5.0 out of 5 stars Great glasses. Classic. Trendy. And doesn't break the bank completely., October 24, 2010
This review is from: Ray-Ban Aviator Large Metal Sunglasses (Eyewear)
I bought the Ray-Ban RB3025 Aviator Metal Sunglasses 58mm Black G-15 off of my relative the other day (but I would've bought it from Amazon.com anyways).

Are you looking for high quality sunglasses? Buy it.

Are you trying to keep up with the latest trend? Buy it.

Do you want to look good? That's the reason why I bought it. Possibly. Or maybe it was because of the second question.

For those who doesn't understand how the sizing works as I have, the RB3025 aviators has two sizes: 58mm (medium) and 62mm (Willy-Wonka large). And like a TV these days it would get larger by length and width. With the 58mm that I have, I took a ruler and made the following measurements so you get the idea: width (left to right of one lens) 2.5 inches, height (top to longest bottom) 2 inches, sides (front to where it curves for the ear) 4 inches. They also have a smaller version of the aviator (RB3044) at 52mm, but that's if you have a face of a twelve year old I suppose. I think I almost broke one of them from testing that version.

I definitely suggest first checking out your local sun glass store at the mall or outlet so you can test out all the size AND colors that best suits your face and purchase it on Amazon once you made up your mind. I was stuck between black and gold colors for the past three weeks and about six or so sunglass stores.

For a person with a small fat Asian face like me, the 58 was just a tad bit large for my face and my cheeks would push the frame up when I smile. But all can be adjusted at your local glasses store to adjust the nose pads outwards so the frame wouldn't be so close to the face slightly. For someone that has a bigger face, they might need to resort to the 62mm because the temple (length of the sides) is much longer because the other sizes may not reach the ear but can be adjusted by the optometrist.

So save the hassle and try the sizes/colors out first at your local sunglasses shop before buying them here!

The good:
- Build quality. It's surely doesn't feel like cheap metal from $20 glasses, or it could just be me because of how much I put on this. But it's heavier metal overall.
- Glass quality. I chose G-15 because I thought of playing it safe from polarized lenses as it can cause distortions when looking though LCD screens (I would see small rainbows when I tested them at the store with my phone with a white background). But with the G-15 I was able to see clearly still (doesn't make it look like it's night time) and everything seems less over contrasted (less brightness on objects thus making the eyes less strained). Also the lenses seems durable enough to withstand slight scratches like my iPhone 4. With the G-15 lens it appears that it is green when put in front of anything that is white, but anywhere else especially outdoors the lenses would appear black.
- Looks. For any boy or girl, big or small, tall or short it can make anyone look good with it on. I'm sure you'll get compliments left and right. If not, then your friends are just jealous.

The Bad: (if there was any)
- Price. You get what you paid for and paid extra for the premium brand but is worth the investment. It was like switching to Apple and not coming back to any other brand. Plus for the price on Amazon for the Black or Gold frames with G-15 compared to any other stores, the deal here is the best you can get after a month looking through countless shops.
- Fragile. It's thin even though the build appears robust. But I've sat, knelled, and dropped countless glasses before this. But as a responsible person now, take care of it as much as you would take care of your new car.

TIP: Always check for the real thing if you weren't buying it from Amazon.com directly. 1) RB etching on left lens (next to hinge), 2) RB on both nose pads, 3) RB3025 Aviator Large Metal (on the left side of frame), Ray-Ban Made in Italy (on the right side of frame), Ray-Ban 58[]14 (under the first the bridge (between lens)), Ray-Ban logo on the top right (not blocking your view and isn't large). The sticker on the lens when new should say G-15 100% UV protection in gold and the serial number with all the info is on the sticker on the side of the box.

Would I buy this glasses again if I ever break or lose it? I certainly would. If the trend hasn't changed, but I tried some wayfarers and I didn't like how it looks on me. So try them all before you buy! Thanks for reading!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 30, 2011 10:51:16 AM PST
Excellent review!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2011 3:18:10 PM PST
J. Obra says:
Thank you. :]

Posted on Feb 9, 2011 4:12:04 PM PST
All of this review contains excellent detailed information that a careful buyer values. This kind of detailed information -- especially the measurements of the lenses and the opacity and durability of the glass over plastic-- are extremely important items to potential buyers. I take off my hat to this very astute reviewer and thank him for sharing details not many take the time to share.
Robert Burgess

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2011 11:28:12 PM PST
J. Obra says:
Hi Robert,

I really appreciate the nice comment. :] Actually, after even longer use with this glasses I have wanted to update this review and add some more details. Which is still good by the way. :]

Thanks again,
Josh

Posted on Jun 2, 2011 7:17:55 PM PDT
VV says:
Great review! I agree with Robert.

Posted on Nov 12, 2011 8:47:15 AM PST
This reviewer is a great asset, & testimony to Amazons mission of buyer centric reviews. The most helpful talent this writer possesses is the ability to focus on the product details, not oneself!!! I'm now ready to order my first pair of Ray Bans.

Posted on Dec 7, 2011 3:56:28 PM PST
Thank you very much for your review. I wasn't sure even with the measurements you gave what my size was so I just went to a local sunglass store and tried it out. =)

Posted on Jun 18, 2012 8:05:29 AM PDT
Matthew C says:
Where will you go to try out sizes when there is no more brick and mortar store? They have to pay overhead for that privilege, hence the higher prices. Just something to think about. Otherwise good review.

Posted on Jun 27, 2012 11:34:26 AM PDT
C. Carlson says:
Very helpful and mostly accurately detailed review. However- the RB3025 'Large' Aviator actually comes in 3 sizes- 55, 58 & 62. Not all colors come in all 3 sizes though. The RB3044 is the eaxact shape, but smaller and is referred to as the 'Small' Aviator at 52mm. If you want a matching pair for your toddler- There is also the adorably miniature 50mm RJ9506S.
Authorized retailers are under contract with the manufacturer, and cannot price the frames to low without risking that contract. If the pricing seems too good to be true- it might be.

Posted on Aug 18, 2012 12:34:19 PM PDT
Tiffany R. says:
Wow, they should offer "Reviewer of the Week/Month" awards..! Thanks for your awesome review.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.7 out of 5 stars (16 customer reviews)

$139.00 $101.25