5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable, extremely light weight, a joy to slip your feet into, October 26, 2012
This review is from: Merrell Men's Barefoot Bare Access (Apparel)
Length:: 3:28 Mins

The Merrell Bare Access is the second pair of Merrell Barefool Running Shoes that I have purchased. The first pair I bought a few weeks ago was the Merrell Men's Barefoot Trail Glove. I loved those so much that I decided to also try the Bare Access. They are equally as comfortable but not designed for trail running.

I have a size 13 foot, D width. These size 13 Bare Access shoes fit me perfectly. I purchased the Black color variation. The nylon mesh upper just wraps and adapts to your foot with no points of stiffness. The shoe is extremely light in weight. Mine weighed just 6.8 ounces per shoe. The Trail Glove weighs about 8.25 ounces per shoe.

The sole is a two-part deal. A vibram sole is under the ball of your foot and heel strike area while the rest of the sole is a closed cell foam of some sort. It does concern me that the sole is two-part because I have had other shoes with two-part soles that have developed a separation from the sole after some time has passed. There have been a few reports of that happening with this shoe so I'm a little wary and will update my review should I notice anything like that happening. Otherwise the sole is padded enough to give great comfort but thin enough that you get an amazing feeling of what's under your foot.

The width is perfect for me and the slightly padded nylon mesh just wraps my foot in comfort. The lacing system is straight forward, with a tongue loop too keep the tongue in place and prevent it from slipping off to the side. Finally a rear loop assists in getting the shoe on your foot.

You've got to try these on. I had tried the 5-toe shoes and those were just so uncomfortable to me. I disliked the feeling around my toes and those were the most uncomfortable shoes I'd worn. These on the other hand along with the Trail Glove are hands-down the most comfortable and light weight running shoes I've ever tried.

As long as the sole hold up I'll be as happy as I could possibly be. I'll update my review if necessary.

It might be worth mentioning that I found these shoes as a Fashion Outlet type store for $59, so marshall the troops and head on over there ;-)

UPDATE: 1/3/2013 - I've had these for a few months now and there has been no separation of the two differing sole materials. I love these shoes so much I bought another pair just for daily wear, not for running. They're great.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]