5.0 out of 5 stars Great mid price receiver, April 29, 2009
This review is from: Onkyo TX-SR607 7.2-Channel A/V Surround Home Theater Receiver (Black) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
My previous receiver was a 9 year old Sherwood. It was a little above a low end unit. It started buzzing and I decided it was time for a replacement. I have 2 nice Wharfdale floor speakers, a nice center, decent rear surrounds and 2 really decent sub woofers.

I read extensive reviews on several brands and decided that I would purchas Onkyo. I went to Fry's looking for the 606 model. They were sold out and just received the 607. I purchased the 607.

I wanted something HDMI based that allowed audio through the HDMI cables. The thing was a snap to set up. Make sure to run an HDMI cable to your TV from the receiver so that you can do on screen programming.

As I said, I have 2 sub woofers and the 607 has two output RCA jacks to enable 2 subs. No more RCA splitters. I fired the thing up and was shocked at the sound quality. The thing sparkles and the lows are clean and deep. I adjusted the individual speaker levels with a Radio Shack db meter on an easy to use Onkyo menu. I did not use the calibration system built into the receiver. A few trips through the menus and you have them mastered. The menu system is REALLY SIMPLE.

Unless you have some REALLY expensive speakers, this is the unit for you. Great sound quality, simple setup and easy menus make this a good choice for the novice or mid range home theater enthusiast.

I highly recommend the unit.

UPDATE: I purchased two Klipsch Fortes to replace my Wharfdales. Now is see that this receiver REALLY rocks.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 30, 2009 7:00:51 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 30, 2009 7:01:14 AM PDT
jp_tech says:
Finally a review. Thanks for posting up the review. I have been waiting to hear what people think of this new unit before I purchase.

Did you try the PLIIz setting (if you have 2 extra speakers)? There was also people that complained about buzzing with the 606 through a PS3. Do you have a PS3 hooked up? If so, any buzzing?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2009 10:30:32 AM PDT
I got my 607 a couple days ago and had a chance to watch some blu-rays through my ps3, and I didn't notice any buzzing. There was barely audible 'click' that happened when it switched from playback back to the menu, but that's kind of to be expected because the audio stream changed, but that's going to happen regardless of the source.

Posted on May 1, 2009 5:06:06 AM PDT
E. Johnson says:
This question is really for anyone that has purchased the TX-SR607. I am just curious what type of clearance you have. Is it installed in a bookcase? Is it less than the recommended clearance of 8" on sides and top and 4" in back? If so do you notice any overheating?

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2009 6:47:46 AM PDT
Steve Cohan says:
I do not have a PS3.

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2009 6:53:08 AM PDT
Steve Cohan says:
The unit sits on the end of a Copenhagen stereo/tv floor unit that is 6 feet wide. There is a glass tv shelf about 4 inches above the unit, another component without clearance on the left while the back and right sides are completely open. It runs fairly warm. What receiver doesn't?

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2009 3:58:49 PM PDT
ultrabike says:
Onkyos (SR607 is no exception) do get hotter than most other receiver brands. Mid-level Yamahas don't get as hot, but the latest ones are not as impressive as far as sound performance as the as of late hard to get 663. Not sure about Marantz, Denon, and HK.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2009 8:04:25 AM PDT
It does run hot, but never so hot that I can't keep my hand on it. I'm running it on top of a shelf, so it's completely open on all sides, so I can't really speak for overheating.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2009 5:17:02 PM PDT
ultrabike says:
Yes, it seems that if you are going to install this receiver in a location with some clearance (say 6 to 8 inches) or on an open space then there should be no problems. But if you are going to install this inside a cabinet with barely 1 or 2 inches of clearance, you may run into problems. I know the SR607 gets almost as hot as the SR606 by touching them, but have not seen anyone measure the temperature. However the SR606 has been measured to go as high as 135 degrees which would be unpleasant to the touch.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2009 1:51:12 PM PDT
A. L. says:
Man, when is Amazon going to get competitive with their pricing on this thing. Newegg has the silver one for $400, 6 Ave had them for $374 after coupon, and J&R was price matching that over the phone.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2009 6:33:41 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 18, 2009 6:36:02 AM PDT
jp_tech says:
Why don't you just buy from those other places then? I did.

BTW, the price on the Silver one at NewEgg was only good for like a day. It went right back up to 494.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›