5.0 out of 5 stars To Pushy Mono Fans, September 25, 2009
This review is from: The Beatles (The Original Studio Recordings) (Audio CD)
Okay, I think I hear you loud and clear MONO fans: I am not allowed to enjoy the stereo mixes because they were created by janitors at Abbey Road long after the Beatles left the studio. The Beatles themselves knew nothing of the existence of these stereo mixes. In fact, the Beatles have never even heard the word "stereo" until sometime in 1973. (George Martin, of course, knew about stereo all along but kept it a secret from the Beatles. In fact, he told Geoff Emerick: "you mention stereo around them even once and I will slap you into next week, now go get me some tea.") So, MONO fans, from now on I will listen to these albums only in MONO and I will do so in the purest way possible: facing the speakers (or just one speaker, I guess, why would I need two?), sitting in my chair without slouching, with my eyes closed, thinking only pure MONO thoughts,and chanting to myself: mmmm, crispy,mmmm, punchy. I hope that keeps MONO Police from knocking on my door. Wait, was that a knock? Oh, #^@&....

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 25, 2009 8:39:10 AM PDT
J. Pendris says:
did you fall on your head ?

Posted on Sep 25, 2009 9:52:18 AM PDT
A Pilgrim says:
Thank you! It needed to be said and you made me laugh, which is rarely a bad thing ;0)

Posted on Sep 25, 2009 11:40:24 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 25, 2009 8:47:13 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2009 5:21:04 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 25, 2009 5:23:12 PM PDT

Posted on Sep 25, 2009 5:34:19 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 25, 2009 5:44:17 PM PDT
VERY FUNNY!!!

POOR , BEATLES!!!

The BEATLES' [record company] spent 10s of thousands of Dollars / Pounds over a 4 year period to take 40+ year old tapes and remaster them.

NOT JUST REMASTER THEM , but try to make them sound as " authentic " as possible.

WHY?

I guess it was to piss off so many people off?

I mean , who would want the entire BEATLES' catalog remastered??? What were they thinking??? AND IN GOD AWFUL STEREO...???

Why would PAUL McCARTNEY , even be part of this fraud??? I guess that he doesn't know a lot about music , eh???

NO , SACDs , [MONO?]
NO , re-mixing , [MONO?]
NO , playing of each album in our back yard's by PAUL & RINGO , [MONO?]?

I love ALL of my STEREO CDs , but I have yet to hear any in , MONO.

I guess I am not a true BEATLES fan and I have never really heard , THE BEATLES the way they intended them to be heard.

However , most of THE BEATLES have never heard their CDs remastered , using today's far better remastering technology until , NOW!!!

Who knows??? They might have just changed their minds. Ask PAUL , what he thinks of the STEREO versions???

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2009 6:23:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 25, 2009 6:24:45 PM PDT
Byron says:
Hey---
I mostly prefer the monos but I don't begrudge anyone the right to enjoy the stereo mixes. Those who prefer the stereo versions aren't exactly a niche market. They are the majority.
It's like when the Christian right claims that Christians are a persecuted minority. Sorry, still the majority religion in the U.S.

Posted on Sep 25, 2009 11:17:49 PM PDT
edison says:
I think you're taking it way too hard. Music is a very subjective thing, so no one school of thought is correct. There are a lot of factors between the disc and your ears that affect whether one will find the sound appealing, or appalling.

Some folks with high-end systems and proper listening environments are able to hear more details, and occasional deficiencies, in a particular version of the box set. So they comment on that. If, to the contrary, another version of the box set provides greater listening satisfaction for you, that's perfect. Let people know what you heard and what system you were listening on. That way if a potential buyer matches your situation, they can take your advice.

But I'm just not convinced angry/sarcastic reviews targeting others whose taste differs from yours are truly helping others make a good buying decision. New buyers might click 'Yes' now, but that may become a regret when they receive what turns out to be the wrong product for them later. I'm writing all this more for the benefit of others who are reading this trying to decide which box to purchase. Ultimately, it's a matter of determining what your listening desires are and which package will satisfy that. Hope this helps, someone.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2009 2:29:16 PM PDT
RF says:
I thought the review was funny , so , I was just trying to be funny too.

Posted on Sep 27, 2009 3:44:47 PM PDT
J. Miller says:
Pretty funny stuff, esp. the slouching part. Audiophiles can be kinda hard to take, but you need people at both ends of the spectrum. After all, God is in the details.

Posted on Oct 1, 2009 2:43:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 1, 2009 2:43:11 PM PDT
Thanks for the comic relief, Adam. It really did give me a good laugh. Very well-written!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›