5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every dime, March 1, 2008
This review is from: Vitamix 1363 CIA Professional Series, Platinum (Kitchen)
Why, you say, should I spend this insane amount of money for a blender? My answer: Because it's worth it. There is simply no comparison to other blenders. The Vitamix is the best. It really does crush ice effectively, make ice cream in seconds from frozen fruit and cream, and produces drinks and sauces that are utterly smooth, plus soups to die for. I make my own hummus and used it for baby food regularly, guests love it for silky frozen drinks, and it lasts--with zero problems. It's a quality device. Advertising is geared to health food because you can make drinks or soups from fresh produce and take advantage of the natural fiber that juicers take out, and they're right, but that's not why I bought it. I bought it because I hate the odd chunky bits of fruit in my smoothies, I hate taking blenders apart for cleaning and I wanted something I could depend on to do what I wanted each and every time. I've not been disappointed.

Update 3/18/10
I've had my Vita-Mix for many years and treasure it. My daughter has eyed it longingly so I finally bought her family one for Christmas, most especially so the little kids would get their veggies via tasty smoothies. I mean how else would you ever get a kid to eat raw kale (or me either, for that matter :). I found the current cookbook that came with her unit had so many terrific new recipes, I bought one for myself and am enjoying many new types of smoothies. The Autumn Harvest smoothie has sweet potato in it and is sensational. The Basil Lemonade is really delicious and the green smoothies are so packed with nutrition (plus taste good!) that we all feel energized. I can add flax seeds, sunflower kernels or other nuts to smoothies for an extra boost and know they'll always be completely smooth. I make some of my own whole-wheat flour now (although prefer my food processor to make the dough) so my bread is much healthier too. Yesterday when I had the little kids after school and we made a grocery store run, I was amazed and delighted to see them pick various types of fresh produce for smoothies right along with the expected pizza and cookies. We have a new generation of Vita-Mix fans in the family.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 2, 2010 6:34:28 PM PDT
MacGuffin says:
Very nice review--take it from a fellow Voice and Vita-fan. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2010 9:02:14 PM PDT
C. G. King says:
Thanks. I do love my Vita-Mix and always enjoy watching the chefs on stressful TV cooking competitions using it too--not because it's being showcased, but because it does the job dependably even under the most trying circumstances.

Posted on Jul 9, 2010 4:57:05 PM PDT
Thanks for the update, its nice to hear a product is still going strong after years of use.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2010 2:37:24 PM PDT
C. G. King says:
You're welcome. The Vita-Mix is getting a workout with cold drinks, velvet summer soups and sorbets this summer.

Posted on Oct 25, 2012 7:47:18 PM PDT
zitcat says:

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2012 9:58:01 PM PDT
C. G. King says:
Thanks for taking the time to express your view and I'm glad you've found a program that works well for you. I have done a lot of research on nutrition and know there are many different views. The trick is to find what works best for you. I love my smoothies and value the natural nutrition I get. It would seem my body does too since at 69 I'm ridiculously healthy with good blood pressure and fasting blood sugar of 95 even though there is diabetes in my family. I take no meds at all. I do limit grain, but enjoy making my own bread on occasion. One of the good things about that is that I never feel the urge to buy bread knowing that if I want it that much I can make my own. I used to have painful arthritis but have eliminated nearly all pain and inflammation by making smoothies that include things like pineapple (bromelain), seeded grapes, turmeric root and other things that are known anti-inflammatories. There is no other device that can turn pineapple cores, grape seeds and turmeric or ginger roots into the utter smoothness my VitaMix can. Adding plenty of ice makes my concoctions span two servings and makes the drink even more refreshing (I store the 2nd helping in a mason jar in the fridge for the next day). For me eating natural foods, including plenty of fruits and veggies has really paid off and I have my VitaMix to thank for a good portion of that. My latest great happiness is a pumpkin pie smoothie. Roasted pie pumpkins are naturally quite sweet so using that, some low fat milk, pie spice, a bit of sweetener (I like stevia) and ice makes a smoothie of pure heaven, especially at this time of year. I also freeze cranberries when they're in season and add those to various smoothies as well as cherries (also a good anti-inflammatory). There are so many possibilities, so little time :).

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2013 3:33:49 PM PST
IzziMoto says:
To suggest that eating large amounts of fruit leads to Diabetes is not only completely erroneous, but it's absolutely absurd- please cite your source and provide a link (or 2 or 3). Further, you do realize that most fruits (and veggies for that matter) are negative calorie foods, right? That means your body burns more calories digesting the food than it contains. Please explain to me how that leads to weight gain. Sugar, despite your opinion, is not the enemy- CALORIES are the enemy, regardless of where they come from. I'll concur that sugar intake does you no good (like anything, moderation is key), however, the naturally occurring sugar found in fruits has in no way been proven to increase your likelihood of developing diabetes. Consuming drinks which have ADDED sugar has- there's a very big difference there. It is a myth that eating 'too much' sugar causes diabetes, as found by the American Diabetes Association: http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/diabetes-myths/

The Mayo Clinic also contradicts what you've said:

I won't make any assumptions about you, your life, or your experiences as I'm sure you are a wonderful and thoughtful human, however, what you suggest about the sugars found in fruits has no basis in science. If I'm wrong, prove it- cite your research because I couldn't find anything that suggests what you said is correct- quite the opposite. Please prove me wrong- I like learning new things and will concede to you after I've read the research myself.

I, for one found the review to be helpful, well written and enjoyable to read so thank you, C.G. King and I applaud your health- good for you!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2014 11:58:20 AM PST
EB MamaBear says:
zitcat- although i think it is wonderful to share information about nutrition, i hope you can see by the amount of people who found your comment unhelpful, that your tone is off putting and placing your opinion here, with a vitamix review, is inappropriate.
i happen to actually agree with your nutrition views. now there are more and more studies confirming that too much fructose is in fact damaging, in many different ways (fructose/FODMAP intolerance, as well as it simply being a sugar which we all get too much of) and by now many of us know how gluten and grains/legumes are nutritional lightweights or can actually be harmful.
but you don't have the be all end all opinion of the matter. there actually is still some matter of debate about HOW much sugars/starches are harmful and it is also still open to debate on how different diets affect different people. some people may need to abide by a very low carb diet while others can eat a moderate amount of carbs, and even "splurge" from time to time with little or no long-term effects.
at any rate, you comment seems so angry, you are not likely to win anyone over. which is too bad, because i agree with you, eating a LOT of fruit (more than a few servings a day) can actually be quite harmful, and people need to understand that.

Posted on Feb 5, 2015 5:02:47 AM PST
Kingfish says:
I agree, this is worth the price. My brother has this blender and it works really well when making almond nut milk together with this nut milk bag Top Chef Quality Nut Milk Bag - Large 12"x10" Professional Grade - almond milk bag - Cold Brew Coffee and Tea Strainers - Makes Juices and Milk Substitutes - Free Recipes that I bought a few weeks ago.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

Reviewer

C. G. King
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Location: Horse Country, VA USA