5.0 out of 5 stars Big features, small package, April 16, 2012
This review is from: Panasonic Lumix DMC FH-8 16.1 MP Digital Camera with 5x Wide Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom (Black) (Electronics)
Length:: 4:25 Mins

I've been a photographer for several years now and am very familiar with cameras and doing manual photography. This is my 4th high-end camera, and my previous cameras were Panasonic, Canon, and Fujifilm. This is my first high-end compact camera, however.
I like this camera for pretty much the very reasons that drew me to it. I wanted a quality camera that I could carry around as an alternative to my bulky canon, since I found myself not taking pictures often just because I never had a camera on me. I did a lot of research and I liked this one because of its wide-angle, 5x zoom lens, optical image stabilizer (which is featured on all Lumix's), Panasonic brand name (I had a good experience with my first Panasonic, until I lost it), and incredibly small size. This camera does essentially everything my big cameras did, except without as much zoom and the ability to manually set aperture and shutter speed. It may even do some things better.
Additional features are its HD video recording, 16 megapixel resolution (which in my opinion is more than necessary), and intelligent auto which really is quite intelligent. Now it apparently has two modes of capturing videos, one in HD and another in motion J-peg or something like that... I don't know. I honestly don't care, but I have taken some videos and they turned out fantastic.

Pros:
-Wide angle lens (hard to find on compact cameras) which can create more depth of field
-optical image stabilizer
-plenty, but not too many, scene modes to give me a sense of control in taking the picture (not nearly as good as manual, but sufficient for a compact)
-5x zoom, not bad for a small camera
-trademark Panasonic picture quality, with good exposure and balanced colors (see my customer pics)
-amazingly small! I can't believe all of this is in such a tiny device.
-intelligent auto mode which will take great pictures for those who don't know what I'm talking about in this review
-reasonably priced

Cons:
-No manual shutter speed/aperture control. I won't complain since virtually no small cameras have this, but it would have been nice if Panasonic had added this feature.
-No mode dial that some cameras have. I list this as a con because some people might consider it one. I personally like it the way it is, although sometimes it takes me a while to get it set the way I want it. The controls are simple enough so I'll just have to get used to it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 31 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 14, 2012 1:09:02 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 14, 2012 1:10:26 PM PDT
Can you tell me what comes in the box? Does it include a wall charger for the battery?

Also, does it zoom during video recording?

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2012 1:52:46 PM PDT
Tyler Yasaka says:
Yeah, it comes with the camera, a usb wall charger, a usb cable, a battery, a instruction manual, and a Photo Fun Studio CD.
It does zoom some during video recording, but it is digital zoom rather than optical zoom (in other words it just crops the image, but the lens doesn't actually move). It has both HD and VGA video recording.
Let me know if you have any other questions.

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2012 2:31:17 PM PDT
Thanks! This helps a lot. :)

Posted on Jun 11, 2012 6:50:58 PM PDT
InMyOpinion says:
Hi, I know virtually nothing about cameras, the product description says, "The 5x optical zoom also increases its power to the equivalent of 10x with the Intelligent Auto Zoom function with minimum deterioration of image quality thanks to the help of Intelligent Resolution Technology". What does that mean? It can zoom up to 10X? I had a Samsung 3X and it blurred items when you tried to get a close-up. Do you think this 5X will do that? Or should I consider buying a Lumix 10X ?? thanks so much.

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 12:57:55 PM PDT
J. Hale says:
Hey, how is the video recording in low light?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 6:00:33 PM PDT
Tyler Yasaka says:
Well, basically it says that the digital zoom on this camera is so intelligent it is almost as good as regular zoom. (Digital zoom is the same thing as cropping a picture on a computer. You lose picture quality, unlike with actual zoom.) I don't use the digital zoom on my cameras so I can't say whether it's that good or not.
But the reason items blurred on your old camera is not because it didn't have enough zoom. It's because the more you zoom, the easier it is to see the shaking of your hand in the picture. (Basically, that blur is in every picture but easier to see when you zoom in.) So no I don't think you'll need a 10x zoom lens unless you plan on taking pictures of things far away. For a pocket sized camera like this, 5x is plenty of zoom.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 8:09:31 PM PDT
InMyOpinion says:
Thanks, Tyler! I get it now. Still debating between the Lumix SZ1 10X and this camera .... don't know if I'll ever need to take pics of things far away but the 10X is actually $2 cheaper .... go figure. (So why not?)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 10:41:19 PM PDT
Tyler Yasaka says:
It does just as well as any other camera in low light, as far as I can tell. Of course, with any camera more light is better. In lower light conditions the ISO is usually raised to fix the exposure, which makes it more grainy.
I'm uploading a video review to Amazon right now and I took a few shots in low light conditions if you want to see what it's like.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 7:30:03 PM PDT
InMyOpinion says:
Thanks for the video, very helpful! And I still can't decide between the 5X and 10X. Wish the 10X was a lot more $$ instead of being cheaper. I could then make up my mind ;-)

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 8:42:12 AM PDT
Brita Jack says:
Does it come with a memory card ? If not what does the internal hold?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›