Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Holiday Music in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now DOTD

5.0 out of 5 stars An Old Favorite Returns.....Successfully!, December 10, 2010
This review is from: Slingo (Kindle Edition)
I was really surprised to see "SLINGO", an old favorite of mine, suddenly available for my Kindle. Years ago I had a hand-held version, and to this day it had remained my favorite Slingo. The newer ones have gone off on too many tangents. I'm happy to report that this version of Slingo is almost the same as the original!

The board is the typical Slingo type, with five columns of five numbers.....just like a Bingo card. There are five reels at the bottom, one for each row, and when you spin them, numbers appear. If a number matches one on your Slingo card, you get to mark it off. The idea is, as in Bingo, to eliminate all numbers on your card.

You get a total of 20 spins to clear your card. As you clear one or more rows, columns or diagonals (called a "Slingo"), you are awarded points. If your removal of a single number creates more than one Slingo, you are awarded bonus points. Removing numbers on your card is easy done by using the 4-direction button on your Kindle.

Along the way, there are other items that may or may not show up on your reels. Jokers can be used to match and remove any number in a column. Devils will take 1/2 your score, unless a Cherub also appears to save you. The Cherub might on occasion also double your score! Coins sometimes appear to give you an extra 1,000 points each.

Spins 1-16 are free, but your last four spins will cost you from 500 to 2,000 points. You can win free spins when they appear on your reels during the game.

The stats page is very nicely done, and includes some interesting stats such as average score, average card-fill percentage, total Slingos, etc.

The only thing missing from this game is the sound. But I never did like listening to the Devil laughing whenever he took half my points, so I enjoy not having to hear him.

This Kindle version is a very good adaptation of a classic hand-held and PC game, and I think it is well worth the price. If Amazon keeps this up, I may have to unload a few books from my Kindle to make room for the games! (Not really, as each game seems to take up the same amount of memory as just one book.)

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 11, 2010 7:18:23 PM PST
I've only ever played on the computer or on my DS. How do you select which number to cover when you get a joker? I would like to know more before I buy. Thanks for any tips! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2010 1:03:54 AM PST
Megan this is the basic Slingo game, there are no Super Jokers in this Kindle version so the number you choose must be in the same row as the joker showing on the bottom. You move your cursor to the number you wish to select as you would do to choose any regular non-joker number. This is a great game, I noticed that my scores are a lot higher than on online Slingo. I played 4 or 5 games so far and the devil only appeared once and was knocked off by the cherub.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2010 1:53:47 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 12, 2010 1:55:13 AM PST

As Joseph said, you use the 4-direction button to go to the number you wish to cover, then just click on it.

Tips? Here is the best tip I can think of:

Always save the center number as long as you can. It is the only number you can cover that has a chance to make four Slingos at once. The four corners and all diagonal numbers should be saved as long as possible in order to have more chances to nail three Slingos at once. Any time you can cover a number WITHOUT creating a (single) Slingo, do it. This gives you more opportunities to get multiple Slingos later. I know it's hard to resist grabbing a Slingo while you can, but hitting multiple Slingos with a single number later in the game always creates a higher score.

Just like Joseph, I also had the Devil appear only once in my first five games, and I was saved by a Cherub. I've noticed that the more I play, the Devil seems to appear more often, but still not nearly as often as in any other Slingo version I've played.

Something I've noticed that I think is interesting is how there is absolutely NO movement on the reels when they are "spinning", but because of the way they are inked, they appear to be moving. It's a clever little trick, and whoever created it deserves a little applause.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2010 5:09:07 AM PST
Hi Ellen interesting scoring tips, but I wonder how you can "save" a center number or wherever it is if it shows up on the reels. You would have to click on it right then in order to go to the next spin because I dont think there is a timer in this game. Once I thought I had clicked all numbers in the spin and was pushing on the controller button like mad and it wouldnt advance to next spin until all possible numbers were covered.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2010 6:31:07 AM PST
Thanks, Ellen! I may have to suck it up and buy this! I've become addicted to every other form of Slingo I've ever played! :)

Thanks again for the tips! Have a great day! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2010 1:20:27 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 12, 2010 1:21:56 PM PST
You are correct, Joseph. I should have made myself clearer. What I meant was when you use JOKERS, then you should place them according to my strategy. I guess I was thinking of the fact that Megan already knows how to play the game.....and you cannot use any strategy unless you are using Jokers. I've played the game for so many years that it just comes natural to think of any type of game play in terms of when I am using a joker.

Now that you mention the timer, I don't think that in my other versions of Slingo I have ever ignored a NUMBER on a reel as a strategic move. I may try that sometime, although it might be akin to playing blackjack and stopping at 11.

I think there is a good reason for no timer on this game. Whenever there is no movement on a Kindle screen, the batteries is not being used (for example, the dead-author screens). If there was a timer, the battery would lose power faster. I find this to be the case while playing "Shuffled Row", as there is almost always screen movement during play. It doesn't keep me from playing it though, as it is one of my favorite Kindle games.

Posted on Mar 1, 2011 8:28:44 AM PST
This is the first time I have played Slingo, and I am enjoying it on my Kindle, I was wondering if there was a way to reset the High score? Most hand-held games have a reset button. Just wondering.

Posted on Sep 2, 2011 9:39:04 AM PDT
Robin M. says:
I wonder why there is no sound on this one? The Kindle does have speakers for things like AudioBooks, etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2011 1:32:46 PM PDT
Joey's Girl says:
So far I have heard no sound on ANY kindle games. I kind of wish some of them did have sound.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›