The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars Using Targus case with iPad 2 and 3 - pluses and minuses - UPDATED FROM 3 to 1 star on 5-24, April 10, 2012
This review is from: Targus Slim Case for iPad 2, iPad 3 and iPad 4, Indigo (THD00605US) (Personal Computers)
UPDATE 5-24 - Don't fall for all the phoney comments saying they received the replacement case from Targus. We had ordered 2 cases and for both cases, 10 weeks after purchase, Targus is still giving us the runaround. They initially claimed they hadn't received an email from us, and now they're claiming that they haven't received the corrected designs yet - all excuses to somehow not correct their screw up. Now it's past the 30-day return period from Amazon, and we aren't getting the replacements either, so we're stuck with defective units. Targus should be ashamed of their sloppy product and even worse customer service. Won't be buying a Targus product in the future.

---

I've had the Targus cases for some time now and have been using it with iPad 2 and 3. Quick thoughts so far:

PROs:

DESIGN - Nice slim design. Doesn't add too much bulk. Looks good, feels great in the hand.

STANDS - Stands work great, pretty much the standard trifold design like Apple's smartcover. Both stands are stable on a flat surface or in my lap. Using the stands makes the beauty of this case come through, it feels so sleek!

CUTOUTS - All openings and camera cutouts line up correctly. Buttons are easily accessible without any struggle.

SMART FEATURE - Smart feature works (I'm not holding the lack of this feature on iPad 3 against the case, I understand it will be fixed in due course of time). However, there is a big con to this, commenting on that below.

PROTECTION - Screen is nicely and fully protected.

CONs:

As much as I wanted to like the cases, there are a few drawbacks that made me send them back.

PROTECTION - The case leaves exposed iPad real estate. The top and bottom bezel falls a tad higher than the case, so if the iPad is rested face down (front cover open), the iPad screen will come in contact with the surface. This means that if I were to accidentally drop the iPad, I cannot count on the case to protect it. Defeats the purpose of having a case. The side edges are perfect but if I close the case, top/bottom bezel is very visible, i.e. exposed. I'm not a fan of the Apple logo part being visible, it just leaves that part of the iPad exposed, but this is just a personal preference.

SMART FEATURE - The smart feature works when the case is closed (on iPad 2 and I'm guessing soon on iPad 3 as well), BUT it also works when you fold the front cover all the way to the back. It seems the back of the case is too thin to block the magnet on the front flap. This is a major annoyance and a deal breaker for me. Every time I fold the cover back, I hear the click of the screen locking and it goes blank. One handed reading is annoying because the screen keeps locking out.

FINISH - The finish is decent. This might just be being trivial, but the plastic parts around the back cover edges are not even. There are dents/uneven finishes in a few spots. Aesthetically it is not noticeable because it is covered by the front part, but I hold Targus to a higher standard.

STYLUS HOLDER - It may just be me, but the pictures of the cases here led me to believe that a stylus was included with the case (it's not). My bad for not reading the description, but I did want to point this out in case others got the same impression. The stylus loop is made of elastic and is too thin to insert a stylus comfortably. It's a struggle each time I want to insert or remove a stylus.

NEUTRAL:

MATERIAL - it says Polyurethane on the packaging and I'm sure it is. But it feels more like fabric, think smooth thin denim sewed on a plastic frame. Not sure if it will hold up over time, perhaps too soon to tell. The good thing about this material is that it looks neat and smooth.

All in all I love the design and slim form factor of the case, but some of the drawbacks led me to send it back. Hope this helps!

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Jun 11, 2012 9:43:53 AM PDT
We are very sorry to hear that you're having an issue with your Targus case for the new iPad. We want you to be pleased with your purchase. Please contact our customer service team at 1-877-483-7487 and they will be happy to send you a tested replacement case or in some situations another model if preferred. No need to return the case you have to us

We appreciate your business and will do whatever it takes to fix the issue.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 21, 2012 7:19:03 PM PDT
DD says:
While the Targus Slim Case is indeed slim (I examined it at a local Staples store today), its "look" is relatively dull. In contrast, after seeing about 20 covers at another retail store specializing in Apple products, I found another cover that had a slightly sleeker profile, but more importantly, had a look and feel to it that is very classy yet costs more or less about the same cost as the Targus Slim Case. It is called the SmartSuit3 The Joy Factory SmartSuit3 - Ultra Slim Snap On Stand/Case with Wake up/Sleep Cover for New iPad3 and iPad2 - Black (CSA103)

The Targus case appears to me to have a "student" look to it while, in comparison, the SmartSuit3 has more of a chic "professional" look. Since the costs of the Targus Slim Case and the SmartSuit3 are the same, in my opinion one is getting a better product and better value with the SmartSuit3.

A comment by the manufacturer   (What's this?)
Posted on Jun 11, 2012 9:43:53 AM PDT

We appreciate your business and will do whatever it takes to fix the issue.

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 1:43:47 PM PDT
Mike says:
I am just wondering if you got your replacement case yet?
I am in same situation and is being offered 6-8 weeks to get my replacement case.

Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 6:10:15 PM PDT
Devin says:
I have a case like this one. Different brand. I found that the "smart cover" dosnt always fit exactly. Sometimes it slides off the magnets and turns on. Also the stand that would make it sit up for watching movies is horrible on soft surfaces. I personally am looking for a case to replace the one i have because i dont like it. Plus i really want a case that has the apple logo showing.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.8 out of 5 stars (564 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $115.59