The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
2.0 out of 5 stars "Guest" 2.4 ghz SSID clients are able to access 5ghz clients, inappropriately. ;-(, February 24, 2012
This review is from: Asus Dual Band Wireless-N 600 SOHO Router, Fast Ethernet, 8 Guest SSID, Parental Access Time Control (RT-N53) (Personal Computers)
So I got this RT N-53 router becuase 1) I like ASUS products, generally and 2) I wanted to be able to share WIFI with my neighbors, securely. I paid a premium price for what has so far been a frustrating product.

So far, I have been disapointed because the major selling point of this router is the ability to create separate "GUEST" SSIDs on the 2.4 Ghz band. This is true, but the problem is that those guest SSIDS are only separate from other 2.4 ghz band SSIDs, NOT from the 5ghz band. Asus offers no phone technical support, as far as I can tell, and their online support forum registration process did not work for me. (also, their support forum search feature does not work, so there is no easy way to see if someone else has solved this problem) In my opinion, poor access to technical support is a major flaw, one that will impact future purchases.

Here is my setup, using the latest (as of feb 2012) 1.1.1.40 firmware
I have set up 3 wireless Networks on my RTN53:

A 2.4 Ghz SSID: "HOME 2.4" network
A 5 Ghz SSID: "HOME 5" network
A guest 2.4Ghz SSID: "GUEST" network

All are set up with wpa auto encryption, and the "GUEST" ssid is set to have internet but not LAN access. All devices can access the internet without problems.

"GUEST" connected devices are prevented from accessing devices on "HOME 2.4". This is as it should be. The Problem is that "GUEST" devices are able to access all devices on the "HOME 5" network. They can ping, can see my shares, and can download music from devices on the "HOME 5" 5ghz network, even though they are supposed to just have *internet* access.

Obviously this is a major security hole. Now I have to choose between using an INSECURE, but fast 5ghz connection, or a slower but less vulnerable 2.4 connection.

To summarize: when the major selling point of the device is secure VLANs on multiple SSIDs, it is absurd that this problem exists.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Mar 26, 2012 11:09:33 AM PDT
Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We have fixed this issue and will have a firmware available shortly. If you have further concerns or feedback, please let us know at Networking_Support@asus.com.

Best Regards,

Asus Networking Support

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
A comment by the manufacturer   (What's this?)
Initial post: Mar 26, 2012 11:09:33 AM PDT

Asus Networking Support

Posted on Apr 17, 2012 11:26:04 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 17, 2012 11:26:36 AM PDT
Terry Phan says:
Asus website just post another firmware update :ASUS RT-N53 Firmware Version 1.1.1.1.52 on 04/11/2012. I have not download to test it, but hopefully it fixes the problem with inappropriate acess from 5GHz guest network. I will post a follow up once I test the firmware

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2012 9:19:53 PM PDT
Dude says:
Did this fix the security hole you found? I am curious because I also own the router and have updated to the latest firmware, but don't have a PC that uses 5ghz to connect.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2012 10:44:22 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 2, 2012 10:46:46 PM PDT
Tech Dude says:
Seems like they did, I submitted a question to Asus via the "eSupport Case Subbmittal Form" link at http://vip.asus.com/eservice/usa_techserv.aspx and per reply from William Haworth in Asus Wireless Dept (812-282-2787), the issue is resolved. From the firmware downloads at http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=RT-N53, it seems to be as of Version 3.0.0.4.132 (2012.05.29 update), item 1 (Fix guest network in AP mode issue).

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2012 5:44:21 PM PDT
Dude says:
Have you tested this firmware yet? I didn't have much luck with it.

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 1:56:12 PM PDT
Jim says:
Not sure I could trust a company with such an obvious bug. They don't test??

Posted on Nov 23, 2012 12:31:12 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 23, 2012 12:33:31 PM PST
White Lotus says:
Reviewer says he paid a premium price for the product. For a wireless router of this ilk I would consider $140 or more to be a premium price (think Apple pricing) and I can't find any vendor selling this router for anywhere close to $140.

Today this router is $57.99, far from a premium price, in fact that's in the bargain bin as far as pricing goes for an N600 wireless router.

Posted on Apr 25, 2013 10:17:53 AM PDT
T. Marshall says:
I have always found Asus support to be fantastic, and if they've fixed this bug, and the router is at this price point, the review should be better.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›