5.0 out of 5 stars Loving the PanDigital, May 20, 2011
I am loving my PanDigital Remanufactured unit. I originally bought this with another eReader (around $120) in order to compare them side-by-side. I am an educator and need some web-enabled devices for the classroom that's portable and easy to use. An android wifi tablet is the perfect solution.

Here's why I am keeping the PanDigital:
1. I like the look of the white frame around the pandigital.
2. The remanfactured unit is already upgraded to the Android 2.0 OS.
3. The resistive touchscreen is responsive to both my touch and a rubber-tip stylus.
4. And the battery life is great: when I'm not using it, it is not consuming any power and the wifi automatically shuts off in sleep mode.
5. The time to recharge back to full from 55% is relatively quick, just a couple of hours if memory serves my well.

Things that could be better:
1. Oh it would be wonderful if it was running Android 2.2 and then I can fully interact with flash websites. But this is a low cost alternative to the latest and greatest Android device.
2. I was able to download the Amazon Appstore (for the free apps of course) but as of yet I have been unsuccessful in finding ones that will download and install. I ended up going to a 3rd party website to get the Kindle app that would download and install.
3. And I wish it came with it's own carrying case or sleeve as the other eReader I purchased(and returned) did. Otherwise, I ordered up CaseCrown Faux Suede Case (Navy) for Pandigital Novel Digital Book Reader (PRD07T10WWH7), I've had other cases from CaseCrown and they do a nice job.

I'm thinking of ordering another one while they are in stock and the price is still low. But maybe I'll let you grab one first. And buying it through (Tormart via) Amazon is definitely the way to go for both cost and shipping. I showed the website to my students, so hurry and get yours before they do.

Cheers - iShar

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 4, 2011 10:40:29 PM PDT
Shirley says:
I haven't figured out how to download the Kindle app. What 3rd party website did you get the kindle app from?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2011 2:42:39 PM PDT
hello Shirley,

freewarelovers dot com and choose Android Platform. Lots of great goodies there. And the Kindle app works great on the Pandigital.

Cheers - iShar

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2011 6:55:02 AM PDT
Nu Mantra says:
Hey, I asked some questions via someone else's comment page. Afterward, I read sevral reviews about the problem with the screens on this item suddenly cracking, especially while being used on airplanes due to the pressure. Do you know anything about this? Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2011 12:44:28 PM PDT
chu says:
hi i shar i was interested in this tablet but only if the square credit card app works on it do you by chance know if it works on this pandigital tablet? i would greatly appreciate it :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2011 2:37:25 PM PDT
Hello Nu Mantra,

Sorry I have not heard anything about the screens cracking. Get a good case and don't sit on it and I think you'll be fine. I got the CaseCrown Faux Suede Case (Fuschia) for Pandigital Novel Digital Book Reader (PRD07T10WWH7) but in Navy and not Fuschia, though the bright pink color would make sure that you did not leave it behind someplace.

Also, Nu Mantra, I read about your troubles with the black PanDigital that you recently picked up at a store. Return it, for sure, return it and pick up a white one from here. Then as Paul S suggests, visit the slatedroid forum and upgrade to Android 2.1. You will still not have access to websites with flash content, but you'll be able to access the Android Marketplace.

Good luck - iShar

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2011 6:13:37 PM PDT
Hello chu,

I am unfamiliar with the square credit card app. Is that a standard Android application? Upgrade to Android 2.1 and you should have no problems.

Good luck and sorry I couldn't be more helpful,
iShar

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2011 6:31:58 PM PDT
Hello iShar,

Thanks for your response - several people have been very helpful both here and on Facebook. I did return the black one that I got from Best Buy yesterday. Interestingly, it appears that the one I bought - which was the last they had at this one store - was not the one advertised on their website - which just might be the black version of the white one. That is 20 bucks more than what I paid. I realized all of this after I shelled out nearly 200 for a white one at Bed Bath and Beyond - I have to admit that I did that only because I wanted to try the white one out before I made a decision to leap into buying a refurbished one. This one and the one I returned are worlds apart - My only gripe about it is that it is too heave as an ereader - There is a new one - the Planet - that is being sold and it is supposed to be lighter. We shall see where I take the plunge next. It is a good device for what I need it for, but certainly not at 200 - so I will take this one back too. I have not decided if I will stay with the Pandigital. What I really want is a kindle, but those tiny buttons make me nuts. I hope they come out with a kindle touch screen soon.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2011 7:44:02 AM PDT
Hello Nu Mantra,

If it's any consolation, I have a Kindle DX and have purchased Kindles for my Mom and Dad. When it comes to book consumption, I prefer to do it on the Kindle. I mostly use the PanDigital as a web-enabled device and I definitely use the stand that it comes with to keep it propped up. And I was specifically look for something around $100 that I could justify purchasing to use in the classroom; this white refurbished PanDigital meets all my requirements without updating the Android OS that it comes with.

If what you really want is a Kindle, then get a Kindle. =) Do it this month while they still have a Fathers Day Deal (although that deal is not as fabulous as the Mothers Day Deal). The tiny buttons will be of little consequence once you start inhaling (gigantic) books with just the press of a thumb button. Both my Mom and Dad have agreed that the Kindle is the best gift I've ever given either of them.

Good luck - iShar

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2011 8:40:48 AM PDT
Hey iShar,

Thanks for the input - I agree with everything you have said. I have spent so much time all night and morning researching if there is a way to load books on a touch-screen kobo or nook 2. I see there are ways, but I want something seamless and the only way to make that happen is to to just go with a Kindle. I even thought of a Nook Color since I can do so much with it as a tablet - and still I might go with it - but for reading, I do not see myself getting cozy with it. I want something smaller.

Also, the goal is to get away from all of this technolgoy that keeps me busy interacting on line - Going to get rid of the data plan on my iphone and just use a standard cell phone - and want to carry my many books with me on one small device to just enjoy reading in the park or the woods without all of those distractions I would be tempted to throw myself into with a tablet. Just as you have suggested, almost everyone with whom I have spoken has said Kindle is the best way to go. The only thing that keeps me from pulling the trigger is the keys and that corny directional pad on it.

To be fair, I have not had much time to try the thing out beacuse everytime I try to navigate the one here at our local Best Buy, the anti-theft alarm goes off, so I just give up and go play with something else - I might go to a larger Best Buy today and give it another try.
Who knows, maybe I will find an open-box item that will sweeten the deal.

Thanks again,

NuM

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2011 10:17:29 AM PDT
Which Version of the Kindle did you install on your Pandigital that worked, IShar ?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›