Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services gotS5 gotS5 gotS5  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation STEM Toys & Games

5.0 out of 5 stars I Actually bought one (Unlike some people) and I love it!, September 10, 2008
This review is from: Apple iPod classic 120 GB Black 7th Generation (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
I am a big tech nerd, and although I am a little disappointed that apple will be paying less attention to the classic ipod I bought one, and I really enjoy It!

I previously had a 30GB Video Ipod and It lasted me about 3 years. Its being repaired for a new battery now, but I figured I would upgrade since my library had grown.

Not much has changed to these new ones, except the interface a little. I love genius and I am stoked that it was worked into the functionality. It remains about the same size as my 5th generation? video and so still fits my old rubber case (which is nice).

Probably the best thing about it is, doing a comparison between my roommates 30GB ipod video and this one, I find that the audio quality on this one has improved quite a bit. I don't know if its the connectors or maybe a d-a converter, but it definitely sounds better. I am a recording engineer so I might be a little more apt to hear it, but its cool.

Overall I am stoked about my new ipod. Its a great device! I will be sad to see apple move on to more of a multi-tool type device, but that doesn't sway my review on this one. Enjoy!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 10, 2008 5:52:08 PM PDT
Steven says:
nice review
i just orderd one today should get it in 9 - 10 days

Posted on Sep 14, 2008 6:55:01 AM PDT
mofat says:
When you say "audio quality...improved quite a bit" what do you mean? It's warmer? It's crisper? Its bass shakes downtown L.A.?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2008 2:25:26 PM PDT
it's a little cleaner. A little more head-room so you don't have the slight "distortion" that you had at the loudest volume of my previous one.

Posted on Sep 16, 2008 5:44:58 AM PDT
N.. Martin says:
A "tech nerd," but you don't use higher-quality Apple Loss or AIFF files? It is a disgrace that Apple doesn't allow people who use Lossless with their home systems to automatically downconvert those files when they are loaded onto an iPod. It can be done with a Shuffle, so why not with Nanos and the Classic? That, along with the reduction in storage space, make the new Classic a disappointment for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2008 2:04:03 PM PDT
no, because on an ipod it doesn't matter anyway. The ipod hardware automatically limits the audio quality of the files you are dealing with (not that it's terrible, but it wouldn't matter if you had lossless aif files on your ipod). I have my cd's and files at home on my computer. Use your computer to make smart playlists. It's not apples job to consolidate your library for you. There are programs that do that outside of itunes and an ipod. I don't keep all my files on my computer because frankly, not everything in my library is worth listening to in lossless, not to mention I would need about 4 terabytes just to fit all my music uncompressed on my computer.

If i need high fidelity, I don't mind popping my cd's in, and even then i prefer to use my sacd player.

Nicolas, get something else to complain about. You don't own one, it is a great product made for a specific (if limited) purpose.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2008 10:25:33 PM PDT
Yes martin, tech nerds and even other kinds of people realize that a portable media player, i.e. an ipod, was designed to play compressed files due to limitations of the hardware storage capacity. I was pumped and still own my 3G 20GB iPod and now with 120 GB; that is a very respectable amount of storage IMO.

Eventhough I like apple's included earbuds, this is just the first in a longer list of factors (environmental noise, DA converters, codecs, your attention to your surroundings...) that degrade the music quality beyond being able to appreciate the difference between ALE and a properly encoded mp3 on your iPod.

Not to mention the incredible compression you can achieve for audio books ~25:1, and I would take the pepsi challenge with any audio file (probably not including yourself) to tell the difference between a properly encoded mp3 vs ALE vs the orignal .wav file on an iPod.

I'll take my ubiquitous lame 3.98 V2 mp3 encoded music files and V6 encoded audio books ripped with EAC any day over my old cassette tapes or your DRM protected .m4a files thank you very much.

And its Apple Lossless Encoder ALE not Apple Loss -> DA.
And by the way you are now allowed to put Apples's lossless .m4a files on your iPod if you want to, but why would you? You can't hear the difference and with DRM you can't even share them with your friends.
And why would you think downconverting a lossless file would be the best way to put music on your iPod? Lossless is still compression (not arguing the quality, its very good) so now your going to "downconvert" one form of compression to another literally guaranteeing a worse final product (and I thought you were an audiophile with your apple loss...) Put the Apple Pipe down, you don't even have to be a nerd to realize that "downconverting" is not the best way to go.

It soulds like you have probably chosen the wrong file format(s) to standardize on. You may have chosen ALE or AIFF from a purist perspective which is admirable, but you have a file format that is not portable friendly. And just because iTunes may not "downconvert" your music for you doesn't mean other software can't. I don't believe I'm going to let Apple allow me to do something or not and neither should anyone else.

iPods are great and this "Classic" is a great improvement.
Allowing yourself to be brainwashed by Apple - not so great.

P.S. it's what's in the music that counts

Posted on Oct 5, 2008 7:57:16 AM PDT
That's the first good review I found combing through pages of petty complaints and apple-bashing. It's refreshing to find someone who appreciates the finer details. I just grabbed a 16 GB Nano (in addition to my 30GB iPod Video) and now I'm curious how the sound will compare. Maybe I should go for the Classic, instead. I like the tiny size of the Nano, but the sound is more important. Whatever the case, thanks for the review!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2008 7:03:50 PM PST
Sammy says:

Posted on Jun 9, 2009 11:54:33 AM PDT
Chris G. says:
Nice review. Dumb title. I think most people bought their own. I sure did, anyways.

Posted on Feb 25, 2014 6:04:58 AM PST
Nice review man.. I know what you mean thou, i miss my old nano!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›