3.0 out of 5 stars Realistic and more wholesome Gossip Girl, October 28, 2011
This review is from: Heiress (Daughters of Fortune) (Paperback)
Ever since Gossip Girl came to life on television, I have been hooked on all things New York and its ritzy upper-crust families. Glamour, scandals, glitter and gold - when I heard Susan May Warren was tackling this world with a historical twist, call me hopelessly hooked but I was more than ready to jump into this adventure.

THE GOOD BITS
{The difference of chasing dreams versus living them.} Heiress takes place in a world where women did not have a lot of options - their main objective is to secure the right sort of marriage. Some women live for this, but others dream bigger for independence and perhaps a career. Esme dreams to be a journalist instead of marrying the man that her parents picked out, but is she prepared to leave the glittery world behind and get her hands dirty in the real world? That is the real trial by fire, and Susan May Warren allows this character to both fail and succeed.

{Jinx's knotty romance.} Granted I wouldn't wish anyone to go through what Jinx went through in the romance department, but it was so deliciously twisted that I flew through the pages to find out how it would all unravel. A heartbreaking nightmare of a love triangle, but when things were good, they were happy-good. The beauty of this particular storyline is how tragic and real it felt - how many women have been trapped like Jinx? How many had to let go of an impossible love to survive? It was riveting. It was raw. It was real - and I ate up every word of it!

THE BAD BITS
{Combination of 2 storylines.} It works for certain books. I don't think it was a major issue for Heiress, but when I got invested in one sister, I wanted to see her story through to the very end without any interruptions from the other sister. Susan May Warren gives us nice chunks of time with each sister, but I wished the story did not have to alternate - and perhaps each sister would get their own individual book.

{Just a smidge of Christian fiction?} I expected a more obvious Christian message somewhere within these pages, but I could not put a finger to it for the life of me. Granted, a good way to describe Heiress is a more wholesome Gossip Girl. Scandal and unfaithful husbands are still running around, but how does a Christian woman survive in such a society? Can she hold onto her faith when society kicks her to the curb? The problem that I have is that I did not really see Esme or Jinx struggling with their faith as much as the simple fact that life is unfair to women.

THE OVERALL
I think Susan May Warren is onto something with this latest series, and I admit some curiosity as to how the sisters will fare in the future after the ending. Heiress is quite enjoyable - not too historical, not too scandalous - just the right amount of both. More of a quiet and thoughtful piece on the trials for women living on the cusp of independence.

[Add comment]