3.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected., March 9, 2013
This review is from: V/H/S [DVD] (DVD)
First off, let me say, I am not a fan of hand held first person POV movies. It started off with the Blair Witch Project, and I have hated films like it ever since. But something about the trailer to this one looked interesting, and I'm glad I didn't turn my nose up at this one now. V/H/S starts off with the POV cam type of thing where a few guys are smashing things up, and preying on women by ganging up on her and forcing her to allow them to expose her body on cam. I think it was something about them getting paid to do that for money to sell it to internet site perverts and sickos, or something about that. I have a feeling this might be why so many reviews here are for 1 star, because at this point of the movie I was ready to turn it off too and dismiss this as being a POS if this was what the movie was going to be about.

Luckily I held in there and got past that crap, and the story gets better as these guys are asked to break into a house somewhere and steal a VHS tape. These idiots record themselves doing this, but that's when this thing starts to get better. As a couple of the guys explore this house looking for a specific tape, another one is left to view what tapes have been left around to try and figure out which tape it is this person who has asked for it wants.

One by one they start watching a tape left in this house, and it then shows the footage of what is on the tapes. Each tape is something different, that is horrific, weird and paranormal. It's kind of like little short horror movies, each being different, but each being shot from a hand held camera, or vacation type of video.

It ranges from a couple of voyeurs who try to expose the wrong girl, to a couple on vacation who probably should have given a kid a ride, next is a Blair Witch knock off of a killer who can't be filmed for some reason, to a haunted house where something strange is happening upstairs. I think there was more?

Overall, by the end of the film, I thought it was a pretty decent movie. It didn't try to claim the footage was supposedly real, so I went in without that seed of wanting to roll my eyes at everything and say "who are these filmmakers trying to kid?" but surprisingly I'm saying the opposite to what I often think of a lot of movies, and that is the first half of this movie is not so great, but the second half picks up and really goes full steam ahead with some decent short stories.

the end scene is a bit of a let down, as it pretty much had the same ending as Blair Witch, which by the way, did I mention I fricken hate that #1 over-hyped P.O.S? Or does #1 go to Paranormal Activity? Hmmm... hard choice. So by saying that, if you too hated those movies, and these Cloverfield kind of shot films, then take my word and just give this one a go. Maybe skip the first 10 minutes or so, it's useless footage if you ask me, but once the ball starts rolling, you might be like me and actually find that there is a lot more here then just an attempt at a cheaply made movie. I don't think this one was as cheap as some people might think?

Actually, I think I know what it is that makes me like this more than the other ones I mentioned now... it's probably because it actually shows things, whether it be by SFX, CGI or camera tricks, at least they show you kills, ghosts, and decent FX shots. Unlike Blair Witch or P.A movies where you expect to see something, and there is nothing there to see but someone being thrown across the screen on wires and you are expected to be scared simply by noise effects and screaming. This one shows the lot, and is an enjoyable ride to the end.

Give a rent or DL at least before dismissing it as just another cheap attempt at low budget horror.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]