5.0 out of 5 stars Great everyday companion, January 15, 2010
I have owned several Victorinox knives, and all have performed extremely well. In fact, I have never had one fail me. The supertinker is, in my opinion, the best knife for EDC because of the selection. You get a great amount of utility crammed into a very small package. This is a three layer knife, but it is still thin enough to carry in your front pocket. I carry mine everyday and hardly notice it.

The large blade: Great for general cutting tasks, comes scalpel sharp and stays that way for a reasonable amount of time.

Small blade: Same as large blade, except lighter duty tasks. I keep mine razor sharp and it usually opens envelopes and makes precision cuts.

Scissors: I have heard a lot of folks complain about the backspring on these, and let me say that I have a Vic knife that I got 17 years ago, and the scissor spring never broke. I lost it about 5 years ago, but it only costs about 2 bucks to order a pack of springs from Victorinox. The Wenger scissor spring wears out long before 17 years and is not replaceable. That said, these scissors do their job perfectly.

The cap lifter/flat blade screwdriver: Probably my favorite tool. Not only does it open bottles and turn screws(really tough ones that are frozen), it is the best prybar you can ask for. I have pried so many access panels open that it should have broken, yet their literally isn't even a scratch on it. A+ to Victorinox for their polish technique!

The can opener/small flatblade: The can opener is just that, a can opener, and it excells. The flat blade works well on eyeglasses.

The phillips head: I love this tool, though I pull out the Leatherman for most screws, but this one provides better grip for torquing tough screws.

The hook: I really don't use this much, but when I need to pick up something hot, it proves invaluable. It also works great for pulling wires and the like.

The reamer: I cannot describe how useful this tool is. I once disassembled my Xbox using only this tool and a screwdriver. It reams, punches, scrapes, cuts, pokes, prods, and anything else you need a sharp poking device for. It also works great as a fire starter coupled with a ferro rod.

The toothpick/tweezers: I actually use the toothpick for it's intended use, and it works great as long as you clean it. The tweezers are some of the best around. Very precise.

All in all, I highly recommend this knife to anyone. It doesn't matter if you plan to carry it in your pocket, bag, purse, keys, or if you plan to keep it in a drawer, you WILL find it useful and VERY reliable.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 10, 2011 2:43:33 PM PDT
P. J. Carter says:
Thanks for the great review!! Especially the fire-starting capability of the reamer. I would not have thought of that.

It can also be used to 'drill': to make a hole and enlarge it. I've used one on another knife for years to make an fast hole for a screw, in framing and woodworking. As soon as I saw the reamer on my new Super Tinker, I thought, it's an awl too, with the needle hole, and you could make a pair of moccasins with it.

Also thanks for the hook explanation.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›