4.0 out of 5 stars Great, but if you have to know a few things, May 13, 2012
This review is from: Sony DVPSR510H DVD Player (Upscaling) (Electronics)
My $59 Phillips DVD Player died with the second capacitor failure (lasted 6 years) - so I went to look at a new DVD player. When this Sony DVD Player finally got here on Friday, I hooked it up, checked it via putting in several DVD sand found the Widescreen was stretched. Since Sony has a picture menu, I was too new to even understand what went where. So I called Sony and slowly we found our way to a software bug. If you are on a Standard TV, Especially any Sony WEGA TV, the software will allow you to reset from 16/9 to 4/3 letterbox, but the image on the TV never changes. So we reset and tried again. It looks like the software won't reflect the change or a better way to say this, the screen is frozen in the stretched format - until I chose Enhanced 16/9 and turned it on an off. Then the 4/3 letterbox applied. Most buyers will have an HD TV - so you will not walk into this problem.

One more point. If you have hooked your TV to your Stereo and your Standard TV turns on, but the sound is low, turn the Speakers on or off (then off if you use your stereo), then change Audio Out from Variable to Fixed.

All of this took 2 days to figure out. Sony has an article on this audio problem, but does not reflect this above solution.

So what do I think of the DVD Player? It looks great, very small. No LED to show time/chapter or even loading. All the controls are via the remote and on the TV. Use the Time/Text button to see all time and chapters. When I buy an HD TV, then the upscale 1080p will be a real plus. And it is $10 cheap than the Phillips DVD I bought before. So I think this a great buy at the price, Just be aware that if you hook it up to a standard TV, you may need the solutions listed above.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 1, 2012 5:39:25 PM PDT
David Seaman says:
Thank you, David. The time you have saved me is a gift you can;t begin to understand. as a victim of guillain-barre syndtrome, every waking moment is precious. What took you a day to manage would have taken me weeks.
dave

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2012 6:53:44 AM PDT
I am a curious person when things do not work and so it not only can save time, but money as well. Sony now is aware of the software bug and hopefully will fix this, but since I found the workaround for them, it made perfect sense to post it in my review. Glad it helped you.

Posted on Apr 21, 2014 12:33:26 PM PDT
Ted O says:
Thanks for the informitive review. I have a few follow up questions if you dont mind.

Did you experence the format issue while using the RCA outputs or the HDMI? And does the 4:3 size stay when you restart the unit?

Thank you!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2014 12:45:54 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 21, 2014 12:49:46 PM PDT
I just switched to a HDTV from LG. It can use the HD format and on DVDs if it is recognized by the software running it, the the DVD plays in Full 1080 p as promised. When I was using a Sony 27" Wega HD Ready, it showed it in Widescreen and looked better, but nowhere as good as the HDTV versions. That's where the above review applies.

If you are having trouble, call Sony and ask them about it. You can even call Amazon and talk with them. Once I identified the bug, I personally had no problems with either setup. What kind of problems are you experiencing?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›