5.0 out of 5 stars Great game, great close to the trilogy, September 20, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Gears of War 3 (Video Game)
I've only spent a few short hours with the campaign and some of the Horde 2.0, but so far, this game is turning out to be exactly what Epic and Microsoft promised, an amazing close to a great game series.

Additions to the core campaign most people will like would be 4 player co-op. Always wanted that in the previous games, but the way they were designed it really only felt right with 2 players. This time every mission requires a team of 4, which means real 4 player co-op is possible and quite fun. Playing the campaign alone isn't bad, but as I've read in reviews and agree, it really is meant to be played with real people. Playing with the equivalent of bots allows you to enjoy the game but it won't be as rich of an experience in my opinion.

You still have the cog tag collection hunt, along with the little collectible bits of paperwork strewn throughout the game just as in previous games in the series.

Another cool addition, for those playing co-op, is the arcade mode. In this mode you still play the core campaign but everyone is scored. Depending on amount of kills, rescues and so on you get a score. It doesn't really do much but add a taste of competition to the 2-4 player campaign, but it definitely adds to the fun factor.

Horde 2.0 is a ton of fun. The addition of "buying" emplacements and so on really adds to the depth. For those that love the original Horde from Gears 2 though, the hardcore lovers of the mode, you might be a touch disappointed that it's been changed. For me, it's a change for the better.

There are a ton of other multiplayer modes that I just haven't gotten to yet, but I will update my review when I finally get a chance to play them.

Graphically this game is nothing short of amazing. Unlike previous games in the series there doesn't seem to be any screen tearing in the campaign (EDIT- later in the game there was some minor tearing). I haven't experienced any in the Live modes I've played, but reserve commenting further until I spend more time with it. In the Beta there was screen tearing galore, so I'm hoping they focused on fixing it for release.

Music is Steve Jablonsky (Gears Of War 3 The Soundtrack). If you enjoyed the music in Gears 2, you'll enjoy it here as well. Orchestral, moody and pitch perfect for the scenes in which the music plays. I miss the Gears 2 title screen song, but hey, this is Gears 3 and it needs to be refreshed.

Sound effects and voice work are equally amazing. All the voice actors from the previous games make appearances here as well, including fan favorite Cole. Really high quality work.

Over all the game feels like a truly worthy upgrade to a truly classic series. I'll miss the further adventures of Marcus and gang, assuming we don't really see a sequel or extension (highly unlikely, right). It's like closing a chapter with friends.

Definitely worth $60. I bought the Gears of War 3 Epic Edition and love it, but the game on its own stands tall.

EDIT 9/21/2011 - I've now spent a total of 10 hours in the campaign. This is me playing from Act 1-1 to Act 2-6 on my own, then playing through the same with my 65 yr old father. We were both having a blast with it. We also had a few people join the party and we went through part of Act 2 w/ 4 people. Despite the larger amount of people there were still plenty of Grubs to kill for everyone and still had some challenge to it. With 4 decent player characters though, even hardcore is a touch "easy."

BEAST MODE- this is one awesome addition to the franchise! You and a party of up to 4 other people (5 total) take control of the Locust and get to try and kill as many humans as possible. It uses a money concept similar to the emplacements and weapons in Horde 2.0 (which also feels a lot like the way it works in say, Call of Duty Black Ops zombie bits). You have to purchase your Locust and as you kill more people, you get more money, which enables you to buy better and better Grubs, all the way up to a Berserker, which is awesome! If you only have 30 minutes to play Gears and have some buddies on Live, this is a fast paced, frenetic jump of fun for sure!

NEW WEAPONS- the sawed off shotgun is the weapon of choice for many a multiplayer fan. I'm personally not big on the tactics used w/ the weapon in multiplayer but once you get the hang of it, it makes a decent up close weapon. In the campaign though it's not really a weapon you should be using. You have to get far too close to enemies to kill them, and in the case of the Drudges, you don't want to be near them when they blow up!

Retro Lancer isn't bad. The handling is different, the active reload timing is different and using it like a spear takes getting used to. It seems to be more powerful than the chainsaw Lancer, but they built it to feel like a prototype of the chainsaw version, so they did a good job making it feel like an evolution from the retro to the regular. Good stuff!

The Digger - you fire a projectile towards an enemy, it burrows underground and pops up near the enemy and explodes. It can be pretty devastating if you can get it to hit.

That's all for this edit. Thanks for reading!

EDIT- 9/23/2011

Played more campaign last night. I now have at least 15 hours on the campaign. For those of you that have read the campaign is really only 10-15 hours, I've replayed Act 1-3 w/ my father over Live and we made it to Act 4 last night and watched the story bits every time which is why it is taking so long to finish.

