5.0 out of 5 stars Very Enjoyable Dynamic Stealth Assassination Game, October 15, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Dishonored Greatest Hits - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
Gamers will recognize structural elements from Bioshock, which, to my mind, is a very good thing. Here, however, the stealth mechanics work flawlessly, and your magical abilities aren't simply various weapons. Rather, the mechanics allow you to teleport short distances, see through walls (a la Batman, Deus Ex, Assassin's Creed, etc) and inhabit animals and other humans. Not only are these mechanics just cool, they allow you to attack objectives in a multiplicity of ways. DISHONORED is thus a game that can sustain at least a few play throughs.

TIPS:
Get Dark Vision Immediately.
Then Upgrade Blink to level 2.
Then upgrade Agility to 1, as your ability to jump higher will enable higher blinks. Agility 2 is useless.
Then get Bend time. Then STOP time. Stop time costs 8 runes, and it's worth it--especially when you want to kill Tall Boys.

My only gripe would be that the game seems to punish you for being what you are--an assassin-- as killing just a moderate amount of people (in video game reality, obviously) leads to the "dark" ending. To that I ask, who hired the Church Lady as a designer on this thing? I did my best to spare non-combatants, yet the game still seems to take a dim view of killing. And I won't give anything away, but the "dark" ending is not satisfying. I was hoping for at least something bittersweet, like the end of The Searchers.

There's also no barometer to give you real-time data on how much "chaos" you're creating. However, you do get your stats at the end of a mission. So if you're going for the no-kill play through, you ca re-do that mission if you accidentally killed someone. (Unlike Deus Ex, which kept you guessing until the end--Lame.)

It would be good to have some "chaos" gradations in this game. Therefore, you could have a play through with

1. a normal ending (you killed a lot of guys because you're a badasss and they got in your way) but spared civilians, knocked out people when you could and weren't a complete psycho),
2. an ending where you were one of the Super Friends (you killed very few people).
3. a REALLY twisted ending where you played through as a complete homicidal maniac--killing everyone and their pets without compunction and without mercy and often without reason except because there's something wrong with you.

However, I simply played how I wanted--with a fairly strict scorched Earth policy--and watched the "happy" ending on YouTube. Maybe I'll do a no-kill play through at some later point.

But this is pretty nit-picky. Playing the game is really fun. I'm just a little irritated by the end (if you didn't get that).

In conclusion, if you dig first person stealth action games with broad (though not strictly open) worlds, buy this game. It's great.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 16, 2012 2:04:33 PM PDT

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 3:09:31 PM PST
Corey S. says:
Thanks for the conscious review. I feel you on the Church Lady thing :-) Wonder why they didn't make the dark ending more satisfying. Otherwise it sounds like a lot of fun.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 3:10:43 PM PST
P. Taegel says:
Absolutely. If I didn't emphasize it enough, the game is REALLY fun.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 7:07:29 AM PST
Very helpful review, but I think ill pass on the game, at least until it drops in price. BTW I don't remember you being able to see through walls in AC! ;p maybe in ac3? as to which I have yet to play. Have a good thanksgiving!

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 10:43:53 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 11:07:00 AM PST
KF says:
I know exactly what you mean about the church lady thing. Bethesda does a lot of whorin' an' killin', and I think after a while even they get sick of it. They only give you objectives that are [cheat somebody, kill somebody, worship Ba'al, betray a "friend", lie 'n' fornicate-oh and since I'm female often with-ew-the same sex] or you can't get anywhere with the game. If you pursue the darkly evil path, it lacks irony or satisfaction (which is exactly what I'm looking for in a well-crafted villain). If you pursue the straight arrow way, you feel like you've been had, missed a lot, and morphed into Pollyanna. I honestly passed this Bethesda game by simply because Skyrim was just like Fallout (though it was nice to see that not every scene included mounds of garbage) in the way that -same same same every "mission" was the same. After the upteenthousandth time of going into a cave where exactly the same villains pop up (with some very good exceptions, I'll admit that I didn't exactly REGRET buying it) and spending hours pursuing an objective that didn't thrill me, I'd get real sick of it. It also sounds like they're trying to imitate Bioshock, and that's a hard act to follow-especially since Bethesda's sense of style is usually sorely lacking. They can do one or two or even a handful of scenes that really look like a sweeping Nordic landscape, but there's too much of the southern-Marylander in them to be able to carry it off convincingly for too long. A lot of scenes look too sunny, wood surfaces look too cartoonish, and instead of pretty, it looks Disneyland-contrived... If I rent this game, it will be if they carried off a sense of style (does it have a jazzy/bluesy or NYC or convincing art deco look? the pics look promising, but aren't phenonmally creative) and if they fixed those annoying freezing or trapped-in-rocks/debris bugs I hate. Also, how's the gameplay? Is it floppy, like just about every other Bethesda game, or can you play...fast? Yeah, I'm picky. I said I would only rent it because I'm not spending the cash or too much time on a game where the package has yet another hooded figure on it, (suggesting another game where the characters are completely armored like firefighters) and the in game pics they post here show enemies driving Star Wars-looking walker thingies. With the technologies they have, and the artists they have working for them, they can do better. But anyway, I'm still curious, and I'm wondering what you all think about these qualities in this game. Are they there? Did they improve? I'm rather jonesing for a new good game...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 11:09:01 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 11:10:31 PM PST
P. Taegel says:
"If you pursue the darkly evil path, it lacks irony or satisfaction (which is exactly what I'm looking for in a well-crafted villain). If you pursue the straight arrow way, you feel like you've been had, missed a lot, and morphed into Pollyanna."

Well stated. That is exactly my gripe with this game. There is no ambivalence or irony with either ending. Why not create endings that will appeal to different people for different reasons--endings that players might even have some debate over? Though I suspect I am in the minority regarding the importance I place on story.

HOWEVER, and this is a big however (hence the capitalization), Dishonored is immensely fun to play. In fact, it's perhaps my favorite game to come out this year. I went through a second time on a "low chaos" pass, and it was quite a bit more challenging and even more fun. I also enjoyed the fact that there's a lot you can skip (side missions and such) if you choose to do so on a second pass. So it didn't feel tedious. HINT: Once you get STOP TIME and the high jumping upgrade, you can stop time and jump up and stab the tallboys very quickly and easily. Otherwise, they are difficult to kill.

Thanks for your response.

Posted on May 11, 2013 1:18:16 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 24, 2013 6:05:58 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2013 1:24:57 PM PDT
P. Taegel says:
Remains my favorite release of the last 12 mos. Though Bioshock and Far Cry 3 were pretty great too.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2013 11:54:41 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 15, 2013 11:55:09 AM PDT
Kendahl says:
Great game. Agree with the review. Started with a no kill/ghost playthrough and am lamenting that I can't use some of the cool weapons, like the incendiary bolts or the spring razors (which are hella cool). But I'll play it again and pick up all the kill trophies. It's worth it. There is one trophy that won't let you upgrade any abilities. How stupid is that... So three playthroughs to get the platinum and the third will be boring as hell.

Posted on Jan 28, 2014 11:17:48 AM PST
Privateer says:
Is Corvo really an assassin though? He was the Lord Protector, unseated and framed by assassins. He has a goal, to end the illegitimate reign of the Lord Regent. It can be done by killing everyone, but it doesn't have to be done by killing everyone. I find it is more challenging to try to achieve the game goals with minimum casualties. To just go through and kill anyone in the way is easy to the point of boredom.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (411 customer reviews)

$19.99 $14.99