5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, fast, and reliable, October 3, 2011
This review is from: Linksys X2000 Wireless-N Router with ADSL2+ Modem (Personal Computers)
At the time of writing this review, I have been using the router for approximately two weeks.

In summary, the X2000 router is a great piece of equipment for homeowners with DSL or cable internet.

I personally have been using AT&T DSL for about two years now. I live in a rural area where AT&T DSL is the only reasonably priced broadband internet available. I fought and fought with my old DSL modem (a Siemens 4100) as it would drop the connection a couple of times a day, necessitating a manual reset of the modem. I lived with this thinking that the cause of the connection dropping was my rural location - my speed tests showed quite a bit of latency and other indicators that my connection with the DSL switch was sub-par. My connection was also very slow - rarely would I see download speeds in excess of 50KBps per second and typical download speeds were about 30KBps. Again, I lived with this because AT&T DSL is the only broadband service available in my area that doesn't cost $100 per month or better. "Living with my problems" was quite silly - this simple upgrade costing less than $100 has fixed most of my problems.

After one particularly bad day where I had to reset my modem six times in the period of about two hours, I broke down and bought this router from one of my local electronics stores.

Install was a breeze - it took approximately fifteen minutes from unpacking to surfing the internet. Simply insert the provided CD into your wi-fi enabled laptop and follow the onscreen instructions. You'll need your AT&T user name and password (this is not the 6 character AT&T network password!). Upon entering your AT&T user name and password, the router will ask you for a WiFi password and reset itself. Upon powering the router back up, you will be connected to the internet. It's really that easy.

As usual, there are also a lot of network customization options available under the hood of this linksys router. I've been using linksys for about 10 years, and was very happy to see that despite the ease which linksys has provided with this most current generation of wireless routers, they still allow advanced users to customize connections to their heart's content.

While I truly appreciate the ease of setup and the ability to customize network settings, the best part of this router is that I have not had to reset it since I finished setup. I have not once dropped a connection. My latency times have also improved drastically - from about 80ms to about 25ms. I also have full use of my admittedly slow connection speed now - I frequently see download speeds of around 70Kbps which is what I would expect from a 768Kbps down connection. The only downside is that the range of the router is rather narrow for a 802.11n rated router. If I move much more than 30 feet or so from the router, my 300Mbps connection downgrades rather rapidly. However, as this is primarily designed as a router for home users, I do not see this limitation as a design flaw but rather an inherent part of being a router designed for in-home use as opposed to being designed as an enterprise quality router.

To AT&T: Please stop providing crappy modems.

To linksys: Bravo! This is a fantastic piece of equipment.

[Add comment]