5.0 out of 5 stars Big features, small package, April 16, 2012
This review is from: Panasonic Lumix DMC FH-8 16.1 MP Digital Camera with 5x Wide Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom (Black) (Electronics)
Length:: 4:25 Mins

I've been a photographer for several years now and am very familiar with cameras and doing manual photography. This is my 4th high-end camera, and my previous cameras were Panasonic, Canon, and Fujifilm. This is my first high-end compact camera, however.
I like this camera for pretty much the very reasons that drew me to it. I wanted a quality camera that I could carry around as an alternative to my bulky canon, since I found myself not taking pictures often just because I never had a camera on me. I did a lot of research and I liked this one because of its wide-angle, 5x zoom lens, optical image stabilizer (which is featured on all Lumix's), Panasonic brand name (I had a good experience with my first Panasonic, until I lost it), and incredibly small size. This camera does essentially everything my big cameras did, except without as much zoom and the ability to manually set aperture and shutter speed. It may even do some things better.
Additional features are its HD video recording, 16 megapixel resolution (which in my opinion is more than necessary), and intelligent auto which really is quite intelligent. Now it apparently has two modes of capturing videos, one in HD and another in motion J-peg or something like that... I don't know. I honestly don't care, but I have taken some videos and they turned out fantastic.

Pros:
-Wide angle lens (hard to find on compact cameras) which can create more depth of field
-optical image stabilizer
-plenty, but not too many, scene modes to give me a sense of control in taking the picture (not nearly as good as manual, but sufficient for a compact)
-5x zoom, not bad for a small camera
-trademark Panasonic picture quality, with good exposure and balanced colors (see my customer pics)
-amazingly small! I can't believe all of this is in such a tiny device.
-intelligent auto mode which will take great pictures for those who don't know what I'm talking about in this review
-reasonably priced

Cons:
-No manual shutter speed/aperture control. I won't complain since virtually no small cameras have this, but it would have been nice if Panasonic had added this feature.
-No mode dial that some cameras have. I list this as a con because some people might consider it one. I personally like it the way it is, although sometimes it takes me a while to get it set the way I want it. The controls are simple enough so I'll just have to get used to it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 11-20 of 31 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 11:29:12 AM PDT
Tyler Yasaka says:
No, it doesn't come with a memory card but the internal memory is 80 megabytes (72.1 mb of usable space). So it can take 16 pics if you have it set to 10 megapixels, which is what I use.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 1:10:16 PM PDT
Brita Jack says:
Panasonic Lumix SZ1 16.1 MP Digital Camera with 10x Optical Zoom....is there much different between this one? Don't understand why its cheaper. I am fond of the quirky purple color :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 1:53:12 PM PDT
InMyOpinion says:
I was asking the same exact question! I don't get it, why not go for the 10X, especially if it's cheaper??

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 2:38:36 PM PDT
Tyler Yasaka says:
Only difference I see is that the SZ1 is a little bigger and heavier.
FH8 dimensions: 3.8 x 0.8 x 2.2 inches ; 3.8 ounces
SZ1 dimensions: 3.9 x 0.9 x 2.4 inches ; 4.2 ounces
So the SZ1 is like .1 or .2 inches longer in each dimension and about half and ounce heavier. If you don't mind the camera being a bit bigger you might as well go for the SZ1! Just depends on whether amount of zoom or compactness is your priority. lol wish I had seen that camera before... or maybe not, since I probably would never have been able to decide.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 3:14:09 PM PDT
InMyOpinion says:
Oh Tyler, you don't know .... I'm the QUEEN of INDECISION! It's rare that I got this far, this fast ... narrowing it down to the brand and to two models ;-) I'll probably go for the 10X then, I mean, why not? The size difference is miniscule. Thanks again for your help.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2012 1:28:17 PM PDT
Thx SO MUCH for video.. I also am choosing between the FH8 & SZ1...FH8 with less zoom is basically same price. FH8 has Venue Engine..Panasonic's speed recovery tool..I want fast recycle... What do you think about the Venus Engine?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2012 2:29:48 PM PDT
Tyler Yasaka says:
No problem hope it helps. The Venus Engine works great for me. It seems to be very fast and responsive... Don't think you can go wrong with it.

Posted on Aug 28, 2012 12:55:17 PM PDT
Hey Tyler. How's the battery life?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2012 1:07:34 PM PDT
InMyOpinion says:
Don't know what Tyler thinks but it's not as good as my old 3X Samsung. I can't remember what they claim, but whatever it is, I didn't find it true. You can get a good number of pics taken (I really should make note) but then have to charge it. I just try to keep an eye on it. Sorry I'm not more specific.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2012 2:21:54 PM PDT
Tyler Yasaka says:
Well I have 2 batteries, and if I keep them charged I don't have any problems. And like In My Opinion said, it probably doesn't take as many pics as it says in one charge. I think that's true for just about any camera though; the number is probably the maximum which means you have to have all the settings just right and maybe take all the pictures at once. Either way, it seems to be plenty long to me, and you can't go wrong with having a spare.

Review Details