1.0 out of 5 stars An OK Color Tablet and eReader, September 21, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Initially I gave this THREE STARS ... AFTER attempting a firmware update (see UPDATE below) I give this ONE STAR because it makes an interesting paperweight/conversation piece.

............................................................................................................................
ORIGINAL REVIEW

Christmas in September? ... Not so much :(

"Color eReader with Kindle" made my heart beat faster and made me take the leap of faith. Twitter was all aflutter about the Pandigital products on sale around the web. People were boasting how they hacked it, turning it into an Android tablet they were tweeting from. FYI, that "hack" voids your warranty. You are stranded if all doesn't fare well. I'm risk-averse, not good bleeding-edge geek material.

I was looking for a nice upgrade from my 2nd generation Kindle w/3G. Color, Android Apps and multimedia were a few additional features I wanted ... +Color is there, +Multimedia is too for MP3 and MP4, +tablet is expandable up to 32GB, ~Android Apps are available through the Amazon AppStore, -Android Marketplace doesn't recognize this tablet.

But I'm getting ahead of myself a bit, lets go back to the "out of the box" experience. It has almost all the items necessary for a good experience with the tablet except a stylus and screen cloth.
Helpful hints:
1. Pay attention to the detailed instructions. Save yourself frustration, grief and a call to Tech Support (1.800.715.5354) They're a gem, very pleasant, knowledgeable and patient OR you can send an email to receive help within 48 hours.
2. Learn how to RESET the tablet, keep a paperclip nearby...I'm on my THIRD reset. When all else fails Tech Support tells you to reset back to factory settings :(
3. Use your fingernail TIP, Back of fingernail or a stylus to interact with the tablet...fingertips don't work. DO NOT SKIP the touch calibration step, you'll be less frustrated in the long run.
4. Learning the Reader Functions in advance helps IMMENSELY.
5. Have fun in the Amazon AppStore!

Frustrations:
-it drops wifi frequently, even in the same room with the router, worse in other parts of the house.
-looping, locking and disappearing keyboard; being stuck in either alpha or numeric is a pain since most IDs etc are alphanumeric
-slow response, having to "force close" pages often because of my own impatience...tapping pages twice doesn't make it go faster I learned.
-at one point Tech Support thought some functions were taking too long and my unit may be defective. I thanked him and went back to the instructions and made sure to calibrate the screen touch which improved screen performance/interaction. I'm inclined to believe it's just the way the Tablet functions.
-stutter paging going forward or back while reading in the Kindle app...UGH
-you need to keep your charger cord with you, each charge lasts about 6 hours AND it doesn't charge from the USB cable
-Youtube playback is too pixel-y, Facebook is slooow.

In some ways this tablet IS an upgrade to my Kindle 3G BUT in others it's a giant step backward; battery life, responsiveness, good wifi/3G... If you want an economical entry into the tablet/eReader market, this is an OK choice for $100. Otherwise save your money to purchase what you really want in a Tablet. This helped me decide more things I want in an ANDROID TABLET besides access to Twitter ... Santa I hope you're listening!

12/26/2011 UPDATE
DON'T DO IT!!! Just don't do it! Pandigital announced a firmware update and I thought better access to Android Apps everyone else uses - yippee. Holy #FAIL, the Christmas crowd crashed the website, jammed the phone lines AND reamed Pandigital a "new one" on Facebook. After 3 hours of attempts getting to the Pandigital website for the download. It cr@pped out after downloading 1.5% (20 minutes elapsed time). After 3 attempts, I'm here writing this update.

Pandigital is all apologies on Facebook ... DO NOT waste your time or money! IF you gave it as a gift, you may be in the dog house until this time NEXT year AND the recipient will be sweating you the whole time...Good Luck!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 27, 2011 12:40:12 PM PST
Lynrie says:
Downloaded the announced White Pandigital Novel WPDN) Firmware update from Pandigital website early this morning. Took only 15-20 minutes to download and auto-update. Surprise... Kindle is gone, Barnes & Noble Nook is in it's place. EMAILED Pandigital, phone lines still jammed, web site limping along. Wish me luck on this continuing saga :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2012 12:53:23 PM PST
Mel says:
Any luck? You could probably jus download Kindle, since it's an app. Don't know why they switched them out though.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2012 7:03:22 AM PST
Lynrie says:
Facebook has Pandigital pages and forums for so many of their products. For this particular product Pandigital Novel White 7" (WPDN) Fans share info and "fixes' for nearly everything... "the older version of kindle 1.3.0.8 from freewarelovers.com" .Actually it seems freewarelovers.com IS the answer to obtaining most apps since the Android App Store doesn't seem to recognize this tablet for purchasing/downloading ANYTHING (another sore subject with WPDN fans).

Although there are enough geeky tidbits and discussions to keep one amused; like upgrading internal memory ...
I haven't found a definitive answer WHY Pandigital didn't include Kindle in it's software/firmware upgrade. With Kindle's own new range of products I'm not sure anyone would buy one of these instead of a REAL Kindle Fire!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2012 5:07:00 PM PST
Mel says:
I should have listened to you. I just tried the firmware update the other day and no matter what I try, I can't get the Kindle app back. And I tried getting the app from freewarelovers but my reader says the file is too big or gives me a parse error. It's horrible. And I found Pandigital's phone number, and I called them, but 8 hours later and they haven't gotten back to me. It makes me sad. :( Hoping my family will take pity on me and give me a Kindle Fire.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2012 10:51:30 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 19, 2012 10:54:50 AM PST
Mel,
Make sure you have an SD Card on board and try freewarelovers.com again for Kindle 1.3.0.8 It's the latest version the Pandigital fans indicate works; it works for me.

I had the same errors (parse, too big...) when: 1-NO SD card installed 2-8GB SD card filled with too many goodies from the Amazon App Store.

Future Reference: IF Amazon App Store problems, I've gotten assistance from Amazon's Kindle Tech Support - NOT REGULAR AMAZON Customer Service their "helpfulness" nearly hosed access to my MAIN Amazon Account!!! :((

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2012 1:34:01 PM PST
Mel says:
I gave up. I'm getting a Kindle Fire in a few days and Amazon is letting me return the Pandigital for a refund.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2012 2:06:53 PM PST
Lynrie says:
Good for you... Pals say you'll really enjoy the Kindle Fire. I'll be looking for your review :)

Posted on Apr 18, 2012 6:37:47 AM PDT
Lynrie says:
Mel, I purchased a Kindle fire at the recent "Refurbished Kindle Fire Sale" . I enjoy it so much more than the White Pandigital Novel NIGHTMARE.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›