5.0 out of 5 stars Great 3rd party at great price, April 2, 2012
This review is from: Neewer® Vertical Battery Grip for Canon EOS 5D MARK II Digital SLR Camera Replacement for Canon BG-E6 Battery Grip (Electronics)
I've been looking for 3rd party battery grip for 5DM2 for sometime.

After reading reviews of different battery grip, it came down to 4 battery grips. I just picked this one for the lowest price, however, after reading positive reviews (even though only 7 total reviews on this one), I decided to order this one. From the product description, it doesn't say who's battery grip this is. I figure, I can play around for a bit but if I don't like it, I can always return via Amazon's great return policy.

The battery grip I received is made by MeiKe. There are few reviews of this grip for other bodies, if anyone is interested. Packaging is pretty much 3rd party standard with bubble wrap and some instructions inside the box. Nothing fancy but nothing broken, so its all good.

The grip itself, when I took it out felt pretty solid in my hand. Nice rubberized grip around where I will be holding the camera in portrait mode, so that felt good.

The battery compartment door felt not the highest quality nor the lowest quality...and good fit overall. I already have 2 canon batteries (LP-E6), so decide to place them inside. You have to remove the AA battery holder in order to place the LP-E6 inside (store the holder with the box and manual for future). I think one of the reviewer said the door was tight fit after the battery was inserted, however, I didn't notice this issue. Door closed without any issue, and it closed very nicely with nice click.

Grip itself has a place to put your camera battery compartment door so that you won't lose it.

Place the grip to the 5DM2, and started to screw on the grip. Didn't over tighten attach/detach knob of the grip of being afraid of "stripping the screws", however, it was tight. Only thing that was after tightening of the knob, the knob is loose top to bottom. However, it does not rotate side to side for tightening and loosen. I think the knob is operated by small gear system inside, and once it is tighten to the tripod socket of the body, it will not back out, unless user decides to loosen it.

Plastic used for this grip matched the main 5Dm2 body. All the icons are the same as the buttons on the body. Fit was perfect. Rubberized grip feels nice and does not slip even when your hands are slightly wet. Rubberized grip actually feels nicer than the 5DM2's grip.

Overall, I am totally satisfied with this purchase. Of course, I will continue to monitor this grip to see if I notice anything funny...but I don't think it will. After taking about 500 shots over last couple of days, it shows no issue what so ever. Also, I am going to test out the grips tripod socket. I just want to make sure this socket is nice and sturdy when placed on a tripod/monopod very soon.

I would recommend this to other folks who is looking for 3rd party grip for your 5DM2.

[Add comment]