Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Shop Popular Services gotS5 gotS5 gotS5  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Shop Now Learn more

1.0 out of 5 stars Started out great. Went bad after less than a year., March 9, 2012
This review is from: Panasonic VIERA TC-P55ST50 55-Inch 1080p 600Hz Full HD 3D Plasma TV (2012 Model) (Electronics)
I Returned 6 led tv's over the past 3 months. All had problems with the picture. I finally decided to try Plasma and boy I'm glad I did. No backlight bleeding, blooming or screen uniformity issues. Panny makes a great set with extremely deep blacks and a wealth of picture settings. The web options and apps are easy to navigate. I also like the stand because you can adjust the tilt slightly as most other sets tend to lean to one side or the other with no way to make adjustments. Motion is extremely quick and smooth and I actually prefer to turn the enhance motion feature off. This set is well worth the money. Please take my advice and think twice before purchasing LED sets, especially if you're a TV purist. I use to be a Sony loyalist and I am now converting everything over to Panasonic solely because of this set

************update*************

After a year of owning this TV I'm going from 5 stars to 1. This TV has really bad burn-in issues. Issues that can't be corrected via screen wipes. I still like Plasma picture quality over LED so I'm thinking of trashing this and going with another brand- maybe Samsung.

The other problem is with Netflix and YouTube. Netdkix has audi sync issues and intermittently doesn't work. There have been no new software updates in close to a year. If anyone can reccommend a good plasma, please let me know.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 10, 2012 12:11:23 AM PST
A. Person says:
SOunds like me, only I've returned a lot of plasmas as well the past few months. But ye for anyone who isn't sensitive to plasma, sucha s flicker or whatnot, it is just flat crazy to choose led over plasma, in my opinion! i never tried a plasma until the past few months and it amazes me how much better the picture is. Mostly due to uniformity/viewing angles! That alone makes a HUGE difference!

Posted on Mar 10, 2012 2:56:12 AM PST
J. Bentzen says:
In the same boat as you. Im on my second LED(1st-Samsung UN40D6000S, 2nd-UN46D7000L) and like the others Im getting the bleeding and some smearing on blacks and grayscales while gaming(even in game mode). I love the contrast and sharpness of an LED, Im kind of a torchmode viewer(high contrast). Before this LED I tried the Panasonic P50UT50 which is the step down from the ST50, and lacks the NeoPlasma panel, Infinite Black Pro filter and Pro Settings. It's stated the ST50 has double the gradation scale as well. I found the UT50 to be dim and was my main concern regardless of tinkering with the settings. It also had the faintest flicker, but I heard this is common with plasma. The blacks and colors were great, but the contrast and sharpness seemed to lack excessively compared to the LED's. I just could not get used to the picture, it seemed dark, dull and it had the impression of a lower res. image. Loved the fact that there was absolutely no motion blur or smearing during gaming which is a huge plus since I game alot. Also, even though image retention is now almost nonexistent, there's still a chance of it happening, and this really concerns me since I log in some pretty hefty gaming sessions. I feel I would be constantly paranoid I might cause IR. My question is, how is the brightness/contrast, and crispness of the ST50? How does it compare to the LED's you've tried? Thing is there are no places around here that carry the ST50, so I cant see it for myself which is frustrating. I'm very interested in this Plasma! I would appreciate any info you can give me! Thanks.

Posted on Mar 10, 2012 3:01:01 PM PST
A. Person says:
Even though I assume that's directed at the reviwer, since I'm in similar situations, I'll comment on some of that.

First off, with all of my past tvs I actually owned I used torch mdoes as well. I try not to now, although I'm starting to wonder if maybe my head and eye issues are from getting thigns so much dimmer than I ahev the past many years!

I noticed very slight flicker on this st50. Sometiems even if you don't notice it, it can still bother you too. Although lately I haven't seen it, technically.

I am currently using custom mode and actually turned contrast DOWN and it's still really bright. So if you really want it bright you can get it "bright enough", at least. On the st30 it seemed duller and of course Pansonic does claim the st50 is brighter.

I think as far as crispness and most all other thigns one wants in a picture it is great. To me I don't notice the blacks being worse than the sony hx929 and nx720. I'm sure they are, but I bet not too noticably much. To me it absically looks like those sony leds, but with far superior uniformity and viewing angles.

One thing though... it sure is feeling like an overn around it! Even with plasmas I have tested they never seemed to be this hot. May be due to me having it so bright though.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2012 1:46:22 PM PDT
can you tell me the power wattage for this TV? thanks
‹ Previous 1 Next ›