5.0 out of 5 stars A great resource for PHP programmers, March 26, 2008
This review is from: Wicked Cool PHP: Real-World Scripts That Solve Difficult Problems (Paperback)
I saw this book on a friends desk and shamelessly took it before he had a chance to read it. I have many php books on my bookshelf, too many. I can now remove quite a few and replace them with this book.

When I first glanced through this book, I was intrigued by the way it was laid out. There are 12 chapters covering many topics that php programmers should know about their language and how browsers interact with a web server using php. Each chapter has many sections that cover a specific topic and most have very useful code examples. The extra feature is a part labeled: "What can go Wrong?". This is a great time saver on how to deal with common issues that might come up when you are working on your php script and implementing the example code. Most of the issues have really good explanations of how and why something could go wrong. What makes this book a real keeper is that they have the "why" explanations. I've always hated it when books tell you to do something a certain way, but never go into any depth on WHY you should do it one way or another. This book has the WHY covered very well for a great number of the examples.

The style of the book makes it easy to read and learn from the examples. In my case, it makes it easy to pickup, read a few pages when I get the chance and then put it down again. I find it easy to pick up right where I left off and keep reading right on to the next example. I like the humor level too. Often authors can get a little too cutesy with their wit and humor. I find that to be a real turn off. William and Brian (The authors) do a great job of keeping the humor light and laughable.

I just made some room on my busy book shelf for this book of 76 time-saving, problem-solving php scripts. I hope my friend doesn't ask for it back...

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 6, 2009 8:13:30 AM PST
Is Jay promoting stealing books? that is not good example.

Posted on May 3, 2009 2:56:49 PM PDT
soren121 says:
If this book is as good as you say, I hope your friend has the decency to demand it back.

Posted on Aug 23, 2009 1:06:59 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 23, 2009 1:07:24 AM PDT
you are not his friend. Perhaps he knows this.

Posted on Dec 26, 2009 9:22:38 AM PST
P. Tutty says:
I want my book back, Jay...:P

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2010 6:43:42 PM PST
guys, - give this reviewer Jay, a break! He's just jokingly trying to say how he liked the book. I'm sure his friend knows he has it, and i'm sure if the friend really wants it back 'now', that Jay would return it. Lighten up a bit!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2010 6:45:27 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2010 6:45:40 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2010 12:29:16 AM PDT
Someone remind me to hide my books when he's around :)

Posted on Jul 19, 2010 11:27:07 AM PDT
Laughable humor is my favorite kind.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (24 customer reviews)

$29.95 $22.47