Thank you for the warning! I'm with you, just because something is supposedly non-toxic doesn't mean it should be ingested!
I'm actually browsing through baby toys looking for fun things for my three rabbits to play with. Naturally, they'll be grabbing things with their teeth. Baby toys should - in theory - be safe for rabbits (as long as the plastic isn't too soft/easily chewed up by a bunn) since babies put *everything* in their mouths and parents of young children are as concerned about choking hazards as I am about my rabbits being able to potentially swallow something that would cause a blockage. I don't want my bunnies getting any sort of paint/dye/coloring in their mouths, and no parent wants their child to do so either.
The fact that it only comes off when wet (from the sounds of it) is hardly reassuring - babies drool, young children play with some of their toys in the bath tub and toys need to be cleaned/disinfected when you get them and periodically afterward for safety reasons - you can't assume a toddler toy won't be exposed to water!
Ridiculous. It's like they don't even do any sort of safety/quality testing... or if they do, they clearly disregard the results.