1,071 of 1,144 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars AllSleep 4-Pound 3" Mattress Topper, November 3, 2012
This review is from: Queen Size 3 Inch Thick, 4 Pound Density Visco Elastic Memory Foam Mattress Pad Bed Topper. Made in the USA (Misc.)
I'm a very cautious buyer - I spent around 2 weeks researching brands and different mattress toppers as I was on a college student's budget. This is what I found:

Densities of Toppers
2 lb/ft density - For side sleepers, you'd want firmer mattresses so lower densities are better

Thickness of Toppers
2" - It all depends on weight. If you're a tiny Asian woman or one of those tall and really skinny guys who weigh like 130-ish pounds, 2 inches is fine.
3" - If you're like a college student who weighs around 160-ish, this is for you.
4" - For people who are muscular or particularly enjoy cake.

Brand Comparisons:
Amazon won't let people post links but there's a site called SleepLikeTheDead that shows really good brand comparisons. Do a bit of Googling and you'll find it.

Miscellaneous Information
Even though the topper seems to be like an inch short of the mattress you're putting it on, it really doesn't make a difference. I thought it would look obvious that the topper was shorter than the mattress but it wasn't.
Also, you have to let it expand before you use it or else it won't be able to expand to its maximum size. Some do weeks, others do a couple of days, but I let mine expand for like 5 hours and I measured it with a ruler and it got to its 3" thickness so I decided it was ready.

The last site shows great reviews of the topper. I'm a a back sleeper so I had to get a moderately thick topper and I happen to prefer my sleeps to be analogous to being devoured by pillows so I got a 4 pound density. This specific topper is the HIGHEST rated 3", 4lb/ft density mattress so this seemed like a perfect fit.

I was still a bit nervous on my choice as $150 is a big amount for a student but my first night on it removed all doubts. It's been several weeks now and I've noticed no smell except for the stench of my own laziness as I refuse to get up for classes. It is great. You will feel like you're floating on a pool, except instead of water, there's memory foam.

I highly recommend it if you're a back sleeper of moderate weight.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 13, 2013 3:41:57 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 13, 2013 3:42:32 PM PDT
No disrespect to your researching skills, but you've got it backwards in regards to density. The higher the lb/ft in density, the more firm the foam becomes. In other words, a 2lb topper, all but the lightest child among us would sink right through. A 4 or 5lb/ft would be approaching "very" firm for most people.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2013 12:01:19 AM PST
Mary Lee says:
Thanks for setting the reviewer straight on this. If I knew nothing of memory foam, this person would have me getting a 2lb and regretting it badly! I do wish they would edit it to correct it.

Posted on Nov 23, 2013 4:47:38 PM PST
Ted Striker says:
Thanks so much for that link though ! My mattress brand has the lowest score on the list and I noticed owners reporting sagging, which is also what I have. Wow, so expensive only to break down so quickly in only 2 years! Wish I had done more research before throwing thousands away. Also reading about Bed in a Box which produces a memory foam mattress from soybeans instead of petroleum and has a pretty high customer satisfaction rating.

This topper has been ordered.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2014 10:38:07 AM PST
R. Carter says:
the reviewer has it right and YOU are a little confused. They are talking about topper/matress combinations. a lower density topper with a firmer mattress is what is usually best for side sleepers so you sink in and the foam supports your mid section while the firmer mattress supports your hips and shoulders.

back sleepers need more support right off the bat to keep the proper arch in the lower back so a higher density is good.

thicker foam for heavier people.... as memory foam compresses to its max it becomes VERY firm/dense and can become uncomfortable so, if your a heavier person you probably need more.... unless you like sleeping on a rock.

please make sure you understand the reviews before posting negative comments that may affect someone buying the right product for them.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2014 8:28:24 AM PST
Lynn Weech says:
I agree with you R. Carter. I'm not sure how others came to the wrong conclusion when the reviewer clearly talks about mattresses and then toppers. I'm a side sleeper and the info is absolutely accurate for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2014 11:48:09 AM PST
Well, I guess you and Lynn were able to intuit that this review, which I thought was about this topper and it's properties, was also about how you should be shopping for a mattress at the same time. This is what I focused on when I read the review:

"Densities of Toppers
3-4 lb/ft density - For back sleepers, you'd want softer mattresses so you can sink. If you want a softer sleep, a 3 pound density is fine. If you want a fitful slumber of mutant marshmallows enveloping you, go for the 4 pound."

The topic header says it's about the density of toppers, yet there is only mention of mattresses when quantifying their attributes, so it wasn't much of a leap to think that the reviewer was using "mattress" in place of "mattress topper". I'm sure I wasn't the only one who jumped to that conclusion, right Mary?

And to each his own, of course, but I sleep on my side and back, and having a soft mattress for back sleeping would give me too much of a hammock feel which would leave my lower back in a mess of pain. But that's me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2014 9:11:02 AM PST
I agree with Kestrel, I personally found the topic header misleading and had to re-read the other comments before it dawned on me that the reviewer was talking about mattresses. I also agree that a higher foam density means firmer foam, this is based on my own experience. I am a side sleeper.

We have a firm Beautysleep pillowtop mattress which felt too hard and get back/shoulder pains. Bought a 3-in thick 4.2 lb memory foam topper on Ebay that lasted us 11 years, it was the perfect density for the mattress, not too hard, not too soft, really contoured to the body. Couldn't wait to get home from vacations, that's how good and supportive it was.

Bought sister a 3-lb density 3-in topper for her firm mattress, it was too soft for side sleeping, felt the hammock effect on my back too.

True that not all topper densities are as advertised so really have to test it out. We ditched our old topper before replacing and regret it because with the reviews for different brands, can't seem to pick which is a real 4-lb density viscoelastic one. :(

Hope we all find our perfect topper fit!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2014 6:00:55 PM PST
S. Anderson says:
Thanks Kestrel Kid. The original description confused me too.

Posted on Jun 20, 2014 2:48:22 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 29, 2014 12:38:02 AM PDT]

Posted on Oct 6, 2014 5:55:58 AM PDT
Eva Miner says:
This reviewer seems to assume way to much authority about mattresses and/or mattress toppers to write such confusing and/or inaccurate statements. From what I know, he is wrong no matter what product he is talking about. I would jus ignore it. ILD rating is what we would really want anyway, and apparently this product does not supply it, so you are on your own.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›