5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, glorious bundle, November 26, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: PS3 250 GB Black Friday 2012 Bundle (Console)
To start, I got my package only two days after ordering it with 5-8 day free shipping. It made my 6.5 year wait to get a PS3 so much easier on me, Amazon shipping is always really fast.

So my shipping experience was awesome, what about the item itself? Well after I freaked out with glee over finally getting my first HD console(more importantly, the best one on the market today) I spent around three hours sampling the two Uncharted games(very impressive, even in 480i because I forgot to get HDMI cords and the cords that come with the system are lame; I'm moving from 1080p 60 FPS PC gaming to this and Uncharted 2's still prettier than any PC game I've ever played) and I've spent roughly the past two hours playing the first inFamous title. Outside of the floaty movement and difficulty of the combat, it may end up one of my favorite games this generation. It's really great so far, I'm excited I got the sequel AND the spinoff PSN sequel inFamous: Festival of Blood. I'm undoubtedly going to play through each game on the good AND evil paths, maybe I'll even try out a mixed path later to see how complex the game can get.

Probably most surprising was the 30-day PS+ trial. Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition, Ratchet & Clank: A41, Quantum Conundrum, Dungeon Defenders? They really aren't holding out on us with their free PS+ games, it easily convinced me to try to get a year-long PS+ membership very soon. It looks like it's the best value in gaming so far, I'm just worried it's so great now to try to trap users into the service or to make it required or something. The reason I won't even consider getting a 360 is the monthly fee requirement to play your games online, if Sony pulled something like that I'm not sure what I'd do.
Still, I went from having five PS3 games to temporarily having over 12 PS3 titles PLUS some great Vita games(I finally get to play Gravity Rush, wootwoot). There's no way that's a bad deal at no cost to me.

The system looks sexy and sleek, but uneven due to the disc-slide-tray mechanism thing. Just isn't very smooth on the top. It also lets out more heat than I'd expected, but it's nowhere near as bad in terms of heat output as my gaming computer or my friend's 360. This won't heat up my room as bad as my computer sometimes does, but it just might raise the temperature in here a little. Eh, it's Winter, a little heat is better than none at all or too much. Funny, that ends up being a plus in the end... for now.

Last thing, I also got my second package from Amazon about half an hour ago(also with 5-8 day shipping, ordered only a day prior) with Arkham City: GOTY in it. This is shaping up to be my best Christmas ever by far, in terms of material gains. I haven't been this happy with my video games in a LONG time.

At the end of the day, this PS3 cost me $200 along with quite a few free games and a decent-sized hard drive. It's the newer, slimmer model so it'll be easier to take to friends' houses and it'll use up less electricity/produce less heat, AND IT ONLY COST $200. Easily the best PS3 deal I've seen to date, I'm so glad I was able to snag it. Next up I'm gonna focus on getting a nice Move controller setup and another DS3 or two for multiplayer and new ways to play games. I've always wanted to play lightgun games at home, Move looks like the best way to do it. SOOO excited.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 29, 2012 12:20:53 PM PST
awalt08 says:
"very impressive, even in 480i because I forgot to get HDMI cords and the cords that come with the system are lame; I'm moving from 1080p 60 FPS PC gaming to this and Uncharted 2's still prettier than any PC game I've ever played"

Either you didn't have much of a gaming PC or you haven't played the Crisis series. Not trying to knock playstation, just trying to manage expectations.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 1:33:25 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 24, 2012 1:38:16 PM PST
Facelord says:
I've played the heck out of the Crysis games and Uncharted 2 looks way, way prettier than either of the first two. The physics in Crysis are better and it's a more technically impressive game, but it's definitely not prettier than Uncharted. It can't match the wonderful animations or art direction of the Uncharted series.

I have a PC with an ATi Radeon HD 6850, a Phenom II 955 black edition processor, 8gb of DDR3 RAM; I build gaming PCs for money on the side, I'm actually thinking I might start up a small business doing just that considering how happy all my clients are with their builds. My PC is more than powerful enough to handle any game I throw at it on highest settings, 1080p, 60 FPS(except some of the more ridiculous Crysis 2 settings and without anti-aliasing in more advanced titles like Metro 2033). Sure, Uncharted is 720p and 30FPS but its art direction and animations are unmatched.

Oh, and by the way I play PS3 games on a 1080p display now. It's larger but it can't match the quality of my 23 inch IPS monitor, either way I'm enjoying PS3 games waaaay more than I enjoyed PC games for the past four years. I've definitely happily made the transition from PC gaming to console gaming, the only way I'd go back now is if console gaming suddenly became *terrible* or they started up DRM policies more strict than the ones in PC gaming. Unlikely, followed by more unlikely.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›