5.0 out of 5 stars Changed my life!, July 30, 2011
This review is from: 1-2-3 Magic: Effective Discipline for Children 2–12 (Paperback)
I have a really independent and strong willed little girl who is pretty sure she knows everything already and is in charge of the home. I also inherited a bad, bad temper from my own father, and a set of unproductive and rage-fueled methods for handling discipline in the home. I was terrified I would squelch my daughter's independence and irreparably damage our relationship, until I read this amazing book. It's a simple, incredibly effective technique that gives parents a rapid response to quietly and calmly shut down any obnoxious behaviour, along with encouragement to provide constant positive reinforcement and love. It has revolutionized my relationship with my daughter, who now knows exactly where the boundaries lie and what to expect when she violates them. I haven't slammed a door since I read the book, and I no longer fear that I'm perpetuating a cycle of anger and harsh punishment. Highly recommend it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 22, 2011 9:47:11 AM PST
Mrs.king says:
I agree. I just read this book, and last night my husband said to me that our five year old son and I were being unusually quiet and asked if everything is okay! I said that I'm tired of yelling and being frustrated. Despite the fact that our son is a big time tester, I can see it is already working for him. He accepts time out in his room, although there is some brief but dramatic "crying" for my benefit right after the door closes. Last night at bed time he tried to "count" me also, which I ignored. The biggest hurdle to overcome is to STOP talking! I have such a hard time keeping quiet, but it can be done.

Posted on Dec 31, 2011 10:50:48 AM PST
Your review just made me cry. I also have a very strong-willed daughter who has made our calm family life unbearable. And I have a wicked temper and bad reactions to stress inherited from my father. I've lost sleep worrying about how I deal with my little one and how it will permanently damage my growing relationship with her. I'm really glad you posted, and I'm going to try this book because honestly, I've tried everything else.

Posted on Jan 18, 2012 1:03:08 PM PST
Great review, just caused me to purchase this book! Soo appreciate that honesty, too, because I think we can all identify with exactly what you described in the first few sentences.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2012 4:35:39 PM PST
Mrs.king says:
This book was an answered prayer for us. Literally, I had been praying for some wisdom about how to handle the situation, and then someone gave me this book to read the next day!

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 5:30:04 AM PDT
DivaMom says:
I have not bought this book yet, but reading your comment is motivating me to get this book because I am like you. I have a strong willed daughter who is a big tester and I unfortunetaly inherited my bad temper from both my parents which is a double dose of temper. I also pray everyday that I could not yell at her but everyday I am tested and I fail miserably and I feel horrible. So I hope this book works but with all the good reviews I see this will be my answer.....

Posted on Jul 22, 2012 11:48:08 PM PDT
After reading your post, as well as the others, have decided to buy this book. I'm a single mother and have a 5 year old that really knows how to test me. I also "fly off the handle", also inherited from my father. I never thought I would be the same way with my children, but I am. And I hate it. I don't want to treat my children the way I was. Thank you for being brave and honest, seems like I'm not the only one. Now off to buy the book.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2012 7:00:28 AM PDT
Janice Bock says:
I have a very "active" almost 5 year old little girl. Did you like the book?

Posted on Sep 6, 2013 5:01:35 AM PDT
Has anyone used the workbook as well as the book book?

Posted on Sep 3, 2014 9:05:40 PM PDT
Buzzkill says:
Excellent review; I'm getting this book, based on your review. I identify with your circumstances. It's good to hear from those of us who are actively breaking the cycle of undignified inheritance.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2014 8:21:57 AM PDT
Gina says:
I could have not said it better myself. It was a great review, I could certainly identify with what she said as well . . .
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (420 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $2.64