After spending this much time with the campaign, I have to say I continue to be impressed. There is one level that I think will be the best in the game. It's Act 3 Chapter 1, which I won't name as I don't want to give anything away in my review, and it is simply astounding. It was frantic, it was hectic and 100% fun. I actually wanted to jump out and restart the mission when it was over.

And what happens at the end of Act 3 Chapter 6 is unexpected and for me at least, quite emotional. You'll understand when you get there and do yourself a favor, try not to read any spoilers on-line.

I'm hoping to finish the campaign tonight or early this weekend, at which point I'll stop editing my review.

With 15 hours into the game, I can still say that this is definitively the best Gears game of the 3 which is absolutely no small feat. With all the multiplayer modes, all of which are amazing fun and a decently lengthy campaign which can be played w/ up to 3 other people, there should be enough to keep you busy for some time to come. Definitely worth the price.

EDIT 9/24/2011-

Finished the campaign last night with my father. From start to finish I would say the game took 12 hours. This includes us dying, watching cut scenes, listening to dialog and so on. If you buy the game for the single player campaign, you might find this to be a bit too much money for too little time spent, HOWEVER, with the multiple difficulties and the ability to play with arcade scoring on, I'm sure you'll have fun going through at least 3 times, though subsequent play throughs will take less time given you'll skip cut scenes and dialog. So figure 6-9 hours per campaign play through, which means you will get 24-30 hours play time out of it, minimum.

The game is well balanced. There wasn't really any level or any section of the game where myself, nor my father, felt the difficulty spiked unevenly. Given this is Epic, I didn't think this would be an issue and it isn't.

The game is a ton of fun and with all of the multiplayer game types you can probably play this game quite a lot and never find yourself bored.

This will most likely be my last edit. Enjoy the game!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 17, 2011 7:30:02 AM PDT
even though its been said, very very doubtful this is the last one

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 1:49:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 8, 2011 3:34:18 PM PST
Rev Kemper says:
Yes! Thank you for saying all of this! I have been banting back and forth with Genovese about the amazingness of this game. If you want to back up my opinions, please read his post in the one star section!

-EDIT-

He is now DERVISH888

He must be scared very scared to change his profile name....

Posted on Nov 25, 2011 10:13:14 PM PST
Wendetta says:
Thanks for the in depth review... really really wished i owned it right now.

Posted on Dec 5, 2011 6:04:35 PM PST
M. Cann says:
Sad about the whole DLC debacle that was already on the disc, I waited until black friday to snag this game for $40. My husband and I LOVE two player game series that you can play cooperatively on the same screen like: Gears, Halo, and Left for Dead. This is becoming more rare and we are really enjoying our play through. We also love horde mode, and this updated version in Gears 3 is pretty f***ing fantastic, I must say. So the campaign mode is fun, and about the same length (short for my taste) as most games that come out today--but the replay value there is totally there with horde mode. If you have XBOX live that can also be fun, we enjoyed the recent free weekend but it can be hard to get in a game when your level isn't too high. Great review, just wanted to post my own thought about it. (Maybe I should just add my own review, lol.)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2011 4:48:23 AM PST
I'm not sure I'd call having DLC on disc a debacle. I certainly don't feel like I didn't get my money's worth for the game, having paid $60 at launch for it and STILL playing it (whereas I've had other games I played a week and tossed back in the pile). It's nice to not have to download it I suppose. And I also paid for the season pass, so... well, I guess I find it annoying that it was included on disc, but if they were going to charge me for it anyway and it fit on the disc... I don't know. I'm up in the air on this whole thing really.

I like playing w/ my Dad. My only gripe is Insane difficulty. It really is a 4 player game over a 2 player game on Insane, no question. Sure, we could get the achievement by one of us playing casual the other insane, then play through again vice versa but... that's a poopy way to do it IMO, but I'm not sure how else to get it as the final battle is... pretty nasty on Insane.

Glad you like the game! Love it myself. Darn fine close to a darn fine trilogy.

Posted on Dec 7, 2011 2:11:24 AM PST
Great review, I found this game to be pretty kick ass as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2011 1:05:33 PM PST
Shaimun says:
Awesome review man. I also bought the Gears of War triple pack. I still enjoy the first 2 games and this game still amazes me more than the 1st two. Epic really made this game Epic.

Posted on Jan 5, 2012 1:11:45 PM PST
ok, that's enough

Posted on Mar 19, 2012 10:10:07 PM PDT
HunGuy says:
You can be proud of your father. Now I'm playing this with my 11 yo daughter. I hope I'll be that cool at 65.

Posted on Aug 7, 2013 4:27:25 PM PDT
mmmm says:
Can i set it easily in spanish language?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (988 customer reviews)

$19.99 $11.78
Reviewer

Stephen Lerch
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Top Reviewer Ranking: 129