------------

Osho has a subtle sense of humor and sarcasm. I don't think he really means to suggest calling the police, what he appears to be saying is that there isn't a husband (or wife for that matter) in the world who will never get angry. It's normal. So in other words, there will never be a need to call the police, because anyone will get angry from time to time.

I'm not an Osho fanatic, but I find him and his ideas, interesting. They obviously go against the status quo, so they can be difficult for some to accept. So don't accept what you feel is too far out there. But on the other hand, he has a good number of things to say that are worth reading. The Dalai Lama humbly says just as much at the end of his books. Paraphrasing, "Take what you feel can work for you, and ignore the rest." This is true for any philosophy or religious teachings. To follow any dogma blindly, without doubt or thought, is unwise. One should always have questions or reserve the right to disagree. It doesn't make what you're reading any less valuable, for gaining a different viewpoint on a subject, even if one disagrees, is always good.

Posted on Apr 8, 2011 5:26:41 PM PDT
RB says:
You have misunderstood him.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 9, 2011 6:29:14 AM PDT
Perhaps. Perhaps not.

Posted on Aug 18, 2011 11:36:38 PM PDT
Timothy do you really believe that all the people who are stable never get angry, jealous or fearful anytime of their lives? And those who choose to find out more on these emotions are emotionally unstable people ? Did it cross your mind that what you term as pseudoscience could be metaphysics and what you term as sexism could be humour? I think you missed the point so very completely because you were looking for a clinical kind of prescription for banishing these emotions.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2011 10:47:42 AM PDT
Sudhir, did it cross your mind that what you term as metaphysics could be pseudoscience and what you term as humour could be sexism? More critically, do you really believe either of us will convince the other of anything with this sort of argument?

Some people (regardless of mental health) will read the Bible and find ideas that inspire them to be better people. Others will use Scripture to justify bad behavior. A rare few nutcases will take Leviticus literally and go on a killing spree. Think what you will of me, but I am truly worried about this book in the hands of the third group... and I wish that those in the first and second groups would stop twisting my words to promote their agenda. Wishful thinking, I know.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2011 2:10:54 AM PDT
Timothy, in essence we get convinced by our own reasoning only. Others only speak of the way they see it.
Buddha once said 'I will always be misunderstood' and all mystics suffer the same in varying degrees. I don't think any of them had dangerous portents but undoubtedly some have been made to become more dangerous than others. All a matter of interpretation by those who succeed them. Just think was Christ a christian, Budhha a buddhist or Mohamed a mohammedan ? But came the later interpreters probably more wise than the prophets and now there is danger everywhere.
Albert Camus said it differently ' You can never judge a man by what he speaks, by what he writes and even by what he thinks'. But yet we go on to make judgements, pronouncements and explaining danger. Why only your words when no one's have been spared the twist Osho included.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2011 8:31:53 PM PDT
Yes, it is all a matter of interpretation, as you say. Therefore we have nothing to discuss.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (37 customer reviews)

$5.39