1.0 out of 5 stars Deception and manipulation, September 23, 2008
This review is from: The Total Woman (Mass Market Paperback)
If a feminist is someone who believes in equal pay for equal work, equal opportunity in the workplace, and respectful treatment for all women, then I am a feminist.

Am I "radical feminist"? No, I just believe that women should be taken as seriously as men are.

Am I "man-hating radical feminist"? Nope. I adore my husband and he reciprocates. My sons-in-law are pretty cool, too.

And because he also believes in equal pay for equal work, equal opportunity in the workplace, and respectful treatment for all women, not just for me and his daughters but for all women, he's a feminist, too.

But this book, written as it was decades ago for a small segment of the population, seeks to not only turn back all the gains women have made in the past 40 years, but also to shift the basis of marriage to manipulation and dishonesty.

My very successful marriage is based on the love, admiration, and respect my husband and I have for one another. Our relationship is based on those feelings, not on my fear that another woman will grab him or that he'll punch me out, or his fear that I may make more money than he does or usurp his "role" - whatever that is - in our household.

It goes without saying that if you love someone, you treat them the best way possible and try to create a harmonious home. You don't need to disturb him at work - especially if you're at work yourself - to give him phone sex. You don't forbid him from ever seeing you at less than your perfect best. (If that's what your marriage depends on, what happens when you age and lose your sex-kitten looks?) You don't automatically surrender your brain and defer to his "greater authority" when you disagree, but instead engage him in respectful discussion to try to understand his perspective and clarify your own. You don't hide your strength and treat him like a stupid, easily manipulated dog. You don't disrespect him by assuming that he can be deceived by stupid dishonesty.

All of the above is what Ms. Morgan recommends in this book.

If I did most of what Ms. Morgan advocates, my husband would be out the door. He appreciates me with all my flaws, my intelligence, my strength, my willingness to let him see the negatives as well as the positives about myself, and my honesty. This book is about deception, manipulation, and dishonesty.

This is Christian? I think not. I hope not.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]