3.0 out of 5 stars Faster than the 2013 version. Works great until it nears expiration., November 19, 2013
This review is from: Norton Internet Security 2014 - 1 Year / 3 Licenses (CD-ROM)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
What I like: Has an effective Firewall and Virus protection. Works in the background without noticibly slowing down the computer.
Updates are done without needing to check off a box or annoying pop up windows.
The 2014 version seems to load faster in Windows 7 than the prior version.

What I don't like:
Norton Internet Security is very annoying right before it expires. The program will send you constant pop up messages telling you to renew your subscription which you have keep clicking to get it off your screen.
When it finally expires, you will still get constant pop ups telling you that you must subscribe to be protected.
Worst, the program seems to stop functioning after the 1 year subscription ends. The older versions kept working but wouldn't update the virus subscriptions. The 2013 version just stopped working after 1 year until you resubscribe. This is a terrible feature that isn't mentioned anywhere.

[...]

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 20, 2013 4:21:17 PM PST
Jeff S. says:
sounds sucky to me

Posted on Nov 26, 2013 6:17:37 PM PST
J. Morrissey says:
I totally agree with your frustration. I had been using Norton IS for many years. But then Norton suddenly changed its software, where it gives you these extremely annoying popups every time you log on in the month or two leading up to the expiration. Even after it expired, it kept sending me these annoying messages and the software stopped working. I was soooo fed up with the constant pop-ups asking me to renew - even long after it had expired - that I seriously considered dumping Norton altogether. If they want to lose loyal customers, they've found the right way to do it with the annoying popups and the software not working after a year.

Posted on Dec 19, 2013 8:44:14 AM PST
Rex Mundi says:
Of course it won't work as good after it expires, why would it?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2013 3:06:22 PM PST
L. Kranick says:
Why shouldn't it? He paid for a product, he didn't rent it! It should continue to work, just not up grade anymore.

Posted on Jan 4, 2014 8:59:55 AM PST
Can you clarify? Does it stop working completely, or just stop updating the virus definitions? In effect, this is the same thing (who would want to expose themselves to new viruses?), but the old versions would still keep working, although the virus defs were out of date. So, does the program just lock up, or not?

Posted on Jan 7, 2014 4:44:23 PM PST
It would be nice if it kept working after the expiration date (without allowing virus updates), but on the other hand I don't think it's terribly unreasonable that it supposedly doesn't (I've never let mine expire so I can't say) - There are other subscription based programs that do this. That is, quite working after they expire. As far as giving you the pop-ups, it's not like you're getting one every ten minutes. What if it didn't warn you at all, expired, and you got some new virus because of it?

To me, the price is quite reasonable for peace of mind, so paying once a year is totally worth it.

Posted on Jan 14, 2014 9:49:44 PM PST
csm says:
Personally, I like getting those pop-up reminders. Can't tell you how many things like this I let expire because, quite frankly, I'm WAY too busy and any help I can get as a reminder is quite welcome.

Posted on Jan 16, 2014 2:20:14 AM PST
R.Pat says:
I purchased Norton's 2013 basic spyware program through Amazon at a much cheaper price then if I had renewed it through Symantec after the 60 day free trial period expired. I have had really good success with this product and it is worth the money if it can correct one piece of Malware or virus a year. I have no idea why it is so much cheaper through Amazon but I will not complain. In the past I have used AVG free with which worked very well for me considering I had a young teenage step-son using non reputable web sites. Mostly everything I learned about computers was through the school of hard knocks. I have spent many a hour trying to diagnose and fix problems on my old computers. I will pay the $35 a year and go with the with the security of Norton's 360 this year I am stepping up with the registry cleaner and malware protection simply for the reason if you use an iPhone and download programs needed for your smartphone you will be adding unnecessary/unwanted programs. N360 will help clean these up and speed up your computer. I am a dumb ol' ironworker with a lot of time on my hands now but I would rather be spending that free time looking up baseball or football stat's then trying to figure out what is wrong with my computer. The only nuisance/complaint I have it Symantec saying I have less then 30 days to renew and in all actuality I have 60 day's.

Posted on Feb 23, 2014 8:08:34 AM PST
John Guley says:
Kaspersky Internet Security does the same thing . . . pop-up messages their protection service has been "turned off" until you pay for a renewal. Does anyone know of a way to turn off the constant notices?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2014 10:03:39 AM PST
It is a one year subscription, so it only SHOULD last one year, sounds right to me.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (1,224 customer reviews)

$79.99 $19.99
Reviewer

Sam Archer
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Location: USA