5.0 out of 5 stars Season 3 is the first of The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour dvd sets!, August 14, 2008
This review is from: The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour: The Best of Season 3 (DVD)
As everyone is asking, "Where are The Best of The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour Seasons 1 and 2?" I spoke directly to a Smothers Brothers rep and here's what I found out. There have been delays in producing the best of The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour dvd sets due to reasons unknown. I would guess that the reasons have something to do with getting all the approvals needed by the numerous guests on the shows, that is the cause of delay. Even this Season 3 is a few weeks behind schedule.

When I asked about certain musical groups appearing on this Season 3, I was happily told that The Who will not be on Season 3, but will be appearing on Season 2, which is right now in the making! I was so happy to hear that they are currently working on Season 2! This Season 2 will contain the famous performance by The Who, when Keith Moon used too many explosives and blew out poor Pete Townsend's eardrum!

Even though all 3 Seasons are being released backwards, starting with Season 3, I am still totally thrilled! The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour always had the best performers on their shows, along with great musical performances by the best groups of the time, not to mention all the political buttons they pushed for the politicians here in America!

It's certainly wonderful to hear that they are making the "Best Of" all three Seasons of The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour, even if they are being released starting with this last Season 3! Getting to see these shows again is certainly a rare treat!

The information I received on The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour Season 3 dvd set from Time Life, states that the following is included:
This 4 dvd set includes 11 star packed episodes from Season 3, that were personally chosen by Tom and Dick Smothers. These 11 shows (there were 26 shows made in Season 3, 26 in Season 2 and 20 in Season 1) are shown as they were originally intended, uncut and complete. When these shows aired in 1968 and 1969, they had sketches and performances that were cut out by the network censors at CBS. These shows will now be seen complete, as intended back in the 60's, before the censors cut them up. Tom and Dick Smothers will comment with an introduction before each show on this set also.

The guest list includes some of the better known stars: George Harrison, Harry Belafonte (Harry sings a very rare "Don't Stop the Carnival" as footage of the police brutality and riots at the Chicago Democratic Convention plays behind him- this was originally cut by network censors, and is for the first time released on this set), Bob Newhart, Steve Martin, George Carlin, The Doors, Ray Charles, Jackie Mason, Cass Elliot, Jonathan Winters, Joan Baez, David Steinberg, Ike and Tina Turner, Judy Collins and more.

Also included is the infamous "Pat Paulsen for President" television special, which includes newly uncovered, a never been seen appearance by Robert F. Kennedy. This was originally cut from the broadcast because of the Senator's assassination, that was being mourned by our nation. This is a very rare clip that shows the Senator's humorous side. This also includes bonus footage when Pat Paulsen takes a trip to the White House.

Included also, is a rare interview which was originally intended to air on the first show of this 3rd Season with baby doctor, Dr. Benjamin Spock. It was cut by network censors due to Dr. Spock's anti war activist stance. There are also many extra's that include never before seen rehearsal footage and also included is the 1968 press conference following the abrupt termination of The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour by CBS. The Smothers Brothers had just signed their 4th Season contract, when CBS terminated them. Back then in 1969, everyone knew that this sudden cancellation of the show was due to the Smothers Brothers outspoken political humour and views. What we didn't know is how many sketches and performances were cut by CBS censors, which we now get to see for the first time ever! This set is going to be a real treat with 11 uncut shows and lots of bonus material, and I can't wait to see the "Best of" Seasons 1 and 2, even if they are being released backwards!

UPDATE July 2009- After waiting a little over a full year, THE SMOTHERS BROTHERS COMEDY HOUR:THE BEST OF SEASON 2 is being released by Time-Life on October 20, 2009!! You can pre-order on Amazon now!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 8, 2009 9:28:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 8, 2009 9:29:46 PM PDT
pretty interesting factoids........but no need to tell us the series is being released backwards 3 times. We got it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2009 9:30:26 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 18, 2009 10:20:07 PM PDT
Dear D. Hud Gregory,
After a busy day, I write my reviews late at night based on all the information I can find on a product along with my opinions, which I hope will help Amazon shoppers, as their reviews always help me. I absolutely love this Smothers Brothers dvd, and when I am enthusiastic about something, I may say something more than once. If I repeat anything, it's just me being the imperfect human being that I am in a wonderfully imperfect world. So, I hope you'll find it in your perfect self to forgive my imperfect review, as I can't do any better, as this is my very best. Maren

Posted on Apr 11, 2009 10:25:11 PM PDT
Biomanb2 says:
As for your D.Hud rebuttal: You go, guy. Thanks for a great review. I'm buyin' it.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2009 5:23:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 13, 2009 4:00:40 PM PDT
Thanks so much for your post Biomanb2! Maren

Posted on May 1, 2009 6:49:06 PM PDT
Xagan says:
let's see at 40 minutes per air hour, that leaves 10 minutes per 1/2 hour for commercials. If anything that seems to be a conservative allowance for commercial time, even considering the show problems with sponsors at the time.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2009 3:49:45 AM PDT
Hiya, I am 56. If you do the math that means I was 17 when I "graduated" from Mound H.S. in 1970. At the time, of course, the S.B's were all the way to the left, but compared to today they seem tame. This does not take away from their message which was pertinent then as now. Add their unique brand of comedy and you have a production that will stand the test of time. Man, they were GREAT!!! They got away with stuff that even the censors weren't bright enough to recognize as a threat at the time. Oh, how the times they are a changin'! The innocence of the times still strike me. Kent State, Chicago Dem Convention, the list goes on. Most of us who were left leaning still didn't fully realize the potential for future horror. Our military and federal government are run by self serving despots who either cannot or will not take a stand for what is right. Take care of your community for that is the only place one can make a real difference. Do not ignore the world, but live righteous at home. Peace, people.
Pete in the Scary Woods

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2009 10:48:49 PM PDT
Dear Peter,
Thanks so much for your post. We are almost the same age- I am a '71 graduate. You are so right about our time being so innocent. The older I get, the more I see that our young generation at least tried more than any other to make political changes in the world. As I see it from an older viewpoint, we all had missing family from WWII- I think most of us had missing Uncle's who died for all of us as teens themselves. Perhaps that's why so many of us got personally involved in protesting the war in Vietnam- the thought of more loss of family, without a world dictator, was truly insane and needed to stop. Our innocence was in the fact that throughout history, people really don't change, but at least we did have a hand in stopping a war that would have gone on taking more precious lives. The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour shows bring back all those memories from those innocent, but highly charged political times, and the show is still great! Thanks again for your post! Maren
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (55 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $229.99