5.0 out of 5 stars I love this "smart" blu-ray player! VUDU 3D here I come..., May 9, 2012
This review is from: Samsung BD-E5900 3D WiFi Blu-ray Disc Player (Black) (Electronics)
What is the point of having a 3D TV if the only way to watch 3D is to BUY the movie (can't rent them either). Not a fan of buying a bunch of dvd's. We had a Panasonic 3D blu-ray player that came with the Panasonic 3D TV, but found that none of the movie streaming apps on the device would stream 3D! Unless your cable/satellite provider has it so you can use "their" VOD from their box, you are left to buy the movie.

Apparently VUDU is the only "app" that is really streaming in 3D right now, but Panasonic after more than a year has never rolled out the update to allow VUDU to stream 3D on its device, even tho VUDU has been capable of it the whole time.

I found all this out when I called VUDU to ask why I couldn't find any 3D movies in their "3D movie" lists. So I asked them what devices did have it and they gave me a list of devices that had gotten the necessary updates, and the newer devices that are shipping already capable. I found this one on Amazon much cheaper than retail and I LOVE IT!

The "smart" aspect is totally awesome! This player can not only stream 3D from VUDU, but has built in wifi (no adapters needed!) which is more than capable of handling a streaming 3D movie. The other apps are plentiful and varied. The only one it doesn't have is..wait for it... Amazon VOD...go figure. But my TV does that so I am ok there (got rid of Netflix when I found out about Amazon's streaming and it's cheaper, too.

The only thing that does irk me about the player is that for all it does and all the video stuff you could ever find on the internet is this: IT DOES NOT HAVE A KEYBOARD REMOTE! using the remote to search is a PAIN. There is an app that Samsung put on the market that is a wireless like remote, but it too does not have a KEYBOARD..

BTW...some of the other apps that will come on it are HBOGO (you must have it with your cable co) and PlayOn..
With PlayOn (subscription) you have access to lots of cool channels like regular Hulu (not +), ESPN3 and more.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 29, 2012 1:55:09 PM PDT
How do I get the HBO Go Apt? I just purchased this DVD and is not listed- I have HBO and HBO GO but can't find how to access this from this disk player.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 7:58:36 AM PDT
Sorry about that, I got mixed up between the tv and the blue ray. I have the 32" Samsung SmartTV and their SmartTV Blue-Ray player, but in different rooms. It seems as though the player does not have all of the same capabilities/apps as the TV.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 9:53:58 AM PDT
Hi,

No problem, I was thinking about getting Nexflix as well so I did, and in this case it does have the app which is working fine. It also has the MLB app so after March I should be able to finally watch my baseball games on my BIG TV. I do believe they will have the HBOGo and Amazon apps pretty soon-

Reg
Jose

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 10:06:29 AM PDT
I know..every time I go to start the smart hub it starts another update! It is almost annoying. So they are really working on it.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.5 out of 5 stars (345 customer reviews)

$149.99 $139.95