5.0 out of 5 stars THANK YOU Mrs. Roth...(possible slight spoilers), May 1, 2012
This review is from: Insurgent (Divergent Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
Thank you Mrs. Roth. Thank you thank you thank you. And thank you for it FINALLY being May.

I am one of those crazy people that actually set my alarm for the middle of the night, in order to read this book before school starts in the morning (I am a teacher). I was that excited. I fell absolutely in love with Divergent around Christmas and have been anxiously awaiting the sequel.

Let me just start out by saying, it was so worth the sleep deprivation.

The book starts out right after the end of Divergent, which honestly, I enjoyed. The ending of Divergent was, while a good close, so riveting after the events prior that it left me wondering how the rest of the train ride would be, and how they would get INTO Amity. I was not disappointed and enjoyed how it picked right up.

The entire sequence of Tobias and Tris in Amity was a perfect begining to the book. The character development really shines here, in my opinion, and *SPOILER* I couldn't stop laughing at one particular scene. I would have to say that, and *SPOILER* various simulation scenes where Tris really explores herself and what drives her whole being, were definitely my favorite in the book.

Overall, the book seems to be much longer than Divergent, as far as sequencing and character devleopment; which, don't get me wrong, I enjoyed. But there are PLENTY of ups and downs throughout the book to keep the pages (or clicks in my Kindle's case) turning. I was on the edge of my seat 99 percent of the time with this book!

I would also like to say a HUGE thank you to Mrs. Roth for the ending in particular. Although it is a cliffhanger, just like in Divergent, it is not some annoying cliffhanger where you are frantically guessing the character's next few steps, but rather, the book as a whole. This leaves the reader feeling much more at ease (in my opinion), because the characters stand strong but yet, you are right there with them as they are revealed where their next steps may be in the story, and are excited for the story itself as much as the character relationships. I believe a too many YA novels today focus too soley on the relationship status of the characters in the story, and Mrs. Roths' books are one of the few that keep it in a perfect balance. As mentioned before by Mrs. Roth, there is no love triangle for Tris and Tobias, which, I cannot give enough kudos to her for doing. Rather, the book focuses on their love for each other and just how far each of them will go to strengthen it, even suprising me a few times! *POSSIBLE SPOILER* So thank you Mrs. Roth, for not ending on some superficial, "what will happen to Tris and Tobias?! Will they be together forever?!" cliffhanger, but rather concluding this book as you did the one before so expertly, allowing the readers slight ease for the characters but bringing up a conclusion both riveting and leaving us ANXIOUSLY awaiting the next book now!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 2, 2012 8:27:16 AM PDT
KaPow says:
I absolutely agree! I also liked how the book started right where the last one ended and just took off. I also appreciated how the author left just enough suspense at he end to make us want the sequel, but not so much that we are worried about our favorite characters' well-being and/or relationships. *Spoiler* I ached for Tris and Tobias throughout the book, and if VR had ended it with them still angry with each other I would be so depressed.

Posted on May 3, 2012 7:32:34 PM PDT
Rebecca says:
Couldn't possibly agree with you more. :] It was a brilliant ending, for exactly the reasons you've described.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (10,188 customer reviews)
 (6,983)