Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

5.0 out of 5 stars Best racer on Vita by far, October 30, 2012
This review is from: Need for Speed: Most Wanted (Video Game)
Need For Speed: Most Wanted for PS Vita is absolutely amazing. It is the full console experience on the Vita, with just about everything intact.

The graphics in this game are absolutely stellar. Maybe not as good as its console brethren, but it is mighty close. The intro video seemed to have a couple of graphical hitches to it, so I figure it was the transition to a smaller screen and resolution. With the exception of that, and the noticeably HORRIBLE lights of oncoming cars (I noticed fire in Uncharted: Golden Abyss had the same problem), as well as the low resolution shadows (also another reoccurring problem), the graphics in this game are without a doubt, some of the best on the system. Every detail is there, and clearly visible and defined. The sparks from a blown tire or collision, the reflection of the sun off the car, the smoke from the tires as they spin. The environments are absolutely stunning as well. The buildings aren't just some low resolution texture, they're actually there, and look great. The environment is destructible, so as you're careening through a billboard, you're going to see it splinter and break. Everything is there, and it looks amazing.

The gameplay is absolutely amazing. As I said, it is the same exact game that is on the consoles. The cars feel great and controllable, realistic physics, great handling, and like I said, beautiful detail. There is no start up menu, which is actually a good thing. You can get right into the action, which you're going to very much want to do so. The menus are easy to navigate, and again, touch controls for menus are not necessary, and I don't even know if they're an option, that's how much I hate to use them. But anyways, gameplay is solid, if not better.

It is quite obvious this game is nothing but a blatant port however, there are some things that need to be worked on. Like I said before, during the transition to a smaller screen and resolution, some things were not taken into account, such as the bad quality of the intro video. However, the HUD too, was not changed, and some things are much too small. The map should be remade for the Vita, because it is too small and too much crammed into that small square in the quarter. And in an open world racing game like this, the map is an essential part of the gameplay. As well as the menu on the top right, it is too small to really be able to use it while driving, like is intended. Instead, you have to stop the car, and squint at the small letters and stats that are also so pivotal in the gameplay. Other than that, the whole game is there in a nice package, and well worth it.

The muliplayer is where its at in this game. The multiplayer is not toned down whatsoever for this game, except the player count. Consoles can have up to 8 players, while a lobby on Vita has only 4. Which isn't a big deal, I had such a blast with only 3 other people, I think if there was more, it might get too crazy and take away from the fun of it all. The multiplayer is open world, players can go wherever they want to, until the next race starts, and you have to race your way there. So really, there's a race in a race... you earn speed points and for the 6 set races or so, you rack up points by placing, taking down opponents, and other objectives. Very fun, very addicting.

Autolog is a big part of this game's selling point. "The most socially connected racing game ever". And they're right. It is, and its a big part of the game. Unfortunately, all my friends on PSN are stupid and have not picked up this game, or ACIII: L yet, so I have no way of judging if it is any good or not. But if the Autolog features are as strong as the rest of the game, especially multiplayer, if you have friends with the game, you're going to have even more fun, and the game will have an even higher value to you.

There are trophies with this game, and not really anything special to report, but I did get 7 in my first 20 minutes or so of playing... I'm hoping it won't be as easy as Resistance: Burning Skies or Skyrim...

I'm pretty disappointed that there was no Cross-Buy deal, or even any Cross-Play. The games are essentially the same, it would be nice if you could save your data on the PS3 and pick up where you left off on the Vita. But I guess you can't have everything...

So there it is, the best racing game on the system, thus far. I've been waiting since launch for a decent, long lasting game, and I think here it is. We'll see, but for now I've got my hands full with this game.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 30, 2012 4:35:53 PM PDT
PSN ID: FlowingWind Xbox Live Gamer Tag: FlowingWind

Nice review. My NFS Most wanted for the PS Vita and Assassin's Creed III: Liberation PS Vita bundle was delayed because of Hurricane Sandy (I live in Maryland). I canceled my NFS Most Wanted PS3 edition from Amazon yesterday and preordered it on PSN. I am downloading it now.

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 5:37:20 PM PDT
S. Leist says:
I appreciate the timely review, I just picked this game up because of it. This and AC3:L. Im loving this game so much I havent even cracked the case on ac yet. Let me know if you need someone to race with.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 7:28:05 AM PDT
Ben Silber says:
HEY!!! I'm in MD to, and my shipment of my AC bundle was delayed, but it's here now. I'm pumped to gett his game as well. great review, thanks!

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 3:51:37 PM PST
This review is spot on. This game is not only the best racer, but the best game on the Vita. Period. Like others, I too got AC3: Lib, and I have barely touched it due to how amazing NFS: MW PSV is. If I had to recommend any game for the Vita, this would be it. NOTE: I'm not a huge racing fan either, and I absolutely love the game.

Posted on Dec 11, 2012 8:10:56 AM PST
I bought this game on the psn store when it came out. Love it! Review is right on. Although i have noticed a glitch- which actually helps you out when you need xp- sometimes when your being chased by cops, lets say level 2 or whatever, it(the game) might unexpectedly raise your wanted level to max- just like that. 5 stars(or level, stuck in a gta mindset-_-) The good thing is, it ups your possible xp you can recieve by lets say 1,500 if you were on level two, to anywhere from 10,000 and up. The bad news, well, there is alot of cops on your tail, on the road, making it harder to escape. But if you are so lucky to evade the pursuit, which isnt to hard, you get a good reward. Anyone else have this happen?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›