2,226 of 2,309 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars For those that REALLY care, it's not worth the money., August 28, 2010
This review is from: Kindle Lighted Leather Cover, Black (Fits Kindle Keyboard) (Accessory)
I've been an avid Kindle user since Kindle 1, and I take my lights VERY seriously.

The problem is that the new Kindle 3 cover+light does not evenly light the screen. This results in a very bright top right corner, including the top right of the frame of the Kindle 3. And while the light doesn't glare off the screen, it does glare off my graphite Kindle 3's top right corner, making for constant distraction while reading. The light then gets fainter and fainter in a diagonal line from the top right to bottom left. It's not very fun, unfortunately.

Now, for convenience, this new cover is fantastic. I have the non-lighted one and the one with the light, and the weight difference isn't very much, and the bulk difference is truly negligible, so kudos to Amazon for this.

That said, I simply cannot recommend this cover unless you don't mind an incredibly uneven light. I will stick to my Mighty Bright. Yes, it's an addition to the Kindle, but I know that when I sit down to read, I want the pages to "disappear" as I become immersed in my reading. It's very hard for them to do so when the light is so incredibly awkward and uneven, constantly distracting. I'm happy to spend a few extra seconds clipping my light to the back of my Kindle so I can spend hours enjoying my book. That simply wasn't possible with the Kindle Lighted Leather Cover.

3 stars out of 5.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 14 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 100 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 28, 2010 2:48:40 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 28, 2010 2:56:53 PM PDT
I agree.
I have posted on my blog:
A note on the lighted cover. It's really nice physically. And the light is very good for the small size and the small battery usage (LED lights). And it's a good solution if you like to read, but others in the room want it dark.
But the light, obviously, is quite uneven, and I find the lower third of the page much harder to read than the top. So I wouldn't use it if I have good light available.

Update:
I would say though, that if you're getting the case anyway, consider the one with the light. OK, it's twenty-five bucks more, but hardly more bulk or weight, and if you need it occasionally, it's great.

These leather cases though, double the size and weight of the tiny Kindle, so if you appreciate super-light-weight use and travel... maybe make a cover out of bubble wrap. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2010 2:51:06 PM PDT
Thanks for the comments. I'm saddened that the light is so uneven as I wanted to love the new case. For me, though, it well worth spending a few extra seconds getting my Mighty Bright situated, and then I can *really* enjoy reading in less-than-idea light. With the Kindle cover/light, I spent the entire time being distracted by the outrageously uneven light. Oh well. :(

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2010 5:30:46 PM PDT
betonit says:
I am debating getting one... but am confused as most of the reviewers say the light is very good and even... if I need to buy a light, I rather buy the cover made by Oberon- but was leaning to this one because of the light- now I don't know what to do.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2010 5:33:57 PM PDT
Eolake says:
It's definitely not even. Even just geometrics will tell you, because light weakens by the square of the distance.

Posted on Aug 28, 2010 5:41:19 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 28, 2010 5:46:59 PM PDT
T. L. Bruzek says:
Even with a clip on light the part right under the light itself will be brightest and there will be fade as you go. I have a mighty brite as well.

With Amazons great return policy the best thing is to order it and try, you can always send it back. You also have to weigh no batteries versus some fade and keeping track of a light.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2010 5:47:37 PM PDT
Eolake says:
This is true, but if you have a greater distance overall, the difference in brightness of the page will be less. This light is of course very close to the page and corner, so the fade-off is great.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2010 6:13:13 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 28, 2010 6:13:59 PM PDT
Exactly it. With the Mighty Bright you can easily angle the light so that you get a MOSTLY even light across the whole page, and where it does very slightly fade toward the bottom, it does so from left to right, evenly. With the Kindle lighted case, the light is very bright at the top right, and then fades, considerably, diagonally from top right to bottom left. It's very distracting.

Posted on Aug 28, 2010 6:56:24 PM PDT
M. Tedesco says:
I get the uneven part, but I REALLY DO CARE about the lighting on my screen and do feel that this one is fine. It's not like it goes from light to dark. It's just not as bright in the lower part for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2010 6:57:59 PM PDT
Well, if you care, then perhaps you don't care as much as other people? Which is fair enough. :-) You're not "wrong." Enjoy the case! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2010 1:38:34 AM PDT
Eolake says:
M. Tedesco, that is good to hear. Then many will surely like it.
Different people are different to different things. I'm very sensitive to noise around me, some are not.

BTW, for me it's not so much the fact of the unevenness, it's that the lower third is actually a bit hard for me to read. Related to eyes, I guess.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (4,627 customer reviews)
 (2,991)