Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

1.0 out of 5 stars Great Expectations Up In Flames, November 7, 2013
This review is from: Linksys AC1900 Wi-Fi Wireless Dual-Band+ Router with Gigabit & USB 3.0 Ports, Smart Wi-Fi App Enabled to Control Your Network from Anywhere (EA6900) (Personal Computers)
I have used and installed home networks of various types and sizes, including those based on Linksys products. I was excited about the release of this EA 6900 router as it would combine several features I wanted... 2 bands, external antennas (which I planned to replace with more powerful ones), and off-site management. I ordered it pre-release directly from Linksys.

I could not be more disappointed. While the features all sound great on paper, they DO NOT work well in reality. I didn't experience trouble during start-up like many of the other reviewers. My troubles came shortly thereafter, and the unit eventually overheated.

The minor issues: the range is shorter than comparable routers. There was considerable speed loss (75% or so) even when in good range. There was about a 50% speed loss with items that were directly plugged in. For those of us who pay a lot extra to get higher speeds (100gig), this was a problem. Perhaps this won't effect those with slower connection speeds as much.

WORST issue: after a couple of weeks, speed was reduced dramatically. I investigated, and discovered a terrible burning smell. Like others, I experienced an over-heated unit. This should not have been caused either by our usage or item placement, and is due to a product not ready for prime-time.

APPLE AirPort: I returned this product and purchased an AirPort Extreme. I could not be happier. It has less features and customability, but simply works easily and well. The range is better, and speed much better (very little loss when connected via ethernet or wireless). I kicked myself for not having tried Apple networking products prior to now, and have already seamlessly added a couple of AirPort Expresses as Access Points to expand the network. It is Plug-and-Play, and also controllable via app (which I hope they add remote management to).

Like most personal networking equipment, this is a great product on paper/in theory, but terrible in application/real life. I'd suggest that potential buyers go elsewhere (Apple AirPort Extreme is my new favorite).

PS: I hope not to get comments from Linksys/Belkin tech support suggesting I try their call center for help. I did make sure it was plugged-in. I updated the firmware (which was easy). I've logged many, MANY hours talking with them (as well as Cisco techs); between myself and google, I covered all bases with this device (their canned suggestions would not have alleviated the problems experienced; it's just a faulty device).

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 7, 2013 2:41:42 PM PST
Linksys says:
(MANUFACTURER)
Hi David,

We appreciate your detailed review of the EA6900. Your comments are valuable to us and we'll make sure that these are seen by our engineers.

Thanks,
Linksys Support

Posted on Dec 1, 2013 5:34:19 AM PST
Monty says:
What I find weird about your review is that you are using this router with a 100GB WAN link???? Either that is a typo, you don't really know what you are talking about, or you don't really know what you are doing.

Sorry but that invalidates the entire review.

Posted on Dec 6, 2013 7:43:48 AM PST
D4money1 says:
Contact linksys customer support asap. Trust me they will take care of you. They actually upgraded my router for free when it stopped working and i sent it in for an RMA and now it works flawlessly.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2013 5:33:03 AM PST
Kenneth Bell says:
Monty, he probably means the amount of bandwidth he is paying for. I for example have a 50MB plan with Comcast and when tested through one of the 1GB ports it ranges from 48 to 52 most of the time. I assume this is what he is referring to as not getting full 100MB but I doubt his statements are accurate. If he was not getting the full 100 it sounds like the modem needs to be reset. If it is the router, it was just a lemon and should have been replaced as D4money1 states below. I just ordered my EA6900 to replace my E3200 so I cant review yet.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2013 7:04:22 PM PST
rhenie says:
When I run the speed test from the router it is telling my I have 15 MB connection. Which I do. But when I run a speed test from my laptop connected via Ethernet cable the most I get is 2 MB. I'm not impressed with this router. I have bought cheaper routers before and been disappointed with features but not the speed. So this time I decided I would go with the brand new expensive one and I am very disappointed in the speed.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2013 1:15:49 PM PST
David Lubin says:
As correctly mentioned by Kenneth Bell below, I was referring to the amount of bandwidth provided by the ISP, not "a 100GB WAN link." Speed tests when directly connected to the modem should be similar to those when connected to a router (either with ethernet or wireless; minus some small loss). All I was trying to say was that after several rounds of tests, this unit caused more loss than other routers.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2013 1:30:59 PM PST
David Lubin says:
Exactly, Kenneth, for pointing this out. I'm not sure why you say "I doubt his statements are accurate," as I can assure you that I tested it several times directly connected to the modem, then via the gigabit port, and then wirelessly (different distances) in order to examine speed loss. I compared this with other routers. Obviously the baseline would be speed if directly connected to modem.

I don't have an axe to grind with Linksys, I simply reported my experience with this product. I've used many Linksys, Cisco, Belkin, and now Apple router products (I've professionally installed networks).

Posted on Dec 12, 2013 1:36:53 PM PST
David Lubin says:
This product come with a 90-day customer satisfaction guarantee. I was obviously not satisfied, so I decided to return the product. It took a 27 minute call with customer service in order to submit a request for "Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA)." They asked me to speak to tech support to ensure there was a problem in order to get free return shipping (even though this would be tough as it over-heated). A supervisor waived this. I am told that the RMA will be approved within 2 business days. It strikes me as odd that a tech company takes 2 days to create an RMA and email a return shipping label, when other companies do this either automatically online or within minutes.

Either way, this is the last time I order from Linksys directly...

PS: I do hope they greatly improve this product as I think it has potential. I like the firmware auto-update, cloud interface, and external antennas. A more reliable version that's more sound would be great...

Posted on Feb 21, 2014 1:27:51 PM PST
Joseph Shaw says:
Hi David I'm very happy that you gave this review it help me out greatly, I was looking into buying a Linksys router because in the past that's mostly what I knew about, when you said that you got a airport extreme router from apple that was new to me, I did not know that apple even made routers, I started looking at the reviews on that router and for the most part everyone loved it, so I ordered one from apple and I have been using it for a month, that router have solved all of my issues with all of my wireless devices, my smart TV is not a dumb TV anymore and everything works GREAT! So thank you again and again! I'm also very happy with the apple support! Your the MAN! in my books. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2014 9:38:36 PM PDT
kjc-Texas says:
I have to say that I am currently on hold with Linksys, and have been for over two hours, even though the message says estimated wait time to be 5 mins, then 10 mins, then 5 mins, then 10 mins, then 5 mins etc. I bought the EA6900 along with the RE2000 extender along with tech support that was suppose to extend to my EA4500 also. I was suppose to get Four Belkin Premium High-Speed CAT6 Blue 7ft Ethernet Cables as a free gift which was not included in the shippment. I was going call about the cables and wait for them to arrive before connecting the EA6900 but then the EA4500 stopped working. This was concluded by the cable tech support who tried to troubleshoot our problems. We didn't have connection to our TIVO and after his suggestion to reset the EA4500 we had NO wireless connections at all. I called and after being on hold for an hour I tried Linksys online chat. I was disconnected and tried again. I gave my order number and the case number they gave me to have tech support set the EA6900 up and explained that the tech support I paid for was suppose to extend to the EA4500 router that was just recently out of warranty. We planned on using the EA4500 for my husband's office. The tech support person; Mai Lyka O was rude, imagine a rude online chat support, and refused to help troubleshoot my EA4500 without me purchasing a tech support option. I have decided to not ever buy another Linksys product and will be returning the EA6900 and RE2000. I refuse to be treated like this when there are other companies out there that will be happy to have my business. FYI Linksys, my order number is; 29571921 and the case number they gave me for support is; 02145385.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›