Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services gotS5 gotS5 gotS5  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Learn more

4.0 out of 5 stars Video Quality Breakdown, September 13, 2013
This review is from: Rocky: The Undisputed Collection (Rocky / Rocky II / Rocky III / Rocky IV / Rocky V / Rocky Balboa) [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
If you are looking at this you know this is a classic series of movies. I am here to attempt to review the quality if the blu-ray transfer for each movie. I want a potential buyer to know what they are getting when it comes to a the video quality presented in this set

Case:

The design here is compact and neat. There is an oversized blu ray keep case that holds all 7 discs. The discs are in back to back holders.

Image Quality

Rocky :
This is definitely the best quality we have ever gotten. There is a question as to weather or not this is the best possible transfer we could get, but it is very difficult to judge something on conjecture. Anyway, the aspect ratio is 1.85:1 with a 1080p/mpeg2 transfer. This is the same remastering as the 2006 blu ray and we may not get a better version for a long time.

While watching the movie it looks very good, but there is significant noise on the screen at pints which can be distracting. This definitely comes from the movie being an older print but it is far less noticing e when looking the outdoor scenes.

Rocky II

The transfer here is AVC-encode. The image is far nicer than you have ever gotten before but thee is still some noise from the original content. I do not know why but the final fight scene seems to pop more than the rest of the movie. The scenes becomes a tad sharper somehow.

Rocky III

This transfer is beautiful. It doesn't blow the first two away but it is definitely a nicer clearer print. This movie does showcase what Blu Ray can do for you. There is so much detail in faces and on skin that it really helps you want to watch this version. Dark scenes have some shadowing issues but this is still a very nice transfer.

Rocky IV

Again we have a 1080p/AVC encode and boy does it look special. This movie in blu-ray is a treat. Faces look incredible, everything shines and colors look absolutely fantastic. This asks you to take notice. There is very little static from the source through the movie but the contrast is incredible. The black areas are as black as they are going to get. This movie showcases what you are missing out by just watching the movie on DVD.

Rocky V

I removed a star in my review because they included this film. Kidding! Five is not the most popular Rocky movie out there, though to tell you the truth I don't hate it. Alright and now I'm back. AVC-encoded yet again but somehow we have a step back in quality.

The picture is a bit darker than previous movies but there is a lot less noise present.

Rocky Balboa

Thus is the same transfer as the 2007 film blu ray release. This is the best of all of the discs but I guess that is to be expected when a few decades pass. Finally a Rocky movie with no noise and no artifacts.

Special features

Just two extras I found to be notable that increased my enjoyment of this product

Feeling strong now game. This is Very similar to
DVD scene-it and it is actually fun to mess around with

In The Ring- making of documentary. This is a fantastic three part making of that is 75 minutes long. Part one is all about what it was like to film the movie in 28 days while parts 2 and 3 focus on the loves and motivations of the actors other than Sylvester Stalone.

So finally if you like these movies and you are interested I hope you can use this as a quite for you to judge if you want to see this movie. There are many conflicting reports relating to weather or not the quality on these blu-rays are what you are expecting so I hope I have been able to clear things up a bit to allow you to make your own decision.

---------------------
Note:
It has been brought to my attention that'll review is now under the heading of a slightly different product that may have higher quality.
This post came from somebody in the comments if you would like to check it out.

(((Message from a helpful amazon commenter)))
"Note his review is about the (undisputed collection.)And now there is a new better one coming alone or repackaged with the other movies. Old one was mpeg-2, new one is Mpeg-4 (AVC). It is said to have:
English: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 (48kHz, 24-bit)
Spanish: Dolby Digital Mono
Japanese: DTS-HD Master Audio Mono

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 18, 2014 4:35:19 PM PST
JJ says:
excellent review. thank you very much. I will be purchasing this set based on your review.

Posted on Mar 11, 2014 6:19:47 PM PDT
Anooj Zaveri says:
Excellent review about picture quality. But would you be able to share some information for the audio tracks used? Do all of them contain DTS-MA audio tracks? Or are we getting some DD 5.1? Just curious before I jump on this box set as I love all the movies.

Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2014 8:47:41 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 2, 2014 8:48:32 AM PDT
As I do for all my own reviews, I must thank you for focusing upon the actual quality of the transfer to BR, although you make no mention of the audio quality. I read yesterday that a new, remastered Rocky collection has been released and see that your review is from 9/13. Not sure if your review pertains to the new one I read about. I had bought the Rocky set a couple of years ago and returned it due to the lousy imaging so any help from you would be appreciated.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2014 5:42:00 AM PDT
TNS says:
Note his review is about the older transfer. And now there is a new better one coming alone or repackaged with the other movies. (I hit this comment while looking at the new Rocky: Heavyweight Collection. Old one was mpeg-2, new one is Mpeg-4 (AVC). It is said to have:
English: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 (48kHz, 24-bit)
Spanish: Dolby Digital Mono
Russian: Dolby Digital 2.0
Japanese: DTS-HD Master Audio Mono

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2014 5:49:19 AM PDT
broctune says:
Thank you for pointing this out, I will have to update my review.

I think amazon may have merged my review with other reviews of similar products. When I go to my review page the description still states that it is 'The Undisputed Collection' and not the 'heavyweight collevtion.'

I will do my best to leave a note reflecting this.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2014 7:05:53 PM PDT
Dave Cordes says:
So does this include the new 4K mastering of the first Rocky? I have the first Bluray box set from 2006 which is the older encoding. Trying to determine if it is that much of an improvement just to upgrade.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2014 5:29:56 AM PDT
Really Dave, If you have the 2006 Blu ray set, (The Undisputed Collection, The Complete Saga) there's not really enough incentive to buy this latest set, (The Heavyweight Collection). Yes, the first Rocky is provided with a 4K master which is only marginally better than the original Blu ray version. All the other films in this latest set are the exact same Blu ray transfers from the previous sets. Do give the new set a go though if you insist, but I've always felt the first Rocky of the 2006 set had a more than decent restoration anyway.
As for the rest of the films transferred to Blu ray to date, these are the only restorations that still exist. They're a little dusty in places, not as clean as they could be, but their actual HD quality is more than acceptable, pretty strong for the most part.
It's quite possible that these may be the only ever HD versions of Rocky 2 to 5, certainly on a physical format anyway, and we don't need to bring Rocky Balboa into that issue as it comes originally from a digital process anyway.
Personally, I always appreciate a really good High Definition picture, like most of us do these days, and the 2006 Blu ray set of Rocky has never failed to impress me too much, it lives up to expectations enough overall.
Cheers Dave.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2014 11:20:19 AM PDT
Completely agree with Mr. Cummins...they did a good job on this most recent release and the first Rocky provided a better and cleaner imaging than the 2006 release. Rocky Balboa, the last of the series was always good in terms of its BR imaging. Sequals 2-5 are the same poor transfers that the 2006 collection had.

Posted on Oct 28, 2014 8:21:25 AM PDT