Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

5.0 out of 5 stars It deverves more than 5, March 16, 2005
This review is from: Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (Hardcover)
I just finished reading this wonderful book, and I really can't describe all the feelings swirling inside of me. This is more than a book with a story, it is an experience.

When I write my reviews I never describe the plot of the book, because Amazon does it very well, and of course other people do it in their reviews....so no need.

Well, even if I wanted to describe this book I couldn't. So again, I will just tell you why I loved it.

Mr. Foer is a wonderful writer. I had not read his first book yet, although I will do that now, but something in the description of this book caught my eye, so I tried it.

I laughed and cried and even when I was laughing, I was profoundly sad. I loved the characters and their flaws, their fears, their stories, their realistic humanity even among such unrealistic situations. I just can't describe how much I loved this book or why, but it has been put on my shelf of favorite books, to be read and reread, or experienced and experienced again. Again, it made me so sad and yet, when I was done, the sadness was mixed with such wonder and even hope. Mr. Foer, you are a marvel, to the readers, don't miss this one.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 28, 2009 7:49:45 AM PDT
K. Casbon says:
I so agree. I've never cried in a book ever (OK - I did once... I was in 5th grade and reading that book about the dogs where one dies and the other dies of heartache... but i don't count that) and I was sobbing by the end of this. I've never felt such an attachment to a character. It was definitely an incredibly moving book that I agree is more of an experience than a simple story.

Incredible.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2010 2:32:29 PM PDT
Julie says:
I second both of these posts. I'm not much for crying in general, but there were parts of this book where I cried hard -- like, that sloppy, noisy sobbing that leaves you exhausted and puffy. It was amazing.

And, "Where the Red Fern Grows" killed me in 5th grade too...

Posted on Jul 7, 2010 7:34:47 PM PDT
AJ says:
Absolutely agree 100%. I also cried. Not so much because of the tragedy but of the growth you see each character experiencing as you are experience it with them. They are tears of wonderment, joy, beauty. An absolutely wonderful story - I have been telling everyone I know to read it.

Posted on Sep 13, 2011 2:06:51 PM PDT
Carolyn says:
I totally agree with you! It's even better the second time around without all of the confusion. Renter? Thomas?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2012 7:38:27 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 24, 2012 7:41:20 AM PST
OK guys in spite of quite a few reviews to the contrary you have convinced me to read this book : another great emotional read is Edward Abbey's marvellous "A Fool's Progress" I also thought Wally Lamb's "She's Come Undone" initially a very mentally painful read but ultimately a triumphant literary experience.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›