1.0 out of 5 stars Don't by this tv don't do it seriously don't you'll regret it, January 30, 2011
This review is from: VIZIO E470VA 47-inch Class LCD HDTV (Electronics)
I had a 2 year old 37" olevia aka spectra 720p tv I wanted to upgrade for christmas to a larger higher quality set for myself.

I bought this from amazon after doing a ton of research for 749.00 no sales tax and free delivery. The research seemed like it would be a good tv I had seen it in person in target the picture was decent. I was nervous about getting a vizio as it is well the low end product but everyone I talked to said vizio is a great brand to buy very reliable and good prices. HA It ended up being the biggest mistake.

First to start with amazons large shipping department is not like its reqular shipping. This is done by frieght carrier. I got a company called pilot. They lost the tv had lousy service and it took over two weeks to get to me. The people did a terrible setup job. Good note is that amazon handled this fairly well and discounted me 67.00 for my troubles. which made this a better deal.

The tv looked good after I fiddled with the settings. After the first day it shut off suddendly I thought I must have bumped the button. But not so it would just shut off at random. Three days it started loosing the sound in the middle of the show if I restarted the tv or hit the back button on my dvr it would fix the issue. I tried changing cables and then one of the HDmI inputs failed

Besides these issues the picture seemed decent the sound was decent it was a nice large size. For the price it was about the quaility I would expect but having a tv that loses power and sound isn't so nice so I called amazon and they sent a replacement. This time it was from a company called ceva who had excellent service, setup and the unit arrived promptly.

I get it setup and on the second day I started having issues with random power loss and loss of sound. I had it For me 700 bucks is a large expenditure. I wanted something nice and that works well. I'm terminally ill and spend 90% of my time in bed watching tv. So I really wanted something to make my life more enjoyable. A faulty tv is not this something.

I called amazon and did an exchange. After alot of research I choose a Samsung LN46C650 for 840.00 with a free wireless lanstick adapter. WOW this blows the vizio out of the water. The image and colors are a huge improvement. You get alot more features including internet tv. The samsung is 46" vs 47 on the vizio but you get so much more and the quality is 10x better. Even is you have to pay $250-300 more it is worth it to get the samsung.

Bottom line not reliable. Low price for low features and an ok picture if the unit works. Save some extra money and get the samsung LN46C650 or LN46C630. The vizio it is a decent picture where the samsung picture looks like you could walk right into it. Maybe other vizios are okay but this model is not it has big problem I got two units with power and sound loss and serval other reviews note the same issue. I won't buy a vizio every again.

The only good thing I can say is amazon does have excellent customer service and they went out of there way to make sure I was a happy customer and to meet my needs.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 8, 2011 8:01:17 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 9, 2011 7:02:44 AM PST
Denny S. says:
This E470VA model is a hidden gem for $679! The "random shut off" you mentioned is a rare glitch that happens once or twice during set up and never happens again. The picture is AMAZING with lots of options (check ESPN on HD!), and sound is very good provided you know how and when to use the SRS TrueSurround HD and SRS TruVolume. If you don't want to bother with extra sound features (some shows aren't suited for the advanced features), simply turn the features to "off" and set the custom bass and treble levels to your preference and leave alone. (Presets include classical, jazz, rock, flat.) Owners will discover very strong internal speakers here. The Samsung LN46C630 is not a better TV, though it does have the Internet option whereas this Vizio does not. However, the Samsung costs nearly $200 more! Buyers of this Vizio who give a solid week of viewing will never want another set. The few glitches are minor and go away.

Posted on Mar 25, 2011 1:32:20 PM PDT
D. Wells says:
I also had issues with Pilot when I bought mine. I purchased this as a second TV for the basement and I would say I prefer my older LCD over this Vizio. If it wasn't for the ridiculous low price I got on it, I would be extremely upset with it. For being 120hz, I get more blurring than what I get in my 2 year old 60hz. Sound quality varies too much for my liking so I have all the sound options turned off. When I try to listen to the sound through my home theater receiver, the sound isn't in sync. Once again, this same receiver didn't have any issues with my other LCD.

Posted on Jul 30, 2011 10:37:31 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 30, 2011 10:41:23 AM PDT
Denny S. says:
For all who experience "volume fluctuation" (and also sound drop outs for DISH customers), please use these sound settings to get excellent dependable sound performance.

My recommended Vizio E470VA sound settings to end volume fluctuation:

SRS TruSurround HD: Off
SRS TruVolume: Off
Equalizer: Flat
Bass: 65
Treble: 80

Note: Keeping SRS features set to "off" will correct the sound volume fluctuation. Now, since I like SRS features on *some* programs, I use them only for select shows and movies. But I keep them set to "off" for most of my standard viewing. I recommend you do this too, since the special SRS sound effects do lead to volume fluctuations on some channels and shows.

+++++

A word to ***DISH customers*** who experience sound cutting out with the Vizio E470VA. The problem has an easy fix. Using your DISH remote control, select:

Menu --> System Setup (option #6) --> Audio Output (option #7)

When you get to the "Audio Output" page, use the following settings:

Set "Volume Leveling" to "DISABLE"

Set "Decoder" to "PCM ONLY"

Set "Mode" to "RF"

Presto! You'll never have the sound cut out again on your E470VA. Never. Not ever. You'll have amazing stable predictable sound.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2011 6:56:04 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 12, 2011 6:56:32 PM PDT]

Posted on Feb 9, 2012 9:11:01 AM PST
Teri says:
I have had my Vizio 37" four years now and it is still going strong. Beautiful picture and all components still work amazing. CNET reviewers give Vizio a thumbs up for quality, pricing and overall design. The only things I've heard is Vizio is not a widely repaired t.v. so you might not want to buy a used or refurbished one.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2012 1:57:12 PM PDT
After going through all that I purchased a Dynex also a year ago and am satisfied with the the features-sound-picture-it`s a 32 inch-now it`s time to go bigger in another room -
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

2.9 out of 5 stars (42 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $800.00