Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

5.0 out of 5 stars Another amazing wireless product from ASUS, November 7, 2011
This review is from: Asus Dual Band (2.4GHz 300Mbps/5GHz 300Mbps) Wireless-N USB Adapter with Graphical Easy Interface (USB-N53) (Personal Computers)
I recently got this wireless adapter to go with my new ASUS wireless router (also awesome). This adapter is replacing a top of the line Netgear adapter. Performance difference is staggering! Lower latency, higher bandwidth at the same distance. The software AP feature is neat I guess. There are free programs to accomplish the same, but I think this is the first time it has been integrated into the adapter software by the manufacturer. I imagine that the improved antenna design in this adapter would make it a solid candidate for being used as a software AP. The adapter software itself...I'm not a big fan. It is very pretty and functional and all. I'm just a bit more minimalistic. Personal preference, nothing wrong with the software. All in all, I'm very happy and ASUS is regaining my trust (a bout of bad motherboards turned me off a while back). The company's recent moves in sound cards (DX2) and wireless (this adapter and the N56U router) are making me consider trying more of their hardware again.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 28, 2011 2:27:13 PM PST
Will this function as a wireless access point if plugged in to a *wired* host computer?

Our heavy-handed and cheap IT department won't provide us WiFi, so I'd like to plug something like this in to a networked desktop PC (wired) and use this adapter (or something like it) to be a WiFi access point for our office, mainly for cell phones to connect to.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2012 1:10:44 PM PST
Chiyonosake says:
Really need to check with your IT department, it's not just about not providing wifi, it's about where the money comes from to provide that wifi. Also security issues arise from having wifi.

Getting this adapter and setting it as an AP plugged into your system, you're putting yourself and your company at risk by creating a rogue AP. This can lead to not only information being stolen, but also putting your job at risk.

FYI: I work for IT. I am also CCNA Certified, and most importantly in this subject, Security + Certified. Working on my wireless cert next. =)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2012 12:26:14 PM PST
That is the referenced SoftAP feature. For a while, I actually used this as my wireless router for my house (was waiting on my new router). The only thing to keep in mind is that latency will increase, but since this would be mainly for cell phones, probably not much of an issue.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 1:27:03 AM PST
CaligulaVamp says:
can I plug this to my video game console so I can get a better wifi signal?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 3:30:31 AM PST
I can't think of any consoles that support it. For a console with ethernet support, ASUS has something more tailored for consoles. ASUS EA-N66 would be the one to look at. Other companies have similar products for consoles, too. Hope this helps :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 11:24:42 PM PST
CaligulaVamp says:
I have 3 consoles ( 2 PS3 & 1 XBOX )do I have to buy 3 of these adapters then?how many of then I can sync to my RT-AC66U router?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 4:40:11 AM PST
If your goal is max range from the router, then yes, you'd want to get 1 for each, or you could get another router and set it up as a repeater. You can sync tons of wireless clients to a single router.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 7:54:30 PM PST
CaligulaVamp says:
Thanks man I really appreciate it.

Posted on Mar 22, 2013 5:16:47 AM PDT
Will this work to replace a built-in wireless card in a laptop? I'm having issues with the wi-fi card in my laptop and might purchase this if it will work. I own a new ASUS router, so that should not be an issue.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2013 6:59:06 AM PDT
Technically, it can't replace the internal card (it wouldn't fit, lol). It would very easily replace the need/functionality of the internal card. As a matter of fact, I have a friend who uses one of these instead of his laptop internal wireless :)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›